Fizzy

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kylendm

Reaction score
So no matter how much I mod a module I still feel that on high gain modules the tone has a kind of fizzy sound when not using too much gain or lack definition when not using enough gain. I think this is the main reason I leave the mts series so much. There's just something about the tone from say my Baron that I can't recreate in a module.

Other than a mark module does anyone have the same experience?

Hmm... I've not experienced either of those issues with my rm100. I had a salvo stonerverb that had a constant background 'fizz', but the noise gate switch made it go away. I would have left MTS right from the start if I had your particular experience as I HATE fizzy amps, and one of my favorite things about my rig is how well defined everything is, low gain or high. I wonder then if you have a technical issue with your setup?

Corium_AZ said:
Hmm... I've not experienced either of those issues with my rm100. I had a salvo stonerverb that had a constant background 'fizz', but the noise gate switch made it go away. I would have left MTS right from the start if I had your particular experience as I HATE fizzy amps, and one of my favorite things about my rig is how well defined everything is, low gain or high. I wonder then if you have a technical issue with your setup?

Im with Corium...fizz to me is what I had with my Triple Rectos...Not really hearing that with my mods. Maybe the Baron is just your "sound"? We all have different taste- Cant say that the MTS stuff works for everyone- nor does the Baron's etc...otherwise we'd all have the same amps!

How loud do you play? If you play with the master on 1 and through a 4x12, most modules are going to sound fizzy. You need some volume..

You might do a trade out with your tubes? I've been lucky to not have had this issue.

If it's all your modules, the amp would be the place to start with tube experiments.

Kapo_Polenton said:
How loud do you play? If you play with the master on 1 and through a 4x12, most modules are going to sound fizzy. You need some volume..

I second that. You can't really appreciate the tone of a tube amp at midnight bedroom volumes. It seems there is a certain threshold below which the output circuit does not function properly amplifying the entire sound spectrum evenly.

Agree wholeheartedly with the volume.comments and the decimator and/or noise gate comments, but i had the same issue with a fizz (which I despise) and was able to get rid of it with an EQ
Personally I use a tc electronics 1128 (can be had on used market for 120 or so) and that annoying fizziness while playing is gone.
Its also a winner in my books because its midi programmable and has the ability to store 99 presets. So with each module I can customize the EQ :)

Well volume isn't really the issue. I live in a pretty spead out area and play with the master at noon and the module at noon when really jamming. Same volume I use at practice.

It's just a characteristic of the amp I believe. I've owned 5150/6505+s, Dual/Single Rectos, VHT UL, Baron, SLO and something about the characteristic of all the high gain modules has kinda a fizzy character; it's not as raw is another way to put it.

I'll have to get some more modules to see if this is still apparent in some of the modded ones. 8)

I own a baron b60ml and a snott... Such cool amps!

To be honest with you, I completely compare my modules against my heads. I have just under 30...

BUT

I think it comes down to how you use them. Personally I feel every module by every modder sounds flat compared to the real amps.

I find the magic comes out when you find a nice boost that compliments the module your playing.

How high do you have the presence? That can make your modules sound to fizzy.
One thing I have learned with the MTS line is that sometimes you have to throw convention out the window. Don't eq and tweak with your eyes, let your ears guide you.
For me there was always a struggle to balance out modules stacked next to each other in a head or preamp. So I started tweaking things some weird ways. Like t/m/b at 9/5/3, then switching it when moved from amp to 4/7/6.
I really learned how to tweak each module in and out, and I have noticed that a lot of the high gainers have some fizz to them, but I also learned how you can tweak that out. So that great tone is there, just need to tweak it little by little.
As fun as the mts line is, there are so many variables to consider. Maybe something's I am suggesting you have tried, but I have only scratched the surface on some possible solutions.

I find that preamp tubes make a big difference here. Most importantly the V1 input tube on the amp or RM4 has a great impact on this. I now use Genalex - Gold Lion ECC83 (Standard) for that. This seems to supply a really clean, solid signal.
I also use a JAN-GE 5751 for the phase inverter.
For mid gain modules I use a Electro-Harmonix 12AX7 in V1 and a Genalex - Gold Lion ECC83 in V2.
For high gain modules I use 2 Electro-Harmonix 12AX7.
For clean modules I use a Genalex - Gold Lion ECC83 (Standard) in V1 and a Tung-Sol 12AX7 in V2.
If a clean or low gain module starts breaking up too early I use a JAN-GE 5751 in V1.
No more fizz in my MTS system. :wink:

I've never used a rm100 and always played through a non-randall power section mostly using Engl or VHT power amps, never experienced and particular fizz related to mts.

Nota bene, I use my M4 loaded with salvation mods along side a Larry preamp and the M4 is holding up very well! Most other preamps simply can't compare with the Larry.
The magic and novelty of mts is in the preamp section, might want to change your power amp?