Parker Guitars

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

L82theParty

Reaction score
I am wondering if anyone has one or has any significant amount of playing time one. I am looking to get into a lighter weight guitar,(Lester Custom is just too heavy for a 3 hour tour, bad discs) I looked into a Parker, fly's are too much $$$ but I was wondering about the one's in the$900-$1200 range. There are not any dealers locally(MN,WI) and the couple guys I have spoken with locally that have tried them said the one's they played felt kind of "alien"

I have an SG that works well as far as weight but after 2 years of playing it, it still seems like a G chord is a mile away! Thanks

Well, I can lend some insight here, at least...

For the last couple of years, my main guitars have been a Parker DF-524, and a Gibson SG Standard. Incidentally, weight is an issue for my back as well.

So basically, I consider the Parker my pseudo-semi-superstrat, and it covers that ground very nicely. Though it lacks the standard Parker leaf spring tremolo system, I've seldom had any tuning issues, even with moderately heavy bar use. The neck does feel somewhat unique. I would describe it as feeling really 'flat', as it's thinner even than an Ibanez, for example, but personally, I like it, and the longer scale suits my large hands. Plus, you have the piezo pickup, and unlike some Parker models, the pickups are easily replaced on this one.

Alongside the SG, it's sort of an apples-to-oranges comparison, really. I have always found Gibsons to feel somewhat 'clunky', but kind of in a desirable way, if that makes sense. And the difference in configuration is enough that they can cover a lot of ground between them.

I guess the bottom line is that I use the two in very different ways, and would even say that I play them differently than one another. But personally, I kind of want to give the Parker the edge here, and at some point if I can find a Parker that can cover the ground of the SG a little better, I might just go ahead and replace the Gibson.

Anyhow, I hope that helps. If you have more specific questions or want me to expand on anything, please just ask.

Thank You for the response. I was just looking through hear tonight and forgot I even posted this. I found a Parker for $200 bucks. Light as a feather and the neck is thin but a lot like my favorite strat(believe it or not) It is a non-vibrato model #30 or something. Replaced the stock pick-up with a Lollar P-90 neck and old Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge. It is now and has been for abut a year my main guitar. Only drawback is the body is on the smaller side and I have had to adjust my playing style for solos slightly, but after four sets I do not even feel it. The SG remains my backup and every once in awhile, there is nothing like that big *** 50's profile neck to rip on. Again thanks and good luck with the disc/back issues. I have been dealing with it for about 14 years. Kelly