RM4 with a Voodoo GCX & GCP

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scary groove

Reaction score
Midi newb here. Does anyone know if a Ground Control Pro can be used to change the channels on an RM4? The back has a midi pin outlet but it says "footswitch". I would like to use my GCP to change channels on the RM4.

Thanks

scary groove said:
Midi newb here. Does anyone know if a Ground Control Pro can be used to change the channels on an RM4? The back has a midi pin outlet but it says "footswitch". I would like to use my GCP to change channels on the RM4.

Thanks

Hey - I use the GCX / GCP to do this so it's possible but I'm a little confused by the question? On the GCP you should have a Midi in / out and two TRS pedal jacks like this:

http://en.audiofanzine.com/midi-ped...trol-pro/medias/pictures/a.play,m.366093.html

So you could lead the midi out from the GCP to the RM4 midi in, if you use a seven pin midi cable the RM4 will power the GCP too. Make sure they are set to the same midi channel and you should be good.

If however you are talking about the GCX there is no midi in, rather you plug the GCP into the port that looks like a midi port but is marked "Pedal In" then lead the midi out on the GCX into the RM4 midi in - that should work too :)

GCX layout is here:

http://www.voodoolab.com/gcx_bg.htm

Hope that helps, if I've missed the point let me know or if you have any further questions fire away with those too!

webrthomson said:
scary groove said:
Midi newb here. Does anyone know if a Ground Control Pro can be used to change the channels

So you could lead the midi out from the GCP to the RM4 midi in

That is my concern/question. My RM4 does not say "midi" in/out. It says "footswitch" in/out. I know that it is a 7 pin slot, but my question is this: Can the GCP control the channel selection on the RM4?

Thank you!

Details on the MIDI implementation are here:

http://mtsforum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=5606

The Footswitch IN and THRU are analogous to MIDI IN and THRU

scary groove said:
webrthomson said:
scary groove said:
Midi newb here. Does anyone know if a Ground Control Pro can be used to change the channels

So you could lead the midi out from the GCP to the RM4 midi in

That is my concern/question. My RM4 does not say "midi" in/out. It says "footswitch" in/out. I know that it is a 7 pin slot, but my question is this: Can the GCP control the channel selection on the RM4?

Thank you!

Right - that makes more sense - sorry I don't have a RM4 so I didn't get that was the question!

webrthomson and JKD,

Thanks for your insight. I checked out the link. My midi knowledge might be below all that at the moment. I have the GCP connected to the GCX (also from Voodoo). I already have instant access to pedals via the GCP. But if I have pedals on and try to change channels on the RM4, all the pedals that were on are not anymore. I guess I am trying to have instant access to amps and pedals.

Even if this is what I need to do:

Control Change #56 (w/Control Value 127) allows for ?Instant Access? selection of Channel 1.
Control Change #57 (w/Control Value 127) allows for ?Instant Access? selection of Channel 2.
Control Change #58 (w/Control Value 127) allows for ?Instant Access? selection of Channel 3.
Control Change #59 (w/Control Value 127) allows for ?Instant Access? selection of Channel 4.

I still would not know how to do that with the GCP. Thanks again for your expertise.

scary groove said:
webrthomson and JKD,

Thanks for your insight. I checked out the link. My midi knowledge might be below all that at the moment. I have the GCP connected to the GCX (also from Voodoo). I already have instant access to pedals via the GCP. But if I have pedals on and try to change channels on the RM4, all the pedals that were on are not anymore. I guess I am trying to have instant access to amps and pedals.

Even if this is what I need to do:

Control Change #56 (w/Control Value 127) allows for ?Instant Access? selection of Channel 1.
Control Change #57 (w/Control Value 127) allows for ?Instant Access? selection of Channel 2.
Control Change #58 (w/Control Value 127) allows for ?Instant Access? selection of Channel 3.
Control Change #59 (w/Control Value 127) allows for ?Instant Access? selection of Channel 4.

I still would not know how to do that with the GCP. Thanks again for your expertise.

Hey,

Never tried to do this personally, sure it can be done looking at page 11 of the manual (link to that is here http://www.voodoolab.com/gcontrolpro.htm).

I guess what is happening at the moment is that you are changing preset rather than sending a CC. As you change preset the state of the GCX loops (or CC's) will change unless you make them the same (see editing a preset on page 16 of the manual).

So for example lets say preset 1 is your clean sound with GCX loops 1 & 2 engaged, when you select preset 2 there will (by default) not be any GCX loops selected - you can change this on a preset by preset basis.

However it sounds like you want to assign the different preamps in the RM4 to CC's via the instant access - this is on pages 11 & 15 and essentially you need to remap the buttons on the footswitch to send the CC's above. Normally the top two rows of GCP footswitches control the GCX loops 1-8 (with the bottom row of 4 buttons allowing you to change preset), but you can remap the CC's these send to control say loops 1-4 on the GCX and change the RM4 preamps 1-4 instead.

Is my assumption above correct?

Yes you are correct. And thank you. That manual is 30 pages! I think this will give me the instant access for the RM4 channels that I am trying for.

Thanks!

Should do - follow the instructions at the bottom of page 11 (and set the GCP to 4 preset mode) and you should be good!

You will need to set the CC's in all of the presets that you use for this! Let us know how you get on :)

Does anyone know how to hook up the midi controlling using a Voodoo labs Ground Control Pro?

My gear is:
-2x RM4 units
-RT 2/50 power amp,
-Voodoo labs GCX,
-TC G-major along with some pedals in the effects loop

thanster2000 said:
Does anyone know how to hook up the midi controlling using a Voodoo labs Ground Control Pro?

My gear is:
-2x RM4 units
-RT 2/50 power amp,
-Voodoo labs GCX,
-TC G-major along with some pedals in the effects loop

Hey - not 100% sure what you mean and depends on your setup - I used to run a setup like that with M4's in the GCX loops - basically my midi chain was:

GCP - GCX - (via thru) - M4(1 / GCX loop 1) - (via thru) - M4(2 / GCX loop 2) - (via thru) - FX processor (loop 3)

Hope that helps, thru from one device goes to in on the next! If you have specific questions let us know what you want to achieve etc. and we can chime in :D