Base modded Plexi

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ricky

Reaction score
Has anyone had a base mod done on the Randall Plexi? I kind of like the stock plexi and wonder what the base mod might do for it. the base mods on my Deluxe and Bassman were stellar so I was just wondering as I have more experience with vintage fender tones than old marshall ones.

Rick,
Keep in mind Base Mods are always done to the specific requests of the customer who originally had them done. As such, there is no "standard base mod" to any module. They should all be assumed to be unique based on the original customer's needs and tastes. That said, you have a lot of flexibility to have a module tuned for you this way as well.
All the best,
Rob

Thanks Rob. That being said, anyone out there have any suggestions in making the stock Plexi more "plexi-ish?"

ricky said:
Thanks Rob. That being said, anyone out there have any suggestions in making the stock Plexi more "plexi-ish?"

My opinion: there is little validity in the claim that just changing components with "better quality" components (1% tolerance resistors, vintage capacitors, etc) will improve your module. There is a lot of hype out there... If you like the stock plexi, keep it. Now, you can modify it to be more flexible, keeping all the stock sounds but adding a couple of switches to round the mids and bottom, increase the gain range with an extra stage, broadening the eq, etc, but I don't know if that qualifies as a base mod.

I like the stock plexi a lot. In fact, I think nearly all stock modules will do at least one thing well with the right power amp/cab setup. My complaint is more with their lack of flexibility than with how they do what they do.

All of the Fender modules I bought from Randall had this funky hollow sound to them. The Tweed was really woofy, the Deluxe was un-spanky, the Twin, not even close, etc.. I sent them to Rob and he seemed to know what I was talking about and now they are spot on with the originals. As I have either owned these amps or still own the originals I could discern the difference. I have never owned a Plexi so even though I like the stocker I was just wondering if it can also be opened up sonically to what a real plexi is like. Basically I don't have a good frame of reference but a lot of you guys might.

ricky said:
All of the Fender modules I bought from Randall had this funky hollow sound to them. The Tweed was really woofy, the Deluxe was un-spanky, the Twin, not even close, etc.. I sent them to Rob and he seemed to know what I was talking about and now they are spot on with the originals. As I have either owned these amps or still own the originals I could discern the difference. I have never owned a Plexi so even though I like the stocker I was just wondering if it can also be opened up sonically to what a real plexi is like. Basically I don't have a good frame of reference but a lot of you guys might.

My experience with the stock Plexi was very poor. It has way too much 500hz, making it "mucky" sounding. The module didn't have enough gain and sounded like the cabinet was muffled with a blanket.

I think your best bet is having it transformed into a modded Plexi of your choice rather than trying to polish, IMO anyway, a turd.

mfgobbi said:
ricky said:

My opinion: there is little validity in the claim that just changing components with "better quality" components (1% tolerance resistors, vintage capacitors, etc) will improve your module. There is a lot of hype out there... If you like the stock plexi, keep it. Now, you can modify it to be more flexible, keeping all the stock sounds but adding a couple of switches to round the mids and bottom, increase the gain range with an extra stage, broadening the eq, etc, but I don't know if that qualifies as a base mod.

I like the stock plexi a lot. In fact, I think nearly all stock modules will do at least one thing well with the right power amp/cab setup. My complaint is more with their lack of flexibility than with how they do what they do.

Quote honestly it sounds like you have more than enough knowledge to do your own base mod...If extending existing capabilities is doable to you now - that would qualify as a great base mod in my book.

Thanks everybody. To The figster: You have not seen me with a soldering iron...not a pretty site
To Mike P: I think you get it in that the Plexi sounds good at least to my ears but there is something missing. I liked your blanket description. I have had that complaint with all of the other stock mods. Rob truly opened them up in some way and i was thinking that the same could be done with the Plexi. Like with my Tweed or Deluxe, I didn't want any more switches, I wanted it to sound like the real deal and it was the best $100 I had spent. Thanks Oregon. I will just give the Mod Meister a call and see what he thinks.

ricky said:
Thanks everybody. To The figster: You have not seen me with a soldering iron...not a pretty site
To Mike P: I think you get it in that the Plexi sounds good at least to my ears but there is something missing. I liked your blanket description. I have had that complaint with all of the other stock mods. Rob truly opened them up in some way and i was thinking that the same could be done with the Plexi. Like with my Tweed or Deluxe, I didn't want any more switches, I wanted it to sound like the real deal and it was the best $100 I had spent. Thanks Oregon. I will just give the Mod Meister a call and see what he thinks.

Ricky, is there a specific early Marshall tone that you're hearing in your head or that you want to hear? There's a different tone stack in the 1959/1987 head than the later two input JMP 2203/2204 (which AC/DC used on Back In Black and Highway to Hell).

I would imagine that narrowing down the tone you're wanting will help point you in the right direction.

:D

ricky said:

Sorry, responded to the wrong person....Was thinking you said you had the soldering skills already....Certainly send it off if you don't...The PCBs are easy to play with and just as easy to make a mess on if you don't know what you are doing...

100 bucks for these specific changes isn't a bad investment at all if there are just a few things you don't like about a mod... :)