Salvation Mamba OR Salvation Angel E ?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Without a doubt buy the Angel E & then buy a Jaded Faith SnakeBite.

The Angel E is wicked and has a ton of tonal options. The SnakeBite & Mamba are both modeled after the same amp.

The SnakeBite: sounds better, is quieter, more versatile, costs less and you'll have it within a month.

This is my take on them:

The Angels that I had all had a Marshall-ish midrange (that I liked and dialed in) but it cuts for leads quite sharply...It's really tight and more versatile than it gets credit for...At lower gain settings you get some cool vibes and most models have cool options...

As one who has had a Platinum Snakebite and a MambaSE...Both are good....I prefer the MambaSE as it I prefer its sheer brutality and that is not saying the Snakebite is wimpy- it's also a monster...But if there someone out there with a MambaSE, I have a Platinum Snakebite to trade.... :)

Clearly opinions vary widely here on this subject... In any case, I've not tried a Snakebite (which I've mostly heard more praise about than the Mamba), but I did have a Mamba for a few days, lol. I found it to be very aggressive gain-wise, with a-lot of gain/tone shaping options, with plenty of compression. However, I found that it lacked 'bite', or 'growl'. Just a bit too 'soft' or 'smooth' for me I suppose, and did not cut through a mix nearly as well as my SL-OD100 or R'Verb. But, this is just my experience with it, and it was in and right back out. But, maybe you'll really dig it as many here do...

I've had both, and while the Mamba is a killer mod, I feel the Snakebite eats it for breakfast.

JayDA said:
I've had both, and while the Mamba is a killer mod, I feel the Snakebite eats it for breakfast.

Perfect for my classifieds...Thanks!

I would like to trade a Killer module straight away for one that will eat it for breakfast....

http://mtsforum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=18975Matt Fig is practically giving them away!!!! :lol:

Well i didn't intend for this to be a mamba vs snakebite...
I was looking for opinions on the mamba vs angel...
So... back to the original context..

So... if you had to pick ONE... ONLY ONE, to have in your rig...
And these were your only two choices....
Mamba or angel ? And why?

Mattfig said:
This is my take on them:

The Angels that I had all had a Marshall-ish midrange (that I liked and dialed in) but it cuts for leads quite sharply...It's really tight and more versatile than it gets credit for...At lower gain settings you get some cool vibes and most models have cool options...

As one who has had a Platinum Snakebite and a MambaSE...Both are good....I prefer the MambaSE as it I prefer its sheer brutality and that is not saying the Snakebite is wimpy- it's also a monster...But if there someone out there with a MambaSE, I have a Platinum Snakebite to trade.... :)

To simmer down my original point...The Angel(s) are very tight and have awesome midrange....The Mamba is also tight but very gainy and deep....If you down tune, the Mamba might be good....If you solo, the ANgel is surely where to go....

Well I suppose I should have read the actual title of the thread before commenting....to many beverages after work. The Wad is right....back to the original topic.....

I have a lot of modules, never had either an Angel or Mamba (or snakebite but I'm however very familiar with the Framus cobra (the model for the Mamba mod) and I own a Engl E580 (the top of the line monster Engl preamp).

I'd say your question somewhat depends on what you like. Being an American I suppose you have been "exposed" to one mesa rectifier or two, did you like it? Just wished it was more "brutal"? That is perhaps a starting point if you decide going for a Framus mod, eg the Mamba.

Generally Engl does very impressive cleans and "modern" high gain, somewhat bright and modest midrange, IMO great for technical stuff (far beyond what I'm capable of really).
This was the first time (1998) I first heard the "Engl sound;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3Ql62s94iI

The only thing I like about of this Swedish band is the guitar sound, Engl invader or savage x2, very unaltered faithful Engl tone though.

I very briefly owned a mesa rectifier preamp (which is to go with the 2:100 recto power amp). I sold it quite soon since I thought it lacked "bite".

I actually had to make that choice.
I chose the Angel E over the Mamba SE.
It just sounds more refined, thick, and clear.
It's not quite as "brutal" as the Mamba, but they both do high gain very well.
I LOVE the 4 band eq and can get it too sound like anything I want.
I couldn't do that with the Mamba and always heard a slightly harsh high end that I hear in most MTS modules. Some people love that cutting tone but I don't.
The Angel E still cuts through live with its clarity and huge tone.

I'm not the only one either.
Every one of my guitarist friends have picked it as the best by far.

I also have the Snakebite "Venom" and still like the Angel E better, even though it is a truly crushing mod.

I've been trying to get Rob to make an Engl mod based on the Invader or Special edition. He got sterted on it and then got busy with the LA amp show.
Hopefully he will get back on it.

Feel free to hit him up on that if it sounds interesting :wink:

Latest posts