Jaded Faith Foglifter pre and post install Clips

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nitrous12

Reaction score
Density on full, Presence off. Module is the Ultra-Lead w/boost on and gain at around 10.
Stock:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvFPTYFDO7E

Foglifter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-Fd9LFf1I8

Can the difference be heard from a crummy phone clip posted on YouTube? Discuss...

You played with your amp upside down, all the tone leaks to the top of the tubes like that! ;-)

Nice to hear Pearl Jam.

Tough to hear the difference, I say the stock is darker...'quieter' because ears are non-linear :)

I just noticed you said the Density was on full (??)...I always thought that sounded horrible...too boomy but that does;t come across on the clip.

well, yes you can hear the difference, but since it's a cell phone / pootube clip, all that high-end content sounds full of artifacts and is somewhat intermittent. I have a nice listening setup and I can kinda hear stuff come in and out. Doesn't sound as warm, but there's some clarity and string separation from the foglifter.

I'd definitely say you can hear the clarity. It seems clearer and crisper. That said, I think the stock tone sounds better for the majority of the riffs you were playing. To me, it was especially obvious on the Pearl Jam section. The stock had more sustain and was more fluid. It had a certain smoothness to it. Honestly, that's why I'd love to have the ability to go stock or modded at a flick of a switch. Thanks for doing the comparison!

To mod or not to mod... that is the question!

It is my understanding that the primary purpose of the foglifter is to improve (significantly) the presence (and it does). So, if youve got the presence off, I wouldn't imagine you'd hear much difference. I've not heard many complain about the functionality of the density portion, except for it muddying things up. I for one literally would have sold my rm100 the day I got it if it weren't for the foglifter mod, it was that bad. Prior to it's being installed, my rm100 sounded lifeless and dull, like a blanket was over it. The foglifter took that away immediately. I can still get it to sound like it's got a blanket over it, by turning the presence off and pegging the density, lol...

Other, very noticeable improvements were had by jumpering the parallel FX loop and throwing a nice, vintage 5751 in the PI.

Great feedback!
I can do some clips with the presence brought in. I still have the chassis out and switching them is a breeze.
I do find the Foglifter presence to be nicer in that it doesn't get harsh like the stock does, but I find these amps get bright fast past a certain point of volume and then having presence on is toouch for me. I will try turning pres up and treble down on the module.
I did notice a difference in the density as well. It was a trade of a little bit of thickness and smear for the clarity. Still has plenty of punch.
Also I am running a quad of EL34. May be a different game with 6L6 or the like.

Quick design note that makes this comparison a bit ineffective. There are 3 main components to the Foglifter. The NFB is tuned and different from stock. I'd like to have made that adjustable, but it wasn't a simple drop-in solution without adding a hole/knob. The Density is tuned to be tighter and not as low and boomy. More focused. This is evident in the example. The biggest change is the Presence circuit. By running this completely turned off you are negating the biggest change this upgrade makes. These knobs also work in tandem.

Hope that clears up a few things.

I definitely liked the foglifted more. It was missing the clarity, but with presence on 0, that explains that. Even so the foglifted still sounded clearer & I think would cut through a band/mix better.

Well, if for nothing else I am really glad I posted this and received the comments about running the Presence at zero. Had a good session of jamming today and saw for myself how off I was in the misconception that the Presence just made things too bright. Going to start a separate thread with some new comparisons and with some presence adjustments in the clips.
I have been jumping the parallel loop in my MOD50 and now this RM100 since pretty much the start. On the RM at least, I also found running the Effects wide open is too harsh. It seems to be best served around noon.