Salvation Salvado vs. JF SL-OD100

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msm222

Reaction score
I have been in and out of the MTS world for over a decade but have never had two of the "same" or "similar" mods from different modders. I love both interpretations of the Soldano sound from Salvation and JF. My impression is that the Salvado is a little more open in crunch mode than the JF - which sounds thicker to my ears.

Any thoughts?

here's a link to a discussion about this very thing. A warning about the thread though, it's full of things folks probably wish they hadn't said, so perhaps a grain of salt read is appropriate.

that said, some of the comments get into why one prefers SM over JF. Seems like a matter of taste to me. That's my take away.

http://mtsforum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=19426

I really liked my SL-OD100 but the Salvado Deluxe is one of the best mods ever. (Still liked my Masholdano even better than that) I heard more clarity from the SM version and more "usable" gain. Much like the real amps, both mods really start to mushy up with the highest gain settings (due to their open/uncompressed design) I really liked the tight switch on the Salvado to alleviate this... At the time I had Rob's version, I loved to boost it, and asked him if he had a "boost" toggle..At that time, he did not- (I believe he does now) Regardless, everytime you try to say something like this you get into some long, ugly discussions. Not saying anything other than this was my personal preference in regards to this particular mod. (to show Im not biased, I preferred the JF Erect over the SM Deadplate by a good margin)

They are both very nice. I have a Salvado Deluxe that I have had from the beginning that is the one mod I haven't flipped....I also had an SL-OD100 and it was not bad but was not my thing.....I like that the Salvado can do a good Tweed and really adds harmonics with the bite switch...

Mattfig said:
They are both very nice. I have a Salvado Deluxe that I have had from the beginning that is the one mod I haven't flipped....I also had an SL-OD100 and it was not bad but was not my thing.....I like that the Salvado can do a good Tweed and really adds harmonics with the bite switch...

That's saying something- a mod that Matt hasnt flipped? :D Honestly, Im just as bad if not worse- I could list 10-15 mods that I've traded or sold and could kick myself for doing so (Salvado and SL-OD100 on that list!)

rblyn said:
That's saying something- a mod that Matt hasnt flipped? :D Honestly, Im just as bad if not worse- I could list 10-15 mods that I've traded or sold and could kick myself for doing so (Salvado and SL-OD100 on that list!)

I've flipped and re-obtained many...But the Salvado Deluxe is the only one that has never left...

It is the module by which I compare all others...There are many great choices out there...Try as many as you can is my advice....

The are many different tones that a SLO will do, but when I think SLO, I think George Lynch and Warren DeMartini. I could care less about what other tones it can do I don't care about warren haynes or SRV or any other famous player who has used one. The Salvado couldn't pull off the Lynch DeMartini tones. The lead tone was ok. it did a nice Guthrie Govan lead. To my ears and much to mattfig's dismay, I think the salvado shouldn't even be associated with an slo sound. Maybe it should be called the "smooth lead" but to associate it with a Soldano SLO is a stretch, IMO.

The JF version is much more accurate to what a SLO sounds like. It has amazing lead tones and is thicker while having a little more of a bite to it. It also has more useable gain and the the EQ responds more like a real SLO. The lower gain side of the module is based on a soldano hotrod and sounds great as well.

keep in mind that while both moders were trying to achieve the SLO sound, it was based off 2 amps that weren't slo's. From what I can recall, Salvation used a SL-60 and JF used a Hotrod.

Well then really, neither are going to be close if they were based on different amps? I think MikeP has had experience with real SLO's and both modules and might chyme in here. (You can also just go to the douchey douchebag thread and read what he had to say there already)

I always thought a Soldano sound was bright and shrill, in comparison to most Marchall type sounds. sharper and quicker but thinner, less heft

withmittens said:
I always thought a Soldano sound was bright and shrill, in comparison to most Marchall type sounds. sharper and quicker but thinner, less heft

The Soldano's EQ works in tandem with the presence from my experience with it. You need to adjust all knobs accordingly to get the right tone.

The Rossness said:
The are many different tones that a SLO will do, but when I think SLO, I think George Lynch and Warren DeMartini. I could care less about what other tones it can do I don't care about warren haynes or SRV or any other famous player who has used one. The Salvado couldn't pull off the Lynch DeMartini tones. The lead tone was ok. it did a nice Guthrie Govan lead. To my ears and much to mattfig's dismay, I think the salvado shouldn't even be associated with an slo sound. Maybe it should be called the "smooth lead" but to associate it with a Soldano SLO is a stretch, IMO.

The JF version is much more accurate to what a SLO sounds like. It has amazing lead tones and is thicker while having a little more of a bite to it. It also has more useable gain and the the EQ responds more like a real SLO. The lower gain side of the module is based on a soldano hotrod and sounds great as well.

keep in mind that while both moders were trying to achieve the SLO sound, it was based off 2 amps that weren't slo's. From what I can recall, Salvation used a SL-60 and JF used a Hotrod.

No dismay, you don't dig it...I dig mine...I will say that the JF version was not bad, just not my cup of tea...

withmittens said:

The SLO tone can be bright. Maybe that is why they load they cabs up with V1216's. I just acquired some again after a few years without and had to up the presence and treble a good bit to compensate for their darker tone.

The Rossness said:
The are many different tones that a SLO will do, but when I think SLO, I think George Lynch and Warren DeMartini.

The Salvado couldn't pull off the Lynch DeMartini tones.

Are you using an exact replica of their guitars, down to the string gauge? If not, you're not going to be in the ballpark, period.

In the case of DeMartini, I'm talking ash body with maple neck/fingerboard, Schaller tuners, Duncan JB/Jazz, original, German-made Floyd and even the 6100 frets. In George's case, maple body, maple neck, ebony fingerboard, custom-wound PAF, original Floyd, etc.

It's not going to sound the same if you're using an Ibanez or basswood body, fake Floyd Rose, DiMarzio's or anything else, especially a Les Paul.

withmittens said:

My experience with Soldano amps has been the exact opposite: They're darker, chewier and much slower than a Marshall.

The best Soldano I've ever played through was a Bogner modified Soldano back in like 1991. :D

I thought the basic Soldano SLO distortion circuit was very similar across his designs?

Is that not the case?

Mike P said:
The Rossness said:
The are many different tones that a SLO will do, but when I think SLO, I think George Lynch and Warren DeMartini.

The Salvado couldn't pull off the Lynch DeMartini tones.

Are you using an exact replica of their guitars, down to the string gauge? If not, you're not going to be in the ballpark, period.

In the case of DeMartini, I'm talking ash body with maple neck/fingerboard, Schaller tuners, Duncan JB/Jazz, original, German-made Floyd and even the 6100 frets. In George's case, maple body, maple neck, ebony fingerboard, custom-wound PAF, original Floyd, etc.

It's not going to sound the same if you're using an Ibanez or basswood body, fake Floyd Rose, DiMarzio's or anything else, especially a Les Paul.

Don't forget that Out Of The Cellar was recorded at Sound City in Southern California which has very mild humidity and is near sea level in altitude where audio travels at approximately 1130 feet per second. If you live in an area at a higher altitude or with much higher humidity levels, these tones are simply out of reach to you. You'd have to recalculate the speed of sound for your altitude and adjust the microphone distance to the speaker to account for the phase difference. You'd also need to put your speaker cabinet in a hermetically sealed chamber with a dehumidifier for at least 24 hours before your speaker cones are dry enough to reproduce this kind of tone. :roll:

One thing I wanted to mention is that although folks love ordering off a menu, all mods are hand-built. If you want more of this or less of that, just ask! Most requests can be accommodated and that's the beauty of a custom shop.

audiomidijace said:
Don't forget that Out Of The Cellar was recorded at Sound City in Southern California which has very mild humidity and is near sea level in altitude where audio travels at approximately 1130 feet per second. If you live in an area at a higher altitude or with much higher humidity levels, these tones are simply out of reach to you. You'd have to recalculate the speed of sound for your altitude and adjust the microphone distance to the speaker to account for the phase difference. You'd also need to put your speaker cabinet in a hermetically sealed chamber with a dehumidifier for at least 24 hours before your speaker cones are dry enough to reproduce this kind of tone. :roll:

LOL

The point is that if someone is trying to nail a very specific tone, it's best to use the same exact gear. Otherwise, it's an exercise in futility.

And for the record, DeMartini didn't begin using the Soldano on recordings until their 4th album.

Personally, I don't think the guitars on that record are anything special. It sounds like a modified Marshall JCM800 or 2203 with a the top end rolled off a bit. I realize it's a Soldano but it's not "magical" to my ears.

On their last record, it's a Diezel mixed with some Soldano and personally, I think it's their worst recorded guitar sounds.

Mike P said:
audiomidijace said:

LOL

The point is that if someone is trying to nail a very specific tone, it's best to use the same exact gear. Otherwise, it's an exercise in futility.

And for the record, DeMartini didn't begin using the Soldano on recordings until their 4th album.

Personally, I don't think the guitars on that record are anything special. It sounds like a modified Marshall JCM800 or 2203 with a the top end rolled off a bit. I realize it's a Soldano but it's not "magical" to my ears.

On their last record, it's a Diezel mixed with some Soldano and personally, I think it's their worst recorded guitar sounds.

I think their best tone is on their 1999 self titled album.