A not outrageously priced, but toneful mono rack power amp??

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhombus

Reaction score
Does one exist?

Of course I would love a VHT 2150, but I don't even think I ever want to run a stereo rig, and they are well known and loved, so they're worth a lot. Unless I sell my Rev F Dual Recto I don't see myself ever buying one of these.

However I would like some amazing EL34 power for my RM4.

You could get Frenzel to custom make one for you. He made me a stereo, single ended Class A power amp that used (1) 8 pin tube ( EL34, 6L6, KT77, 6V6) per side. 10 - 12 watts per side for most tubes except with 6V6 it will put out 5 watts per side. It was $1000. I'm sure he would make you a mono version or a push pull class A/B version for more power. Only problem with his stuff is the enclosure. Kind of flimsy and the graphics are decals, not screen printed. I made my own face plate, so I am happy now. Also it is a 4 space rack unit so it's a little big to gig out with.

What sort of budget are you talking about?

You can get Mesa 2:90's for under $1K on eBay or if funds don't stretch to that you could look for either a Mesa 50/50 or a Marshall Dual Monoblock EL34 which you could only run one side of if you want mono?

Most rack power amps are Stereo - all the newer boogie ones (20/20, 50/50, 2:90 and the recto 100/100). The older Boogies (Strategy 500 / 395 / 295 / 400) are all like the Marshall Dual Monoblock where it is effectively two separate amps and you can run only one side if you want, thus giving you a mono amp. VHT/Fryette are the same as the new boogies 2150 (50/50) or a 90/90 version, don?t know on the older amps (classic etc.).

If you ditch the tubes you can look at the Rocktron Velocity 100 / 300 (which you can run as mono) or the older Marshall 8008, again you can run that as mono.

Hope some of that helps ;-)

I consider $1k+ outrageous... If you feel the same I'd recommend the Randall RT2/50, an excellent power amp in general, and as versatile as the rest of the MTS stuff. I've seen them go for $450 to $800 on the used market. Another low $ option that I've heard is great for the $ is the Carvin TS100. $600 brand new, and I've seen them go for $300 used. Can run EL34's or 6L6's (or a combo I believe). Look 'em up, I think you'd like either one.

I find that last comment about a $1000 power amp being too expensive very discouraging personally. For example, I could build an exemplary custom mono tube power amp. Even as a dealer and going through my suppliers (far more affordable than consumer pricing), quality transformers and a good enclosure alone would be $600 cost. You still have to deal with the rest of the costs. This amp would absolutely crush, not at all a price-point cookie cutter piece.

It just goes to show how accustomed to cheap products made overseas with corners cut we have become I guess.

It's all relative Rob... And I mean no disrespect to builders/craftsmen. I understand business and the costs involved in crafting the product. But, on the consumer side, it's ultimately just a matter of available resources ($), available alternatives, and priorities. $1000 is not an easily afforded sum for many if not most. And, even if it is easily afforded, I think the smart decision would be based off of what else is out there. i.e. I've heard almost nothing but praise for the RT2/50 power amp. And, if this power amp fills the bill, then why would anyone spend more than the $700 it takes to grab a used one in good shape? Same goes for the Carvin TS100. If it sounds great to someone's ear, and isnt a bomb as far as reliability goes, why pay more than the $300 to get one? Now, if your ears tell you that a Freyette, Mesa, or custom built power amp is worth the extra $, then it makes total sense to spend it if you've got the $ to spend. And, for me at least, it's a prioritization thing too. Is that extra $1k better spent on a possibly marginal improvement in guitar tone, or is it better spent on recording, mixing, mastering, or radio promo for my band? And, I have interests outside of music that are just as compelling. Do I want to drop $1k more on a bit nicer sounding power amp, or spend that $1k on an exhaust system for my Mustang, mods to my motocross bike, or airfare for my wife and I to Hawaii for a week? Lol, it's just all relative.

Hell, I'd be tempted to start snatching up RM100's, since they seem to sell for about $350 unloaded, and find a way to shove the power section into rack mounts. For my purposes, and to my ears, the RM100 power section is excellent. Maybe I just don't know what I'm missing (if so, it's probably better that way, for my wallet)? And, if nothing else, in my case, I'm not nearly good enough of a guitar player to justify much more than $1k on an amp, lol.

I was thinking about asking a local tech (local to LA there are TONS of great techs) about this project, but I am not sure what my budget is at this point. I'm getting married soon and I am buying a car this year (albeit a used, paid-off one).

I don't consider even the VHT 2150 at around $1300 to be overpriced, but I can't spend that much personally, nor do I want an elaborate stereo rig. I love the Mesa 2:90 of olde, but it's big and heavy and uses a lot of tubes. I wouldn't buy any new Mesa product, but perhaps a 1990s 2:90 if I wanted that beast for my rig... and btw, I can't find a Dual Mono Bloc EL34 50/50 Marshall for sale new, nor do I know if I like them.

I was looking for something to hold me over until I have more cash to spend, and I will probably grab a Carvin TS100, but...

the custom job sounds intriguing!

Thanks for the input, everyone. I had not known about the Carvin. Supposedly it's got a pretty flat freq response, which I think would be nice for a variety of MTS modules. Only thing is maybe I can run some KT88s in it... if the power transformer can handle it............. >:)

Completely understood and valid points that I agree with. I meant no offense, nor was any taken.

Obviously economics are a HUGE driving factor in many of these choices and there has to be products available for every budget. I have lots of interesting conversations with industry folks about consumer behaviors and perception of value. It's fascinating to me how much that has shifted through the years. Of course I was a Business major in college with a focus in Entrepreneurship, so that's probably a given! :lol:

I fully agree that there are fantastic options at the sub-$1K mark. I own and constantly recommend the RT 2/50 as one of the best power amps around. The balance of options, performance and features are excellent.

I have been tossing around several ideas regarding new product design and trying to figure where to best focus my efforts. It's a slippery slope to try to predict consumer wants and needs.

I went thru a similar thought process after I bought my M4 last year. After spending a boat load of money on MTS gear, I really didn't want to spend all that much on a power amp. The TS100 looked like the most affordable solution to me also. Mesa 50/50 usually sold for around $550-650. The 20/20 usually went around $800 (ebay)...
However, I have since redirected my interests into a modest recording rig and getting the Torpedo C.A.B. for the M4. For me, a bedroom rocker, it makes the most sense. All the guys here seem to be very happy with it and I can always hook the M4 back up to the effects loop of my RM50 when needed. Just another option...

lintycreep said:
I went thru a similar thought process after I bought my M4 last year. After spending a boat load of money on MTS gear, I really didn't want to spend all that much on a power amp. The TS100 looked like the most affordable solution to me also. Mesa 50/50 usually sold for around $550-650. The 20/20 usually went around $800 (ebay)...
However, I have since redirected my interests into a modest recording rig and getting the Torpedo C.A.B. for the M4. For me, a bedroom rocker, it makes the most sense. All the guys here seem to be very happy with it and I can always hook the M4 back up to the effects loop of my RM50 when needed. Just another option...

That's one thing I was wondering about because I have a great power section in my Rev F Dual Recto... I need to call Mesa and ask them (or if anyone here knows for sure) if I can run the RM4 into the loop without anything running into the input of the amp.

And, I already have a sweet recording setup.

That Torpedo CAB looks very cool... In fact, I am really pumped that you mentioned that!!! That is one of the things I was looking for/wondering about if they existed.

Rhombus said:
...and btw, I can't find a Dual Mono Bloc EL34 50/50 Marshall for sale new, nor do I know if I like them.

Marshall 9200 Dual MonoBloc $500
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/msg/4298472051.html

I have no experience with this, but the price seems ridiculously low and is local (LA area). Also, there is a Randall RT2-50 that keeps popping up on Craigslist. The last price I saw (1/2/14) was $400 for it. It's not there currently, but keep an eye out.

Maybe I can help with a little time perspective. In 1964, a Fender Super Reverb Blackface amp cost $300.00 new. In 2014 dollars, that would be at least $3000.00 just to break even. So, 1 to 2 thousand for an amp, in today's dollars is like 1 to 2 hundred in 1964. Don't get me wrong, a thousand dollars is a good amount of money today but in reality, $1000 is the new $100.

Rhombus said:
lintycreep said:

That's one thing I was wondering about because I have a great power section in my Rev F Dual Recto... I need to call Mesa and ask them (or if anyone here knows for sure) if I can run the RM4 into the loop without anything running into the input of the amp.

And, I already have a sweet recording setup.

That Torpedo CAB looks very cool... In fact, I am really pumped that you mentioned that!!! That is one of the things I was looking for/wondering about if they existed.

You can run a RM4/M4 into the loop return of the Dual recto without anything running into the input of the amp. It will be fine, I do this with my M4 and Diezel Herbert - lots of fun.

Obviously you need either a load on the amp or a cab plugged in as always :)

I have a Marshall Dual monobloc 50/50 which was always good , although I too ended up using a lower powered mono custom built single ended class A poweramp.
For home and studio use it is freaking awesome and runs a single EL34 in class A mode.

I also tried having a couple of Vox Lil Nightrains modded to use as power amps in a wet/dry/wet rig using the 10w power amp for the dry and the Vox's for the left and right Wet signal

you can see them here

1001022_547541261959629_2109586066_n.jpg

We had all the sockets on the front on this one as it needs to sit back to back with my rack in my workshop - seen here when my M4 was out of the rack for some reason

There's not a lot inside it to be honest - but it sounds wicked

..and when I retire in a little over a year, I'll build a few of my own.
One will be a Deluxe power section and another will be an AC15.

Oh wow!!! I would love one of those power amps in a rack enclosure. It looks like a super nice build! Very cool! And I can't believe how many modules you own... good God!

Thanks for the leads on a power amp, everbody! I am really liking this forum so far. Great, intelligent ideas, and super helpfulness! Thank you all.

Corium_AZ said:
I consider $1k+ outrageous... If you feel the same I'd recommend the Randall RT2/50, an excellent power amp in general, and as versatile as the rest of the MTS stuff. I've seen them go for $450 to $800 on the used market. Another low $ option that I've heard is great for the $ is the Carvin TS100. $600 brand new, and I've seen them go for $300 used. Can run EL34's or 6L6's (or a combo I believe). Look 'em up, I think you'd like either one.

i happen to agree, not only the Carvin, the Mesa 20/20, The Peavey Classic 50 rack. there are some options for the budget minded

I gotta say the Carvin TS100 is a very good power amp for any price....It is more honest sounding to me than my previous RT2/50s and other various branded power amps...It ain't the best out there but for MTS, I find it to be a good pairing...

I got mine used for 350 ... Perfect shape and yes, it can run a mix of power tubes - mine has 6L6 and EL34 and I am happy as a clam...

withmittens said:
thats great to know you like it. is it self biased? it doesn't say on the website

You have to bias it and let me tell you - be careful....It's limited space, needs two multimeters, and is around very active electronics...It isn't hard once you do it once but not as easy as the RT2/50....