what do you think of your JF XTC?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

withmittens

Reaction score
is it accurate as far as you can tell? is it different than other JF mods you have?

can you tell me about your experience with it?

thanks

I think so - I A/B'ed mine against a friends 101B in my RM100 and it was pretty much the same tone all the way - he was not a happy bunny :)

Drew can probably comment better than I as he has owned both at the same time!

It certainly gets a lot of the nuances and tones of the 101b. Especially how it darkens up the higher the gain knob is set. Just wish it had the b1/b2 switches. Other than that its one of the modules that gets closest to the real thing in my opinion.

I only really compare it to my other Marshall module, JF 59RR (not platinum or custom). The EQ'ing of them is very similar but may be able to scoop the 59RR mids a hair more. Very similar in the available amount of gain. The XTC is more warm and smooth. 59RR is more raw and biting. I don't really use the Plexi side of the XTC much but it is pretty clean if you need it. It also seems to me that the 59RR is more sensitive to pick attack. The more you dig in, the more bite it has. I can make them sound very similar but there's still enough difference to make me keep both.

I had a XTC from JF, it's a great module by its own, compared to another JF it has a dynamic character (plexi switch apart) and a moderated to strong power depends on the valve you choose for it. Comparing to another kind of XTC out there, it seems to has less overwhole functionality or versatility but the sound is unique in this unit, and fits very well in the mix.

I find the JF XTC module to be a bit more "saggy" the actual head. Not quite as articulate.