SVP

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doornat

Reaction score
Anyone got some useful opinions of it? I play bass primarily and the idea of a hundred watt tube bass head is very appealing to me. I'll be running it through a Genz Benz 2x8/1x12 Uber Quad Neo cab and using an Eden World Tour Preamp, playing a Brubaker Brute 4 string and Fender Active Jazz Deluxe V with a J retro preamp.

Would it be worth it to lug the hundred watt head around or should I get the 50 or 20 instead?
Does it carry the lower register bass frequencies pretty well?
Does it sound pretty close to the real thing?
How loud does it get live?

Thanks broskies

I am mostly a guitar guy but use the SVP when I record bass. I have never used it live or with real speakers. I have something I recorded with an old 1X15 ampeg speaker sim and it is great! On that cut it was kind of an old Eric Clapton-ish Bluesbreaker gut bucket sound and it pulled it off. I have also used it with a Hartke sim for a cleaner sound and I was happy with that one also. You can go to Rob's site and he has a clip, but I think the SVP sounds a lot better than his clip to be honest.

If you get a good SVP, the options are endless! Problem is, some are noisy because of cheap boards in the output stage.

My bass player uses one with 2 Ampeg 4 x 10's - metal grill - 2 Sonic 1 x 18 cabs - loaded with EVs - and a Carvin DCM2000 and it is HANDS down the best bass rig I have ever heard! The low end is ridiculous, but clear and the highs and mids all work together. I have had a dozen bass players over the years, several with SVTs and 8 x 10 cabs and adding the 1 x 18 cabs is the difference. 15s just can't produce the sub frequencies, but 18s just kill it! and he is playing Les Paul basses tuned to low A! Getting solid lows out of a std tuned bass is not an issue

In my studio I also have an SVP that record direct with. Again, the tone options are staggering and no one has used anything but the SVP-Pro since I installed it in '98. Once they start tweaking knobs they realize they wasted time and effort bringing their rig to the studio :p It happens every time, no matter how in denial they are prior to tracking :p LOL

It's a great unit! I have always been thrilled with mine

Good Luck!

H