JF cleans?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Rossness

Reaction score
I think I want to pick up a JF clean module and am not sure what direction to go. I'm looking for lush, warm cleans with the right amount of jangle and spark.A module with great headroom is a must. I also play Ska and something for that wouldn't be bad either. I'm looking at the Super Clean, Vybe and Texas Special. What are the differences between the modules?

I have a Superclean and I think it would give you what you are looking for. I can't compare it to the others. I do think though that the Vybe is probably better suited for bluesy cleans and with the 'squish' people describe may not be best to cover the ground you are seeking.

I've got all three modules that you mention and either the Super Clean or the Texas Special would do you proud.

The Super Clean is just that, sounds like a Roland JC120 but somehow lusher (guessing because of the tubes), there is not really any break up so that is worth thinking about too in case you want the pushed thing?

I personally think the Teas Special is the business ? think Fender meets Mesa ? it reminds me of the clean channel on my Mark II boogies, which is just about the best clean I?ve ever heard. It actually knocked the Super Clean out of my Mod 50 which I thought was an impossible ask!

The Vybe Deluxe is a tour of all the famous vintage Fender clean (ish) tones, and you can get pretty pushed and gritty with it, probably not what you?re looking for?

So if you are looking for straight ahead pristine cleans go for the Super Clean, if you want a bit of grit go for the Texas Special ? either will sound fantastic though!

webrthomson said:
I've got all three modules that you mention and either the Super Clean or the Texas Special would do you proud.

The Super Clean is just that, sounds like a Roland JC120 but somehow lusher (guessing because of the tubes), there is not really any break up so that is worth thinking about too in case you want the pushed thing?

I personally think the Teas Special is the business ? think Fender meets Mesa ? it reminds me of the clean channel on my Mark II boogies, which is just about the best clean I?ve ever heard. It actually knocked the Super Clean out of my Mod 50 which I thought was an impossible ask!

The Vybe Deluxe is a tour of all the famous vintage Fender clean (ish) tones, and you can get pretty pushed and gritty with it, probably not what you?re looking for?

So if you are looking for straight ahead pristine cleans go for the Super Clean, if you want a bit of grit go for the Texas Special ? either will sound fantastic though!

I dig mesa cleans. This might be the ticket.

I have the Texas Special, the Twox and the Vybe Deluxe... the Texas Special is my favorite, though each of them have their place!

What I love about the Texas Special is that you can get that deep, bell-like tone... like a late 60s, early 70s Fender Pro Reverb. I had a Pro Reverb and sold it after I got the Texas Special. I played them back to back and I really couldn't see that I was giving anything up by selling the Fender. It will also give you a little jangle and spank if you want it.

The Vybe Deluxe is also gorgeous, but it's a little squishy on the bottom. Amazing for those clean Hendrixy things. It feels a little more lush than the Texas Special... I guess if the Texas Special was a Steinway, the Vybe Deluxe might be a Bosendorfer ;-)

The Twox seems to be in the middle to me... I like the extra thickness of the Vox setting, especially for arpeggios with my Eventide pedals ;-) The Tweed side of it gets into the Stevie Ray territory very nicely!

That said, I am still interested in getting a Super Clean... I would really like something with NO breakup at times. I love these other modules for the character they bring, but sometimes I prefer to let the effects I use carry the day.

Each of these mods is like a different color in your sonic palette, and I for one, can't have too many colors! ;-)

I have the Super Clean in my RM50 and it is absolutely amazing. Some of the most pristine cleans I've ever heard.