stock Mr. Scary...best hi gain stocker ever?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a base modded Scary from JF and it screams. Was my first modded module and I still have it. Mind you I still have a stock scary which I love as well. The stock Scary does sound better when you get the volume of the mod over 2 o clock where as the JF Scary sounds good at all volumes.

I never modded mine. It's perfect the way it as far as I'm concerned.

Lynch Mods are where it's at....I have them all stock....except the Brahma, which I sold in a fit of stupidity.

Yeah I reckon your right. When I started getting the lynch mods that's when my ears began to open up to MTS

I think it's the best stock module out there personally. Yes, a Base Mod can make it even better. I was recently talking to Drew and he said for all the modules he has owned (more than 99% of us), the Base Modded Scary I did for him years ago was still a top favorite.

Jaded Faith said:
I think it's the best stock module out there personally. Yes, a Base Mod can make it even better. I was recently talking to Drew and he said for all the modules he has owned (more than 99% of us), the Base Modded Scary I did for him years ago was still a top favorite.

Yes, yes, yes. I don't currently own a module that does the JF Base Mod Scary. That was one cool module, screamed for days. It had a fluidity and singing quality to it that I just can't find in anything else.

Yeah, I picked one up here off the forum a while ago, and I really like it.

I've never liked any stock module I've heard..
they've all ended up as donors or sold off to raise funds to support my GAS... lol
But this one is a keeper !

So, Does a base mod make it "better" ??
How much of "better" is it negligible ? or does it take it to the next level?

Johnny Wadd said:
So, Does a base mod make it "better" ??
How much of "better" is it negligible ? or does it take it to the next level?

It's been a LONG time, but I recall the JF Base Mod being far superior to the stock Scary.

EDIT: and I loved the stock Scary.

I did a YouTube comparison vid of 3 scary mods
1 stock,1 JF mod and 1 Friedman HBE scary. It was a bit long and boring but it gave you a basic comparison
It should still be on there somewhere.
People seemed to each have their favourite and not one of them was the most popular.
I liked the JF scary and stock scary and sold the Friedman scary.
I'm with Drew it does scream and it is my benchmark module I judge all others on.

Too funny, I was home all day Thursday and decided to re-configure my RM4 rack. Trying it out, my Voxless started making random noises. Rather than get side tracked trouble shooting, I pulled it out and slid in Mr Scary. Really great stocker! I was thinking with a touch more clarity and tightness, this could be the perfect MTS heavy tone. Log on here and there's a thread about it!

Best high gain stocker? I don't think so. I picked up one the other day to use as a base mod for a batch or modules I sent to JF. I thought it was pretty meh. I bout it along with a kh1, which I liked and a Nuts. On a side note, the nuts might be the second worst stock module I've ever played (The brown takes the #1 spot). I can't believe Scott Ian went on tour with such a sucky module! The Scary had more dynamics than the Nuts, but I thought it was all mids and really lacked tone. That said, I only played mine around the house for a few days and never opened the Mr. Scary up. Of all the stock mods, I liked the Grail the most.

The Mr Scary is one of coolest looking modules ever - love the skull knobs. I like it best with the guitar tuned down a whole step or dropped D. I would describe its midrange personality as RUDE! Not sure what this is supposed to be - Soldano, Modded Marshall, ect..... but a great stocker for sure!

After all this Scary talk I've had both my JF Scary and stock Scary in my rm22 all arvo and while I do prefer the JF , the stock still sounds awesome. The JF just seems a bit more versatile meaning the gain has a greater range of control over the whole turn of the gain pot. And although it has more gain than I would ever use the JF Scary doesn't seem to mud out in the 3 o clock region like the Stock Scary.

I like The Mr Scary and SL+ for that kind of tone (the two modules are very similar - apparently just a few cap changes difference.

The SL+ is a really great module for me.

I kind of like the Brahma , but want it to have a bit more of that Caswell #39 Marshall that Lynch used (and so did Slash) which to me is Lynch's tone in my head.

I have had many modules but the ones I have had from the start are the JF Brahma and JF Scary. Either one can cover from low to high gain better than anything else I have had. YMMV but they just work for me.

Yep, a stock Scary is a nice mod and sounds very good in a live mix...Is it the best? Matter of opinion but I have it next to a stock Judge and more than happy working those two together.

Getting the base mod for my Mr. Scary is the best 100-odd dollars I've ever spent in the MTS world. For some reason, I didn't like the stock module in my RM4 but liked it quite a bit in the Lynchbox. I debated for awhile about getting it modded, but when it came back -- holy cow! Raw, but perfect tonal balance! It's much more forward and intense than the stock module. And out of the 20 modules I have, it's either my favorite or in my top 3... depending on the day ;-)

nice responses guys !
Of course every module is a matter of opinion, is the scary the best stocker ? In my opinion.. the best stocker ive heard...
but keep in mind i havent heard many stockers...

but for me the scary is a winner! Whether i get a base mod or not depends on cash flow - but im quite happy with it.
I can honestly say - it wont be leaving my heard as a donor anytime soon. I just dig the groove it has.

if you like grailtone, or plexi, or hell even tweed.. its all a matter of who likes what... and what style you have... thats why MTS ROCKS !!!

The Mr Scary module is one of my favorite stock modules in fact all of the Lynch modules are Great!!!

I also own the Super V, Grail and Judge I still need a Dave Friedman corrected Brahma though.