Mark Tremonti tone from Twinface, Dreadplate and Xtasy?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlundMusic

Reaction score
Hi! I'm new to this forum and I decided to join because I recently got hold of a untouched RM100 without modules. I'm going to get some modules from Salvation Mods but even though I've seen and heard some clips of these modules, none of them have shown much of what I've wanted to hear. So I hope you guys can help me out making my decision a bit easier.

So what I'm looking for is to try and get the Mark Tremonti sound (Alter Bridge, Creed, Tremonti) which I have become so personally identified with that it has become my own ideal sound as well. The modules I've been looking at is the Twinface (clean), Dreadplate or MarkUS (rhythm) and the XTASY (lead). Does anyone of you guys have any good idea of how much they sound like the real thing? How is the low end thump with these RM100's?

I play mostly PRS Singlecut guitars with Tremonti pickups in them and some Teles too and I have a 2x12 cab loaded with Celestion V30's in it.

Many thanks in advance!

:)

Here's a real clip of the MarkUs I did I'm my basement using a camcorder mic...
Its the clean side of the Markus - but I will tell you that the mean side is dead on to the original. Think metallica master of puppets / dream theatre pull me under tone... just nails them!

I also own a twin face, and that is just a great classic tone. Can't go wrong there either

I'm with Big W on the MarkUs. I think that Rob at Jaded Faith does the best XTC out of all the moders out there.

Rob is pretty good at getting a module to do an exact album/player tone too.
Tremonti is one of my favourite players as well and I've often thought about asking Rob for a mod that does both his lead and rhythm tone. He does use a wide variety of amps though so maybe it would be hard to nail in one module.

Ditto on calling Rob. Tell him the tone you are after and he will not only recommend the mod but also fine tune it to what you want if needed. I had a stock Twin and sent it off to another modder and it came back better than the stock module but still sounded more like a deluxe than a twin. Rob nailed it to the point where I have my real twin and the Twin mod in an RM50 next to each other and I can't tell the difference. He also designed a Gibson GA-50 from 1949 that is stunning. I love Anthony's work too, but it can be an issue dealing with the atlantic ocean sometimes if something goes wrong.

Thanks to all of you that have replied! I live in Sweden so I guess Salvation mods are more convenient for me but his waiting time is what bothers me.

I really appreciate all the advice I can get because theres no chance for me to try any of these modules in real life, and most of the clips on the internet don't showcase what I would like to hear. You see, I have tried most digital solutions and almost everything that has claimed to be a good substitute for having many tube amps have always left me disappointed and with a loss of money.

Here's my questions:

1. Again, what can you say about the low end thump from the RM100's? Is there a clear difference from this amp and a "regular" amp in terms of low end because of the modular concept?

2. Can you guys try to explain in a greater detail what is the most obvious sound differences between a Randall RM100 and a regular amp?

3. What are the cons? Is there any?

4. Am I naive if I seriously think or wish that this concept is as good as having the real deal amps?

5. Also, I can't see anyone has posted an opinion on the Dreadplate module. What's your thought on that one vs the MarkUS module? I think Mark Tremonti records with a pre-500 Dual Rectifier which sounds a bit different from the usual Dual Rectifier. Which of the Dreadplate and the MarkUS sounds closest to that amp you think?

Again, I really appreciate your advice! Thanks! :)

Twinface, Mark X, and XTC - add a Voxless and that's my current RM4 rig! The Jaded Faith XTC is very nice, there's something unique about that hi-gainer compared to my SG SL+, Mr Scary, Grail and Mark X. I tend to keep the Twinface and XTC in the RM4 and swap out the other two mods based on whim. Haven't compared them directly to the Xtacy and MarkUs.

image_zps048cb095.jpg

I can't speak to the RM100 as I don't own one. I use the RM4 and also an RM50.
So, are they as good as the original amp? Kind of a hard question....I have a twin and my JF twin is every bit as good as the real deal. I also have a Fender Deluxe. So the JF Base Modded Deluxe is different from my Deluxe, but I have a friend who has the same Fender Deluxe that I have and they are very different.
The cons of MTS are the addictive nature of them. I now every amp that I have ever dreamed of owning and then some. YOu can get your Tremonti tone but you can also get whatever else you want with out paying $3-6k for the whole amp.
Like you, I tried all of the digital models and they sound great but feel funny to me. These are tube heaven.

AlundMusic said:
Hi! I'm new to this forum and I decided to join because I recently got hold of a untouched RM100 without modules. I'm going to get some modules from Salvation Mods but even though I've seen and heard some clips of these modules, none of them have shown much of what I've wanted to hear. So I hope you guys can help me out making my decision a bit easier.

So what I'm looking for is to try and get the Mark Tremonti sound (Alter Bridge, Creed, Tremonti) which I have become so personally identified with that it has become my own ideal sound as well. The modules I've been looking at is the Twinface (clean), Dreadplate or MarkUS (rhythm) and the XTASY (lead). Does anyone of you guys have any good idea of how much they sound like the real thing? How is the low end thump with these RM100's?

I play mostly PRS Singlecut guitars with Tremonti pickups in them and some Teles too and I have a 2x12 cab loaded with Celestion V30's in it.

Many thanks in advance!

:)

The RM100 has loads of thump. Granted, it's going to somewhat hinge on your power tube choice, but my RM100 loaded with 6L6's, or a pair of 6L6's along with a pair of 6L6WGB's/5881's delivers more low end than my 4x12 can handle, even with master volume at only 9 o'clock (which is where I usually play it at). In my experience, it is very much dependent on the module. My Vybe Deluxe will rattle walls with the bass only at 7 o'clock - that module has insane amounts of bottom end. The JF SLOD100 also packs a huge wollop down low. However, I've had other mods like the Mark-X and R'Verb that were extremely lacking on the bottom. But, this is easily resolved by having Rob install a 3-way tight switch (aka, bass boost). My R'Verb kills now. So, basically, no you should not have any issue with bottom on an RM100 - they seem to have a very strong power amp. They do weigh 75lbs for a reason, lol.

As far as Tremonti's sound - I have a custom JF 'Blackout' which was made specifically by Rob to emulate Tremonti's Alterbridge tone. It is a very recto-ey mod. I bought it from another forum member, and it absolutely nails his rhythm and lead tones. It's an awesome mod. So, if you are looking for that, I definitely recommend you contact Rob at Jaded Faith, and see if he has retained the specs for this module. If not, I'm sure I could take a bunch of detailed pics and send them his way, and he could prolly re-create it with those. Or, I may be willing to sell it if your really interested. I'm not married to the Tremonti tone, I just wanted a good, unique recto tone, and it delivers - but I could get that from other mods.

I actually had that "Blackout" module made specifically after Mark's tone on the One Day Remains record. And I will tell you, it's unbelievable. In fact, the only reason I traded it, was because like you, I can't just up and buy every module there is, and this amp is so so so addictive when it comes to the different tones available.
There is plenty of low end and it can all be flavored to taste by swapping out whatever power tubes you wish...right on the spot! I'm currently running a pair of 6L6's and a pair of EH KT88's and my RM100 has boom for DAYS!
You will not be disappointed with this amp, of course that is my opinion. But I will say, I have an RM100 and just purchased a backup RM100 with 3 new modules. If I ever had to, I would buy another one. This is the only amp I see myself playing in the future. Any tone I want or can dream up CAN be made. Are they 100%? Sometimes they are 90%. Sometimes they are 150%!!! I promise you will find the tones you crave and it won't cost you $5000. I hope this helps a little.

With Salvation Dreadplate module and MDA board for RM100 you will be right in Mark Tremonti tone.
We are planning to do soundclip based on My Sacrifice.

Anthony

Latest posts