wanting opinions :-)

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny Wadd

Reaction score
Hi, building a little custom rack here, and just putting stuff in...
What do you think is the best order of components from top to bottom?
Not from a signal chain aspect but a visual aspect?
Currently I have it set up like this:

Power conditioner
GCX Switcher
Tuner
Decimator
RM4
Lexicon pcm 80
TC 1128 midi eq
RT2/50

Thoughts??
IMG_20131114_201557_686_zps1a09400c.jpg

In my racks, I try to use the shortest patch, MIDI, and power cords. The lengths of these cords usually determine the best configuration.

None of my racks is as complex as yours however.

The important thing is that you left a good amount of open space above the RT2/50 to allow cooling. It's also good to have the weight at the bottom so it won't fall over easy if someone walks into it. (like at a gig where people are drinking and on the "stage" where they don't belong.........and tripping on the cables.......and putting their drinks on your amp...........and deciding to give you a hug so that all the spike jewelry can impale itself into your guitar.....you know, that stuff.)

Yep, power amp on the bottom, rack conditioner on top?Then I usually put whatever I need to access most on top and things I set and forget near the bottom?So I am not crawling around more than I need to?.

I put my G Major2 on top of the preamp just because I use the tuner in it and it seems easier to see up there. I love the old school Randall badge on top.

Yes, I thought the old orange and randall badge was kinda cool :)
Its and old amp cabinet, modified to hold my rack junk.

One of my big considerations is also how deep each item is. For example, if you sandwich a 4" 1 space unit between to 12" deep units, you'll have a real hard time reaching the connections if anything ever goes wrong.

The only visual thing important in a rack, is, when the lights go out,
it better show more lights than the cockpit of a 747 :lol: