59RR Questions

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chas_w

Reaction score
Rob,

What is the difference between the 59RR and 59RR Platinum? The obvious difference is diode clip switch.

I have a 59RR Platinum right now. Great module but not sure it puts me the Marshall space I think I want to be in.

How different is the Silverado and is there much crossover between it and the 59RRP?

This is another in a series of questions that I ask which I will eventually answer myself since at some point I will have a Silverado.

Thanks.
-Charlie

It seems like the original 59RR didn't have the 2/3 stage switch or the diode clipping. Only the Platinum had these. Then the original became the "custom" which added the 2/3 stage switch. Still leaving the Platinum the only one with diode clipping.
The Silverado is VERY different. It doesn't have quite as much gain and is a whole different flavor. It's representing the Silver Jubilee, which is very different from the JMP and JCM series.
The Brahma #39 and Grail Tone are more high gain Marshall tones.
I hope that helps.

Correct me if I'm wrong...

The original 1959RR had diode clipping. The platinum had Diode clipping and an additional gain stage. The 1959rr Custom has just the additional gain stage, correct?

The Silverado is based on a marshall silver jubilee. Slash and joe bonamossa are known users. Its a great amp, but isn't the typical marshall sound.

When I had my 1959RR, I thought it was great for classic rock, but didn't do the high gain as I would have liked. As far as the marshall tones in the Jaded faith line, here's what I'd recommend.

Quick Mod, based on the Splawn Quick Rod. I thought it sounded more on the vintage side with a cool kick and it has highs that are just short of harsh. I think its great for punk rock/ surf rock. I best liked it on gear 2, OD1. I threw an OD in front of mine to fatten it up.

If you want a fat marshall, I'd check out the Stein. Kranks are great amps that are hard to dial in. They can be fat, powerful and cutting at the same time. They're not for everyone though.

For me, I like the Grail Tone the best. I think it fits somewhere between Thin Lizzy, Whitesnake and Van halen. When I think "Plexi", this module gets me the closest.

Give the SG MK22 a try if you can find one. I have it and the SG Bully loaded in one of my heads and haven't taken them out in over a year. It's all the 70's/80's Marshall that I need.

JD said:
Give the SG MK22 a try if you can find one. I have it and the SG Bully loaded in one of my heads and haven't taken them out in over a year. It's all the 70's/80's Marshall that I need.

While fun, as the bully was a gain machine, I think the grail tone sounds more authentic. But hey, that's me.

The Rossness said:
Correct me if I'm wrong...

The original 1959RR had diode clipping. The platinum had Diode clipping and an additional gain stage. The 1959rr Custom has just the additional gain stage, correct?

I believe that is correct. The original, you could select JMP or JCM mode, and then flick on the diode clipping. That would effectively take the JCM from 800 to 900 mode

The Rossness said:
JD said:

While fun, as the bully was a gain machine, I think the grail tone sounds more authentic. But hey, that's me.

authentic to what?

JD said:
The Rossness said:
JD said:

authentic to what?

a rip-roaring marshall 1959 SuperLead

The Rossness said:
JD said:
The Rossness said:
JD said:

authentic to what?

I was told that the Bully was based off of EVH's 1968 Super Lead, which had a JTM45 tone stack and a tube rectifier. Is that wrong?

Either way, I haven't tried a Grail tone but I can assure you that Bully can pull off the VH II stuff very well....and there is gain to go beyond that.

Most people don't realize the amount of tone that comes out of your fingers. I live in a great community where there are a lot of musicians getting together to jam. I've had, at the very least, 20 different well seasoned guitarists play through my amps. Everyone of them can make my Marshall mods sound different.

Lot's of questions here!

The original 59RR featured the JMP/JCM switch, a simple Diode Clip circuit (adds about 5% more gain, but changes the shape/feel of the gain), the Vintage/Modern tone stack switch and the original Haze circuit. This is still made as a 5RR Standard upon request.

The 59RR Custom was made as a special request and replaced the Diode Clip with a 2/3-Stage switch that allowed an additional gain stage to be added. This was way cool and became a standard product, replacing the original 59RR.

All of this was thrown together into one with premium hand-selected components and offered as the limited 59RR Platinum.

The Grail Tone is unique in that it runs two uniquely-voiced stages in parallel to each other and blends them at the third stage. It allows for a huge range of gain colors to be dialed in.

The Silverado is completely it's own thing ad not like any of the rest. It uses a floating 2nd tier, a very unique pair of diode clipping circuits and a loads of ways to mix and match them. Very unique tone and feel.

I recently had two different SG MK22's in here for repairs and I can confirm this mod has a lot in common to the stock Judge under the hood. This reference might be useful for those who are curious and having a hard time locating one.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for all the input.

My first module was a Grailtone. I didn't bond with it too well at all and sold it. I may have dismissed it too early though.

I like the 59RRP a lot and will continue to work with for now until I can get a few other mods to go head to head with it and then decide what I use in the Marshall area.

I have the Recto tones covered well with the JF Erect.

-Charlie

Jaded Faith said:
I recently had two different SG MK22's in here for repairs and I can confirm this mod has a lot in common to the stock Judge under the hood. This reference might be useful for those who are curious and having a hard time locating one.

You just blew my mind. I really liked both my MK22 mods, but hated The Judge.

chas_w said:
Thanks for all the input.

My first module was a Grailtone. I didn't bond with it too well at all and sold it. I may have dismissed it too early though.

I like the 59RRP a lot and will continue to work with for now until I can get a few other mods to go head to head with it and then decide what I use in the Marshall area.

I have the Recto tones covered well with the JF Erect.

-Charlie
Food for thought, but the Brahma #39 may be something to consider as well.

drewiv said:
Jaded Faith said:

Not identical, but there is a lot of the same DNA there. The Judge has the extra switches, and that can factor in. More variables can help, but can often harm a good tone. Sometimes simpler is just better.

The MK22 was a solid module for sure and the Judge is a fair substitute that might be easier to find if someone is having a hard time locating one.

The Rossness said:

I could not disagree more with your statement.

I'm absolutely stunned that you can say that with a straight face.

drewiv said:
Jaded Faith said:

The MK22 was built to exactly replicate a 1978 two input 2203/2204 Marshall JMP. Most of Friedman's work is to the modification to 1959's and 2203's, so it's not surprising that both modules share many of the same components.

That said, I'm with you. The Judge, Brown Eye and Hairy Brown Eye sound like modified Marshall's, not "stock" Marshall's and I didn't care for them.

While they are certainly cool in their own right, they do not sound like a well maintained JMP from the late 70's, which was the intention of the MK22.

Just for the record, here are a couple of new tracks with the Bully and a couple of old tracks. If these don't sound like "ripping" 1959 Marshall's, I'd like someone to explain what they do sound like.

www.mikeplas.com/mlib/mr/inthezone.mp3

www.mikeplas.com/mlib/mr/roughandtumble.mp3

www.mikeplas.com/mlib/am/boogiechild.mp3

www.mikeplas.com/mlib/am/voltage.mp3

Mike P said:
The Rossness said:

I could not disagree more with your statement.

I'm absolutely stunned that you can say that with a straight face.

Absolutely. I don't even have to use an attenuator with it.

Attenuator???? Why in the world would you need an attenuator for a master volume amp?

And your "more authentic" quote is complete and utter nonsense.

I would like to see the return of the MK22. Any other suggestions for a close substitute for this mod.