What's your secret in MTS?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattfig

Reaction score
I know we have debated mods, tubes, cables, speakers, caps, jumpers, etc. here but what we often skip is what else we use to make it gel?.

For me, my GCX/GCP runs a lot of stuff:

I have several boosts
- Stigtronics Tone Vitamin
- Modified TS-808 (switchable chips and upgrades)
- Wylde OD
- Bad Monkey (C5 mod)

I also run simple FX outta my Lexicon MX200s as I only use a touch of delay and reverb?

I ALWAYS use ISP G-Series Rack units?.

I use (sparingly) an Aphex rack enhancer to add color (not recording but for live)

What do you guys use?

For me it's the combo of these three......the EGO and the Paisley with singles, and the 808 with humbuckers. Sometimes 2 or 3 stacked up....delays and verbs come and go.....but these 3 have been out front forever. The only other "secret" is the JAN 5751 and experimenting with tubes in the mods, it's amazing what a difference that can make.

0aacbb43e55c1959e02ce5582312b2f3_zpsfc388f66.jpg

I use a Vox ToneLab LE out front for all fx, od, wah, and midi channel switching. I've A B'd it with the actual pedals/fx it's supposed to model (my lead guitarist has a mountain of pedals), and the Tonelab is spot on in its emulation of the stomp boxes. To be honest, it's OD's sound/work better than the pedal versions (TS 9/808, Boss Super OD, Klon Centaur). Actually, it's all you need...

Oh, and my JAN Philips small bottle 6L6 WGB's (I run 2 along with two Mesa branded 6L6's) and JAN 5751 in the PI.

I LOVE this setup! Only wish I have is that I could get a tone lab in a rack mount so I could install in my RM100 like others have done with other fx units.

Super simple... makes all the difference in the world. MXR 10 band EQ thru fx loop.

JKD said:
Keeley Mod'd SD-1 that is always on :)
Mines not always on, but I use that too!
iSP G series rack as well.
2 big ones in the last year were changing to all Mogami cable and my Avatar 2x12 cab with Celestion Creambacks!
I've done a TON of pickup research over the last 7 years as well, so I'm really happy with what I've been using. I have some Motor City Blackbelt humbuckers coming next week that I'm very excited about.
Switching from my stereo RM50 combos to a single RM4 and RT250 with the Avatar is also MUCH more satisfying.
My current selection of moduals feels very complete. So happy on that front.

My fingers, a collection of six guitars with zero redundancy and a variety of speakers. Those three things do more to change the rig up than anything else I could add/subtract.

Other than the often mentioned 5751 in the PI, I would say just a few different flavors of boosts. The Koko covers almost all of that ground but I also keep a few others.

A RP1000 is used for some switching options, slight noise reduction, and just a touch of delay and verb when it's called for.

My Liquid Foot JR + compliments my system nicely the way I have the banks and switches configured.

I have some banks that use the four preset switches to just change channels (S1=Bman A, S2=Bman B, S3= QuickMod A, S4=QuickMod B). But each switch also allows you to program multiple steps. So, when I click S1 once it?s the Bman clean with compresser. If I click it a second time, it turns on a chorus. Click it a third time and it?s dotted 8th delay. 4th click its slapback delay with a Timmy. I have each switch configured with multiple step commands to compliment the module assigned to that switch. That plus the four instant access switches allows many options in a very small footprint.

I also have a bank dedicated to each module (S1 = Bman, S2=59RR, S3=Erect, S4 = QuickMod). In this bank I have two clicks configured on each switch; first click is channel A, second click is channel B. This is great for the dual modules and still leaves the instant access switches open for effects. I use this mode when I want to toggle between all my modules in one performance.

You can also set up multiple page views like Song mode, Set mode, etc. I don?t really use Song or Set mode as regular banks suite my needs for managing preset changes. I do have a page configuration for all the effects so I can view everything in my switcher and everything that is controlled via midi.

The desktop editor makes it supper easy to program. I consider this one of the best investments I have ever made in my rig.

Corium_AZ said:
I use a Vox ToneLab LE out front for all fx, od, wah, and midi channel switching. I've A B'd it with the actual pedals/fx it's supposed to model (my lead guitarist has a mountain of pedals), and the Tonelab is spot on in its emulation of the stomp boxes. To be honest, it's OD's sound/work better than the pedal versions (TS 9/808, Boss Super OD, Klon Centaur). Actually, it's all you need...

Oh, and my JAN Philips small bottle 6L6 WGB's (I run 2 along with two Mesa branded 6L6's) and JAN 5751 in the PI.

I LOVE this setup! Only wish I have is that I could get a tone lab in a rack mount so I could install in my RM100 like others have done with other fx units.

Similar set up to your Tonelab except I use a Boss GT10...Ive got many posts on how I set it up (took me forever to figure it out) but its a one stop shop for boosts/delays/noise reduction/chorus etc... and I use the Fender style preamp from the Boss GT10 out front of the power amp to give me a 4th channel (clean) on my RM100's.

I'll second Rob on the guitars and speakers. I have mods that just suck with certain guitars and I was ready to throw them out. I would then use another guitar with them and they are incredible. For me, modern guitars with high gain pick ups sound awful with classic amp mods like Tweeds, AC30s, Deluxes, etc. Use a classic guitar with them and they are spot on. same with the more modern high gain amps. My XMG sound weird with my old Tele or Strat, but sings with my JEM.

I've never been big into boosts. Keep the signal Path as simple as possible. I've always enjoyed what the amp can give me. I use delays through the parallel loop but only ones that don't colour my sound.

Nice module, no extra's and often run straight from the FX loop because it makes the sound more prickly.