Jaded Faith SVP. Anybody get one yet?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whoopysnorp

Reaction score
I've been distracted from this forum a lot recently, so apologies if this is a retread, but I noticed this on JF's site not too long ago. I occasionally need to record some bass in my apartment, and this module might be an excellent thing to have in the arsenal. So far I've been using my Voodoo Twin for this purpose, but if this module can give me the tone of my SVT-II without me having to fire up all 300 of those watts, I may well be spending some money on this.

Only one has shipped to a top producer in LA (does scores for Disney). He only had it for a day and thought it was broken, but we found the issue to be a time clock problem in his studio. It just went back west today.

Jaded Faith said:
Only one has shipped to a top producer in LA (does scores for Disney). He only had it for a day and thought it was broken, but we found the issue to be a time clock problem in his studio. It just went back west today.

I'm looking forward to checking it, too. :D

It will be fun to do a comparison between the SVP and my Ampeg V4BH, which is essentially a 100 watt SVT with four 6L6's, two 12AU7's and two 12AX7's. Which tubes are you putting in the SVP?

The demo sounded amazing!

I should have one in a couple of weeks. I have been using my twin mod for bass and it is alright. However, I have been wanting a JF Ampeg mod for quite a while and soon one will be mine mine mine.

I had a rare ampeg J42 a long time ago and liked it. Like a lot of those ampegs, you had to turn them up to ear splitting volume to get a tone to really sing as they had no gain knob.
The SVP has a gain knob but it is not like a high gain kind of thing...hard to describe...kind of like a Manley preamp for a mic where you get a sort of musical distortion. I bought this mod for bass and I like a clean tone but with a bit of warmth and that is what this mod does for me.
At some point I am going to record my Danelectro baritone guitar with it....that spaghetti western sound with a lot of reverb on it? It kills that tone! Lots of bottom end with a nice bright high end and smooth middle.

Well that's the second time in a week a customer used a mod in a way I wouldn't have intended and the results were way cool! Last week Rossness cranking the Wrecked with all knobs on '10' was KILLER and I have never tried anything but my Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass through the SVP. Trying it with guitars were never even a thought.

Guys, keep in mind that Ampeg made a V-4 and a V-4B.

The V-4B is a 100 watt version of an SVT, which is 300 watts. The EQ was designed specifically for bass guitar. As someone that owns an actual Ampeg V-4B, I find it to be unpleasant for guitar.

The V-4 guitar amp was a completely different design and featured reverb.

Yeah, I did not buy this as a guitar pre amp. When I was describing the tone I was referring to the kind of bass tone I like. For Bass it is unbeatable. For a certain style of clean baritone guitar sound it slays. I would not use it for a heavy bari kind of high gain tone. It is just not that kind of amp IMHO.

Ulf said:
We need a V4 module!!!

Sorry Ulf, these modules are FAR from an ideal platform for this due to the tubes (12DW7), voltages available (a touch low in the MTS amps), configuration of the stock PCB (see the next point), the inductor-based Midrange and the fact there are three VERY different versions of the V4 throughout the years. Most folks aren't familiar with them and the differences. They just say so-and-so artist uses one (typically with fuzz boxes in my experience)and think that's the tone of that amp.

For the price you would pay for a module, you could buy the amp! I'll never get a $600 price tag on a module. I have AMAZING amps I got for around that price....entire amps!

No worries my friend! I combed through the schematic before my last post and there are just too many challenges associated with this to make it feasible. Even if it could be done correctly, to be accurate would require nearly $150 in parts to just construct the Midrange selector pot! The parts are hard to come by and replacements go at a premium. This alone would price the module in the stratosphere.

That said, there are few nice 70's V4's on eBay right now for $599. :lol:

Have a great weekend,
Rob

Rob is right in that any time you heard an artist with an Ampeg that had a crunchy or high gain tone, it was from a pedal. As I said in an earlier post, in order to get them to really sing, you had to dime them and that would make your ears bleed. It was a cool tone, to be sure, but very limited. I know that the Stones did a tour using them and they were endorsing Ampeg for a year or two. However, the tomes on most Stones albums were from a Fender Deluxe and sometimes a Vox AC30. The old Ampegs were a different story. I think Rob did a Reverberocket for someone last year. Those amps were cool!