JF R'Verb vs. Salvation Stonerverb, your thoughts?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corium_AZ

Reaction score
I currently have a JF R'Verb that I like very much. However, I have an opportunity to pick up a used Stonerverb at a good price. Has anyone here had both, and can comment on the differences, +/- of each in comparison? The major draw for me to the Stonerverb is the optional dedicated 'clean' channel. I love the real rockerverb's cleans, and would love to have access to that side of things. My RVerb does clean up fairly well, but that clearly is not the focus of the RVerb.

Thanks in adavance for your responses!

I have had both?They are both good in their own way?I still have and use my Stonerverb all the time?I liked the Rverb when I had it but it sounded more SLO-like to my ear than Rockerverb?.Not a bad thing, but I like the Stonerverb because it sounds closer to what I was after?Mean, British tone.

Mattfig said:
I have had both?They are both good in their own way?I still have and use my Stonerverb all the time?I liked the Rverb when I had it but it sounded more SLO-like to my ear than Rockerverb?.Not a bad thing, but I like the Stonerverb because it sounds closer to what I was after?Mean, British tone.

Interesting you would say that, as I also found it to be very SLO-ish on the high-gain settings. Actually, I could get the exact sound from my RVerb as my SL-OD100 when A-B'd. That's the sole reason I traded away my SLO, cuz I could get SLO tones, but with the added versatility of the orangish lower gain. I take it the Stonerverb exhibits a bit less compression when pushed? And, how do you find the clean side of the Stonerverb? And, how does the Stonerverb take OD/TS pedals when on lower gain/clean settings?

Corium_AZ said:
Mattfig said:

Interesting you would say that, as I also found it to be very SLO-ish on the high-gain settings. Actually, I could get the exact sound from my RVerb as my SL-OD100 when A-B'd. That's the sole reason I traded away my SLO, cuz I could get SLO tones, but with the added versatility of the orangish lower gain. I take it the Stonerverb exhibits a bit less compression when pushed? And, how do you find the clean side of the Stonerverb? And, how does the Stonerverb take OD/TS pedals when on lower gain/clean settings?

Interesting we both heard the same thing?

Anyway, my Stonerverb is the Starz version meaning it doesn't have a clean side?.All toggles shape the mean side?However, I've had a standard Stonerverb with the clean side and it's amazing?It takes a boost wonderfully and (on the clean side boosted) can get a nice Plexi-ish tone?I love the Stonerverb?.

I love my Stonerverb Starz and was really impressed with how useable dialing down the gain made it for clean. I may have been playing with my gtr's volume knob a bit (it was when I first had the module), but it sounds very Orange to me. If you get the version with a dedicated switch for a clean channel it should be totally useful.

Also ordered a Mandarine Graphic, and it's been in my rack for a few months now. I think Anthony really has the Orange thing down.

(I've not had a chance to play the JF R'Verb, so my comment's mileage may vary for you.

Oregon said:
I love my Stonerverb Starz and was really impressed with how useable dialing down the gain made it for clean. I may have been playing with my gtr's volume knob a bit (it was when I first had the module), but it sounds very Orange to me. If you get the version with a dedicated switch for a clean channel it should be totally useful.

Also ordered a Mandarine Graphic, and it's been in my rack for a few months now. I think Anthony really has the Orange thing down.

(I've not had a chance to play the JF R'Verb, so my comment's mileage may vary for you.

Agreed?.I just grabbed a used Graphic?There ain't much out there about it?.I know it's based on an entirely different amp but still in the Orange (and Matamp) family?.How do the Stonerverb Starz and Graphic pair up???

Thanks?.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. But **** you all! The last thing I needed right now is to have to go out and spend $300+ on a Stonerverb, lol. I love my RVerb, but if I can get similar or better out of the Stonerverb plus the clean options, sounds like I'm gonna have to pull the trigger. If so, I'll report back here with my own thoughts on the comparison. ******, right before Christmas too, lol

Awesome! This is going to make my choice easier, thought now I've got to decide whether or not to go Starz...

I've definitely got a Dual Stonerverb in my future. I'll go ahead and send another stock module to get done at the same time...what to pair it with??? :)

I will likely not part ways with mine as well. I also truly love my VybeDeluxe, and not just because I worked out the first one with Rob (a great experience - I love the tones from vybroverbs and vybrolux's - and Rob had already totally studied the amps when I asked him to make mine).

The reason I went with the Starz version of the Stonerverb had a lot to do with what The guitarist who Antonin created it for (jeff Schroeder of Smashing Pumpkins current lineup) had said here in the forum. It just feels like the current Orange (Queens of the Stoneage) sound.

Play with the gain and you'll see how versatile the module is.

Extrageration said:
I've definitely got a Dual Stonerverb in my future.

Sadly, no...I asked about this a while back, and Antonin told me it's not possible, unfortunately. Something to do with a larger-than-usual gain pot, therefore not enough room. I'll try to find the post...

Ok ,well I picked up a used Stonerverb by way of buying an entire loaded RM4, lol. Came from Australia, and it's the 'De Large' version - which means that it's got a 3-way mid-shift switch and 3-way 'pre-bass' switch (bass boost/cut as far as I can tell). It retains the clean channel as well. And, tonight I had a chance to A-B it with my R'Verb (which I also had a 3-way 'tight' switch added (bass boost/cut)).

The Stoner's clean is nice, but not compelling enough to use in lieu of my Vybe Deluxe (the Vybe sounds better). It is nice to have there, as it makes the mod more versatile, and it does sound nice, but not near as nice as an actual Rockerverb's clean channel IMO. The 'clean' channel is a little bit hairy, even with gain at 7 o'clock, when playing full chords, but gets crystal clear/clean with the guitar volume turned down a bit. Though, it's better to keep gain up a bit closer to 10 o'clock so as to not completely lose the bottom end. Kinda clean Plexi-ish to my ears. The clean side does take OD/TS pedals very well, and I actually prefer the pedal-driven 'clean' channel over the drive channel of the Stoner. It's less 'fizzy'.

The drive side of the Stoner, I'm not quite sold on yet. It is very 'fizzy', which I suppose I should expect to a certain degree with an Orange mod. It sounds good and toneful, with a very 'woody' thump when chugging/palm-muting. It is somewhat versatile here, but as I said, I prefer an overdriven clean channel on this mod. No fizzyness there...

R'Verb - Only hairy cleans can be coaxed from this, but that's by design I suppose. You can get awesome low/mid-gain tones from this guy though, which is what I like best about this mod. And, with the gain up, or hit with an OD/TS it gets straight into SLO territory. It doesnt have as nice of an organic, woody nature as the Stoner, but it's close. However, the R'Verb is MUCH more harmonically rich, IMO. Full chords strummed at high gain just sparkle, and every string can be heard ringing through. This is not nearly as apparent with the Stoner, at least not in my rig. This is the best trait of the R'Verb IMO, and the real Rockerverb exhibits the same - also it's best trait IMO.

So, the Stoner wins on versatility, and the R'Verb takes it on harmonic complexity and overall tone.

I need to spend more time with both of them, but as of now I think the Stonerverb may go up on the block soon, as I'd have no use for both.

I recently played the R'verb and wasn't all that impressed. I thought it would be killer but was let down a little. The Stonerverb is the way to go for Rockerverb tone in an MTS rig. I didn't find the R'Verb to sound like a SLO in the slightest. Then again, the only SLO tone I want is the Warren DeMartini/ Lynch/ LA vibe. While I think the Salvation does the orange more accurately, I think the JF SLOD blows the Salvo out of the water for SLO goodness. I'm going to be ordering the JF shortly.

The Rossness said:
I recently played the R'verb and wasn't all that impressed. I thought it would be killer but was let down a little. The Stonerverb is the way to go for Rockerverb tone in an MTS rig. I didn't find the R'Verb to sound like a SLO in the slightest. Then again, the only SLO tone I want is the Warren DeMartini/ Lynch/ LA vibe. While I think the Salvation does the orange more accurately, I think the JF SLOD blows the Salvo out of the water for SLO goodness. I'm going to be ordering the JF shortly.

For SLO tones it's always best to go after a SLO based module?I was only saying that the Rverb had more of a SLO quality than Orange?.Although I thought the SLOD and Rverb were quite similar too so maybe it's how I dial in?
My Salvado Deluxe and Stonerverb sound completely unique and give me great SLO and Rockerverb tones...

Mattfig said:
The Rossness said:

For SLO tones it's always best to go after a SLO based module?I was only saying that the Rverb had more of a SLO quality than Orange?.Although I thought the SLOD and Rverb were quite similar too so maybe it's how I dial in?
My Salvado Deluxe and Stonerverb sound completely unique and give me great SLO and Rockerverb tones...

You two have completely different playing styles and I'm not at all surprised by your observations.

Corium_AZ said:
Ok ,well I picked up a used Stonerverb by way of buying an entire loaded RM4, lol. Came from Australia, and it's the 'De Large' version - which means that it's got a 3-way mid-shift switch and 3-way 'pre-bass' switch (bass boost/cut as far as I can tell). It retains the clean channel as well. And, tonight I had a chance to A-B it with my R'Verb (which I also had a 3-way 'tight' switch added (bass boost/cut)).

The Stoner's clean is nice, but not compelling enough to use in lieu of my Vybe Deluxe (the Vybe sounds better). It is nice to have there, as it makes the mod more versatile, and it does sound nice, but not near as nice as an actual Rockerverb's clean channel IMO. The 'clean' channel is a little bit hairy, even with gain at 7 o'clock, when playing full chords, but gets crystal clear/clean with the guitar volume turned down a bit. Though, it's better to keep gain up a bit closer to 10 o'clock so as to not completely lose the bottom end. Kinda clean Plexi-ish to my ears. The clean side does take OD/TS pedals very well, and I actually prefer the pedal-driven 'clean' channel over the drive channel of the Stoner. It's less 'fizzy'.

The drive side of the Stoner, I'm not quite sold on yet. It is very 'fizzy', which I suppose I should expect to a certain degree with an Orange mod. It sounds good and toneful, with a very 'woody' thump when chugging/palm-muting. It is somewhat versatile here, but as I said, I prefer an overdriven clean channel on this mod. No fizzyness there...

R'Verb - Only hairy cleans can be coaxed from this, but that's by design I suppose. You can get awesome low/mid-gain tones from this guy though, which is what I like best about this mod. And, with the gain up, or hit with an OD/TS it gets straight into SLO territory. It doesnt have as nice of an organic, woody nature as the Stoner, but it's close. However, the R'Verb is MUCH more harmonically rich, IMO. Full chords strummed at high gain just sparkle, and every string can be heard ringing through. This is not nearly as apparent with the Stoner, at least not in my rig. This is the best trait of the R'Verb IMO, and the real Rockerverb exhibits the same - also it's best trait IMO.

So, the Stoner wins on versatility, and the R'Verb takes it on harmonic complexity and overall tone.

I need to spend more time with both of them, but as of now I think the Stonerverb may go up on the block soon, as I'd have no use for both.

Ok, well I had several hours just to demo/test my R'Verb vs the Stonerverb, this time at full volume. The above was with me playing the RM4 straight into my DAW using RedWirez speaker cab IR's. I only had a few minutes through my RM100 last time to make the comparo. I swapped pre-amp tubes, tried a JJ, Tung-Sol, Ruby and EH in V1, to see what positive effects I could conjure out of the Stoner. No major improvements there. I preferred the JJ's, but then again I seem to prefer JJ 12AX7's in all of my modules. They just seem to be a bit warmer and promote the 'shimmering' harmonics that I like.

I will have to 'take back' the comments on the fizzyness of the Stoner, and the inability to dial out the hair on the clean side. Neither of these traits were apparent through a power amp into a real speaker cab. You could detect some fizz with the noise gate switch turned to off, but it was very subtle. And, the clean channel remained so all the way to gain at about 10 o'clock - making it a very useful clean.

However, I maintain the rest of the previous comments. The R'Verb is more harmonically complex, and just has a sweeter tone to my ear. The Stoner seems a bit more sterile in that regard, but does have a nice, woody kind of overtone, especially when palm muting. If I could get that in my R'Verb, there really would be zero contest IMO.

The Stoner is far more versatile with the clean channel and all the switching options, with a much wider gain range. So, if I had only one mod slot, it'd probably be filled with a Stonerverb - as it has pretty good cleans, that overdrive very easily and nicely with pedals. But, I have 3 slots. And, my Vybe Deluxe has a much better clean tone, and is itself extremely versatile in the clean/lo-gain/mid-gain ranges using pedals or not, and with more harmonic complexity (this apparently is very important to me, lol).

I should note that I had Rob install (by his suggestion) a 3-way 'tight' switch on my R'Verb soon after buying it. This really beefed up the low end, and makes it into a much, much better module. Without this addition, I'd definitely favor the Stonerverb, as the lack of bottom end is less favorable than lower harmonic complexity, for me at-least. So, I recommend anyone considering an R'Verb get this $40 addition. It's 100% worth it!

So, I sold the Stonerverb, as I have no use for both. I was actually really expecting the Stoner to be noticeably better, just based off of comments on this forum. I kinda had myself convinced even before playing it, lol. But, after a ton of time with them side by side, the R'Verb is tops for me!