Foglifter question...

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JKD

Reaction score
Looking at one of these for a MOD50 (or RM50) is there a way to go from stock to 'lifted' via switch or is it permanently on once modded?

I know, people will say once you go there, you won't want to go back and I say yah boo sucks to those people! :)

It would technically be impossible to have a Foglifted-to-stock switch for a few reasons:

1- There is no default "stock" value. There were variations throughout the years based on the parts in stock when runs of amps were built.

2- There is no way a single switch or pull pot could switch between all the changes that would need to be made between my circuit and the "stock" one...whatever "stock" was in your given amp.

On top of that, I have also encountered amps that had errors in their assembly with pots reversed!

you don't need to wire this to a switch. Returning your sound to stock is dead easy. Pull a horseblanket out of your linen closet & throw it over your amplifier. Voila! Pre-Foglifter MTS

VitaminG said:
you don't need to wire this to a switch. Returning your sound to stock is dead easy. Pull a horseblanket out of your linen closet & throw it over your amplifier. Voila! Pre-Foglifter MTS

+1 here... I would have gotten right back out of MTS when I found it were it not for the foglifter... RM sounds completely dead and lifeless without it IMO. Trust me, you'll not have any reason whatever to return to your previous setup.

My 1250's and one RM100 are foglifted. The RM100 KH will be sent soon for a foglifter and a few other tweaks by Rob.

I have ignored the KH lately because it's not Foglifted. The others just sound so much better!!!!

Is it possible to plug in the Foglifter backwards on an RM 100? I followed the directions and have been playing for a few months but after reading this thread and seeing the comments on the "huge" difference in sound, I am second guessing my install. Course it may be my hearing!

L82theParty said:
Is it possible to plug in the Foglifter backwards on an RM 100? I followed the directions and have been playing for a few months but after reading this thread and seeing the comments on the "huge" difference in sound, I am second guessing my install. Course it may be my hearing!

It might depend on how you are used to setting your Density and Presence controls.

I never could set the Density up high - too boomy/unfocussed on the RM100....with the fog lifter it's tighter and useable through a bigger sweep range.

On a stock amp, the Presence doesn't kick in till late in the dial and gets harsh quickly...but this may have changed in later iterations of the amp....with the fog lifter, much more useable range.

I also think I'm hearing a slightly more forward mid push.

I think the overall effect is quite subtle but much more useable and gets less subtle the more Density/Presence you use.

I'm new at Foglifters, others may have more to share..

I wouldn't say the Foglifter makes a huge difference in my RM50 with mid gain, vintage sounding mods. maybe it's a metal thing. maybe theres a bit more clarity
I would like to hear a comparison of the two vendor's products (vs. MDA)

withmittens said:
I wouldn't say the Foglifter makes a huge difference in my RM50 with mid gain, vintage sounding mods. maybe it's a metal thing. maybe theres a bit more clarity

If you do that, please keep it to yourself or you may end up starting another round of sh't.....

withmittens said:

Rob's forum might bit be best place for this but here goes. I think they are aimed at improving more or less the same things on the amp, the difference is in features.

The Foglifter seems to be aimed at giving a base all round improvement - by that I mean, more useable range of Presence/Density. It also feels like the mids are a bit more present.

The MDA aims to do the same but with some added features - ability to wire up a switch to go back to almost stock position and a push/pull for two different voicing. The MDA is very dramatic when the put is in the pulled out position.

One additional difference, I think Foglifters are available for all MTS/Egnater amps but not sure the MDA is.

ricky said:
withmittens said:

If you do that, please keep it to yourself or you may end up starting another round of sh't.....
:lol: :lol: :lol: superb

The Foglifter will make a difference in every MTS amp out there, however just how much varies with the model and style. For example, the RM100 and RM1250's have had a lot of stock boards that weren't even built to specs. So if you have one of these the difference can be dramatic. Most RM50's were correct to spec, so the difference may not be as large.

You will see a difference from stock regardless, as the frequency shaping is different (both pots are voiced higher than stock was for airy highs and focused lows) and the range of the pots are much better. Depending on how you dial your amp in and the speaker/cab style you mate it with your results will vary.

This is one significant quirk of a do-everything system: they are all SO different from each other even though they use the same system. I generally don't give "instant gratification" settings for mods for this very reason. An RM100 head through a 4x12 needs way different settings than a RM20 through an open back 1x12.

The Fog Lifter does exactly what it says it does, it gives your amp life

A few years ago, networking with other local MTS users LoD21 and MYDEMISE realized that the amps were reacting very differently with some of their favorite modules.

They would get a module sounding killer in one of their heads and then swap heads and it would sound noticeably different in the next head.

No matter how painstakingly precise modders try to be with their mods, there are always slight variations in tone from module to module. Part tolerances vary, tube types, tube age, etc... all make subtle differences from amp to amp, but the results they were getting we more drastic than that.

After exhausting every possibility - I won't go into them all, but TRUST me, no stone was left unturned! - LoD21 and MYDEMISE decided to take the chassis out and examine them for differences. Once apart it was noted that the values of caps and pots on the density boards were different. After much research LoD21 found out that the Lynchbox had a different presence/density board and after introducing the Lynchbox, they just started putting that boards in all the RM100s. The head that sounded the best had what the guys at Randall called the "old" density board. I'm guessing it was the first run of density boards that were closest to Bruce's original spec, but could be wrong. LoD21 got the last 2 Randall had, installed them and BAM the heads all sounded much more similar

A year later I bought a second NOS RM100H from Rob and had him inspect the density board before he shipped it to me. His findings were the same as ours, the values were matched to a Lynchbox, not our other RM100Hs. We got the values to Rob and he modded my density board and all was good

As always, Rob played around with things a little more and found ways to make an even bigger impact with the upgrade and the Fog Lifters were born!

I agree with what others have said and with the fact that you will hear the biggest impact in your higher gain tones. The difference is very apparent even with clean modules, but when you get a Snakebite, Ubersonic or serious high gain monster in there, watch out! It's like they're jumping out of the cab to attack you!

One word of advice that has served me well is to pick your favorite module that has the least low end and set your Fog Lifter to favor that module. Then pop in your modules that have more low end and reduce it accordingly. You get more uniform thump this way. Some of the modules have less low end by design and those are the ones that benefit the most from Fog Lifters

It's the best 40-45 bucks you're gonna spend on your amp, trust me!

Keep the Faith!

H

Rob, I was under the impression that your foglifter would not work on an RM4 or the RM 20. Are you saying that it will work on both?

ricky said:
withmittens said:

I had no intention of starting a round of ****, glad it didn't devolve into one. I was just throwing in my .02 experience with my setup. I guess this is Rob's area, maybe i should pose such a question on a more general area. Kind of wish Salvo had an area too but I guess he doesn't hang around here much

I can tell a different with the Foglifter, just very subtle with my setup. Not upset i bought it