So, I know its been asked before but....

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rblyn

Reaction score
What is going to happen with MTS? Everyone knows the story- Randall bailed, Egnater seems to have backed off (havent heard about a new MTS line or the E2 in forever) There is also a dwindling market for stockers but it appears not to the point where JF or Salvo have been affected? The used market is about 25% of what it was a couple of years ago, when I could find anything I wanted stock and modded modules were listed here in droves....Has anyone heard anything at all? I havent been on the boards as much lately- wondering if theres any new info or will the modular concept fade away?

Looking at it from strictly a business & engineering standpoint, two things would have to happen to spark a revival.

1) $300 empty RM's will have to be exhausted. There is no plausible way to design, build and sell new MTS platforms for nearly the used price of an empty RM. This is important because if someone is going to risk the investment into a new, or even just revamped platform, they run a very high risk of losing everything. Let's say they actually do a great job marketing (read, $$$), and gin up a ton of new interest in the concept/product. They then run the risk of those new converts discovering that they can get in the game for MUCH less than what the new product costs.

This can best be avoided by designing the new product so that it cannot use existing modules, rendering the old obsolete. Sucks for us to an extent, but that would still bring a flood of new users to the old stuff.

2) Related to 1. The concept would have to be new and different enough to differentiate from the original mts line. For example, all modules being at least dual channel (and foot switchable), or better, all module and head/amp settings midi programmable (like the H&K Switchblade, Coreblade, the new Fortin-Based Randall, etc). This makes each module MUCH more versatile. Could make power tube selection midi switchable as well (like the RT2/50). Either way, it would need to be a discernible, tangible improvement over the current line.

Marketing would be top priority, and care taken not to pigeonhole the line (aka Randall, typically seen as sub par, solid state, metal only amps). Market to blues, jazz, country, etc genre players. Make it as neutral as possible.

And, why not Bugera-ize things - make entry level stuff at a very low price point. Just to give the kids a start. While also providing better quality gear at progressively higher price points.

I think the above are the only hope... And, always the chance the digital stuff will eventually just dominate once they truly get 'that good'. We shall see...

Yep, agree with pretty much everything you said....and that's what I was afraid of....Hopefully, someone figures it out.

There was a post over at the Egnater forum at rigtalk where the OP said he had talked to Bruce during winter NAMM. Bruce had told him that Egnater is going to pick up on the modular stuff with release of the E2 and some new modules.

Here's a link to the thread.

http://www.rig-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=150360

mr.air said:
There was a post over at the Egnater forum at rigtalk where the OP said he had talked to Bruce during winter NAMM. Bruce had told him that Egnater is going to pick up on the modular stuff with release of the E2 and some new modules.

Here's a link to the thread.

http://www.rig-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=150360

Wow, best news Ive heard in a while- although I will say we have heard about the E2 for years...The part about Soldano and other botique amp makers is news to me but would really help MTS in my opinion.