MTS Forum Forum Index
Discussion forum for Synergy, Egnater & Randall MTS Amps & Modules

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question about signature modules and mods

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTS Forum Forum Index -> Signature Artist MTS Models
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mfgobbi
RM100

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 11:14 am    Post subject: Question about signature modules and mods Reply with quote

I am new to this and it may have been done to death scattered all over the forum, but...

I am interested in knowing whether or not JF, Salvation, SG, and other modders have the stock signature circuits in their modded modules, and how accurate. For the regular Randall modules I kind of have a good idea but if anyone can add new info I would appreciate. Particularly it would be great if the settings (pull knobs, switches, etc) on the modded/custom modules could be provided, so that it "replicates" the signature circuits. As an example, I did for the stock Blackface what I would like to know for others (and correct me it it's wrong!!):

Blackface=JF Texas Special (cali on/cali on/deep off)=Salvo Twinface (twin on/push off/mojo on)=???.

What about

KH1=???
KH2=???
KH3=???
SuperV=???
Brahma=???
Mr Scary=???
Grail=???
1086=???

Also, for all stock other modules it would be interesting to know interesting facts.
JayDA
Lynch Box

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What? I don't get it. You mean how the sig mods compare to modded modules? not even close....
mfgobbi
RM100

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayDA wrote:
What? I don't get it. You mean how the sig mods compare to modded modules? not even close....

No that's not really what I mean. In the same way that some of the mods are more or less close reproductions of stock fender or marshall preamplifiers (as are the stock modules) , I was thinking if some of the mods have in their options of switching the preamps that are in the signature modules. For example can I dial in the brahma circuit/tones with the Salvation Vishnu mod? With that many switches and options of the vishnu I would think yes. What about the other sig modules?
Jaymzrock
RM100

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what you're asking is can you have a modded module and use the options to dial it back the the stock settings? I would say probably not. The internal components are thoroughly upgraded if not replaced (examples below)so going "back" to stock tone would be difficult, but let me add: you would NEVER want to in my opinion. The modded JF, Salvo, SG mods are exponentially superior to the tones of the stock modules.

If you're looking for a specific tone from a different amp or artist that would be easier to answer. But if you want a modded preamp to sound like a stock preamp, I'd say stick with the stock preamp.

See the difference? It's literally night and day. The modded preamps are much, much fuller, louder, more dynamic, and Better!

mfgobbi
RM100

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaymzrock wrote:
I think what you're asking is can you have a modded module and use the options to dial it back the the stock settings? I would say probably not. The internal components are thoroughly upgraded if not replaced (examples below)so going "back" to stock tone would be difficult, but let me add: you would NEVER want to in my opinion. The modded JF, Salvo, SG mods are exponentially superior to the tones of the stock modules.

If you're looking for a specific tone from a different amp or artist that would be easier to answer. But if you want a modded preamp to sound like a stock preamp, I'd say stick with the stock preamp.

See the difference? It's literally night and day. The modded preamps are much, much fuller, louder, more dynamic, and Better!

I am not disputing the improvements of the modded modules in terms of tone or versatility. I myself have 10 mods and 5 on order. I think that's a few for 3 months in the MTS game. However, just look at the case of the Salvation description of the vishnu. It deliberately replicates a Brahma (a stock module) in parallel with a JCM800, plus a few options. My question is: how to dial the tone of the sig modules if possible.
Mattfig
Donating Member

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if you like the originals enough, go for base mods that expand what you already dig. Vishnu is one of the few that actually added in a sig/stock circuit to compliment a mod...

It works amazingly well and I get what mfgobbi is saying...

Otherwise, the modded modules try to get away from stock features for obvious reasons...I think Salvation should consider a Recto with a Grail channel too....Smile

Kemper Profiles -
www.mattfig.com
mfgobbi
RM100

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mattfig wrote:
I think if you like the originals enough, go for base mods that expand what you already dig. Vishnu is one of the few that actually added in a sig/stock circuit to compliment a mod...

It works amazingly well and I get what mfgobbi is saying...

Otherwise, the modded modules try to get away from stock features for obvious reasons...I think Salvation should consider a Recto with a Grail channel too....Smile

Matfig got to the point I am trying to get at...

Talking about the Grail then, isn't it a rectifier circuit with slightly different eq/mids? Can't it be dialed with a mamba, snakebyte, erect, deadplate?

Of course I agree with you that no mod would sound like 2 parallel signals mixed in a single mod.

I would like to see a dirty fender or vox (loose and open sounding) mixed with a clean midrange fat marshall plexi post Jtm (super lead type).
Jaymzrock
RM100

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, Ok. I think I misunderstood. The Chupacabra is one that expands on the 1086 and adds a lot more growl and intensity, but has the options to set the switches off to get the same territory of the Donegal sig, albeit a little louder and more polished.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTS Forum Forum Index -> Signature Artist MTS Models All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: