JF Foglifter for a Randall RT2/50

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msm222

Reaction score
Does anyone have the JF Foglifter upgrade for a Randall RT2/50? I see talk of the upgrade to Randall heads but haven't seen much mention of the upgrade to the power amp...

I had my RT-2/50's boards modded and just re-installed them a couple of weeks ago. At some point I will post my thoughts on this (and some other as yet inbound items), but for now, what would you like to know?

Basically, how much are you intending it to enhance the overall sound of your RT2/50?

To me, I think it will be a great investment - though I am pretty happy with the sound of my RT2/50 at present.

Ok, well now that I have a minute, I may as well just write my 'review' now.

Basically, the Foglifters do exactly what Rob says they do: the lows are more focused, and the feel is improved. The highs are more airy and open (less shrill), and the sweep of the presence pot feels a bit more reserved, natural. This is probably about as succinct as I can be here.

Now, the biggest downside to all this is the fact that both PCBs must be removed and sent in for modification. You actually have to remove the front panel to accomplish this (which you'd still have to do if they were drop-in replacements anyway). Having done it once, it wouldn't be a problem, but it was a huge annoyance at the time, probably enhanced by the fact that I really do not enjoy tinkering with small parts to begin with. That said though, it was worth every minute.

Bottom line, my honest opinion is that this is an essential upgrade for these amps.

Hope that helps - any more specific questions, please ask away.

One thing of note: the process described here would be exactly the same for the RT 2/50 even if I offered a drop-in replacement board. You would still have to remove the front panel to remove and install the replacement board. I'm always available to walk anyone through the process if need be.

Thank you. Great insight. That is exactly what I heard the upgrade does. Definitely will be getting it soon. Thanks again...