Anyone using a Palmer PDI-09 live?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stratotelepaul

Reaction score
I'm currently using an E609 to mic up my MTS 212 cab live. I'm pretty happy with the performance of it but just been watching a lot of 'rig rundown' clips and see many guys (like Keith Urban, Brad Paisley, ect.) are using these. Just trying to find out if anyone around here has tried them with MTS gear. Yes, I can't leave anything alone for very long :lol:

I use two Sennheiser e609 mics with my custom Celestion cabs. I haven't tried a variety of mics but these sound good and I know a lot of guitar players who use them. They are very convenient because you can simply hang them down from the top of your cab without having to use any special mic stand.

Graham, I am happy with the 609 too, I was just curious as to why these guys opt for a DI vs a mic'd cabinet. I'm assuming it's to reduce the number of mics on stage...less chance for feedback and bleed over.

Another vote for E906 or E609 for regular miking....Lotsa people using sims these days....I like Two Notes Torpedo Live, especially if you need a load box...But have heard great stuff about the Palmer and also see it in many rundowns but haven't encountered one in person actually in use...If you don't need a load box then there's even more options...

I actually have a PDI-09 mounted to the tube protector on my Mod50. Put a mic jack on the tube protector so I just plug the mic cable into that, the PDI-09 stays connected permanently.

Was using a E609 but find the PDI-09 to be much more consistent from show to show and especially from venue to venue. No more worrying if the mic is in the same place on the cab, etc. Makes set up much easier and again the consistancy is amazing.

I use a couple of Hughes & Kettner Red Box Pro cabinet emulators and I'm quite happy with them. Have any of you used these or compared them to the Palmer PDI-09? Are they functionally equivalent?

ned, I like the xlr on the tube protector idea! Make things as easy as possible for the production crew and like you said, consistancy! Does the Palmer emulate your Mod 50 sound closely, or does it require a fair amount of eq to match what's coming out your amps speaker?

The entire concept here is to produce consistent results as easily as possible. Anyone who has spent their fair share of time miking cabs will tell you there is a good bit of luck involved. Every variable matters: the mic, the speaker, the cab, the room, what's going on around the mic, the weather, humidity, etc. This all plays a HUGE roll in getting consistent miked results. Sims remove most of that equation completely.

As for if it sounds like what's coming from your speakers, that's a broad question. It entirely depends on the voicing of the simulator and what speakers and cab configuration you choose to use. If they are not in the same ball park, they won't match. But you will get very consistent results time and again via the simulator, which is very valuable to professionals. Particularly when time is money in a live setting or in the studio.

Speakers and the cab you load them into are the single biggest variable in your tonal chain, hands down. No amount of tube changes, modifications or other tweaks to the amp can accomplish as much as a single speaker swap can.

A lot of times we are playing very small gigs where space is at a minimum so I use a GSP1101 straight to the board. Bass player uses a POD HD500 straight to the board at every gig.

There is very little eq on the board channel strip with either the PDI or the GSP as I tweak my amp using the PA mains (SRX715's). Both my rigs are set up that way and I mostly monitor through IEM's so we have control over stage volume.

Graham - the Red Box and PDI-09 are functionally equivalent but the PDI doesn't require a battery or phantom power.

I have a similar setup. My gigs vary widely from tiny bars where I've been trying to use just my POD HD500...not so satisfied with the tones, to outdoor festivals that have crowds in the 2-5K range in which I use my RM100 & the mts 212 loaded with neo speakers and the HD500 strictly for fx. I use IEM at all gigs now to save what's left of my hearing :)