Favorite Speaker for MTS?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Extrageration

Reaction score
This question may have been asked a million times....but....
I'm looking for a new cab.. prolly a 2x12, but I might be convinced otherwise.

I lean a little more towards the mid-gain tones but still like to get heavy now and again..

What's everyone using? Favorite cab or speaker?

I have 2-2x12 cabs and I really like a mixture of V30's in ! cab and GT12-75's.The GT's give a thicker tone while the V30's give the clarity,IMHO

I enjoy my Lynch Super V Eminence speakers. Vintage flavor with high watt handling power. Low end is just tight enough.

My Zinky 4x12 is easily the best sounding cab I've heard. I've tried my RM100 thru a Mrshall 1960 w/Greenbacks, a Marshall 1960 withG1275's, a Mesa recto cab w/V30's, and a Mesa Roadster 2X12 w/V30's. My Zinky can handle massive amounts of bass (I've played bass through it with not a hint of speaker strain or mud), stays super tight, and just sings in the mids and highs. It's prolly the smallest 4x12 I've seen, but it's stupid heavy (100lb). Bruce Zinky told me that the way it's braced/baffled it operates more like 2 2x12's stacked. So, I'd say maybe a 2x12 would sound just as good. These are loaded with Eminence speakers that are custom made for Zinky. He said they do not really compare to any specific popular speaker, and I agree that they are unique. So, look around your area, cuz these can be found for very little $ since most folks have no idea what it is. Got mine for only ~$300 used from my local GC. Smoking deal for what is a $1000 boutique cab!

For Marshall type tones I prefer V30s?.

For Mesa type tones I prefer G12H-100s?.

For cleans, I like both?.

There's none that I have personally played that sounded bad, just different?Which is a major plus as far as I'm concerned.

So many answers to this, I have some v30 that are great for mid to high gain. But I like to mix them with something. Buy used speakers and try them, sell what you don't need.

I put G12h30 and v30 in x pattern in my Randall
RS4x12 MTS straight cab...killer!

I always find myself gravitating to my WGS Vet 30/HM75 Voodoo Amps cabs. They seem to handle the versatility of MTS the best, IMO.

I would contact the guys at WGS and let them know your desired tones. They will point you in the right direction when it comes to choosing speakers. After multiple conversations with some of their techs; I went with the WGS Reaper 30's. Simply awesome speakers and dirt cheap compared to the big name brands.

I really dig my Avatar traditional 2x12. I got the optional removable back slot so it can go closed back or semi open.
I ended up going with the Eminence Governor and Swamp Thang and feel they make a great mix. The Governor is in the V30 type camp so it provides the clarity and mid cut, while the Swamp Thang is big and deep with a real nice warmth.
Some great recommendations here and certainly no one right answer.

I too need to check out the WGS stuff more as I picked up a Jet City 1x12 to leave at my church. Its got some custom cheap Emenince and overall its not terrible, but I am pretty sure a better speaker could kick it up a few notches.

I could write you a book here, so it's probably best served for a phone conversation. :lol:

The right answer is "there is no right answer." There are so many variables specific to each player that there is no perfect solution. It' best to gather your fact, figure out your needs/preferences and speak to someone with a broad background on them.

FWIW, I just posted a great clip on my Facebook page (link in my sig) yesterday from Celestion. It's a great primer with good info to get you thinking about a few often overlooked variables. There is way more to the right speaker than the brand and the model.

I've tried nearly every guitar speaker offered, from Scumback to Jensen to various Celestions, Hellatone and Eminence speakers. For me, nothing has even come close to what I need to hear than the Celestion Classic Lead 80.

It's a very "balanced" speaker that isn't as dark as a real Greenback or Scumback but doesn't have the "icepick" thing going on like V30's (V30's from the 80's sound great and significantly different than anything post 2000). It's got a pleasant "scooped" mid that's missing from the Private Jack and Super V.

Since it's rated at 80 watts RMS, it has plenty of headroom for high gain players but also sounds great with Fenders, AC30's and Plexi's. I highly recommend it.

I didn't go into deatail on my post but I am running a 2 x 12 cab with wgs speakers as well. 1 vet 30 and 1 classic lead. Their version of the lead 80. Great combo together as they fill in were the other lacks. Supposedly the vet 30 does not have the Celestions mid spike.

I have a total of three Marshall diagonal 2x12s with replaced backboards. They're basically identical although two are called 1966 and one is a Silver Jubilee 2556.

They're loaded with three different varieties of Fane speakers:
Medusa 150C for dirty lead
Medusa 150S for dirty rhythm
Elite 12-100 for cleans (semi open back)

It's something about these speakers that sound deep and authorative, and they respond well to dirt in that they're defined yet sweet on the highs. I would even say this about the alu domed Elites although they obviously can go quite fizzy with heavy gain.

The Medusas are of the current guitar line and eventhough the cost a bit I think they'e well worth it. The Elites were some odd-ball NOS that came for cheap, ?30 or so a pop I believe.

Eganter Tourmaster 2x12 with the Celestion Elite 80s that came with it. They don't color the sound and sound great with all my mods. The open back is great for playing smaller clubs too. You can find them on Ebay for a pretty decent price too!

guitarzan said:
Eganter Tourmaster 2x12 with the Celestion Elite 80s that came with it. They don't color the sound and sound great with all my mods. The open back is great for playing smaller clubs too. You can find them on Ebay for a pretty decent price too!

I feel the same way about my Randall XL cab- 400w with the G12h-100's...No coloration at all..Some extra options with direct mic'ing and a 3 way switch for dark/bright settings. I used to use Mesa Recto cabs w/V30's and loved those until I tried these Randall XL's. It wasnt until then that I realized how much the V30's colored the amp/modules.

But wouldn't that depend on what is considered neutral too? I'm pretty sure that anything that came after the G12-65 and G12-80 from Celestion, with exception of the V30 and other more vintagey/ predating the G12M20 speakers, are pretty smooth and neutral over all.

But on the other hand they do add quite a bit of their own overtone content (so not that uncoloured in that sense) enough so to mask the presence of a midpeak (which make them seem even smoother). That's what I liked about my old G12-80s that I still decided to sell for being too meek and difuse for what I needed.

Those Fanes of mine are plotted even smoother than any Celestion, but the definition of them and control of the cone particularly in the mids can make them seem a bit strident under certain circumstances, should the module or pre-amp valves flaunt a mid peak that doesn't sit very well with our hearing. So speakers is a funny old game.