My tone hunt

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Rossness

Reaction score
As some of you are aware, I've been doing the MTS thing for a long time. Recently, I sold half of my modules in order to fund a kemper. I've been looking for the perfect amp and since I've never been able to find what I'm looking for, I thought the Kemper would be my ticket.

Last year, I liked my MarkUS so much, I bought a Mesa MarkV only to be disappointed by it. I had the module, bought the mesa, sold the module, didn't like the mesa and sold it and reacquired the module 8 months later.

After listening to many kemper comments and demo's, I decided not to get one. While the tone is there, the feel wasn't. I've become a big stickler for how an amp should feel. So, I took a chance and got the amp that my other favorite module is based on. I got a VHT CL100 Pitbull. I bought one sight unseen, unplayed and untested. The amp arrived about a week after I bought it and when I plugged it in, I was really disappointed. I thought "Darn it, I've done it again. Here's another amp I never should have gotten. I'll try it again, but I'll probably put it on Egay in a month". After my initial disappointment, I went back and played it some more, tweaked it here and there, played around with the graphic EQ and twisted and turned all the knobs. I now firmly believe that it's one of the best amps I've ever played. The green channel is killer and when combined with the graphic eq, I can get many more sounds out of it than the 2 channel design would lead you to believe. While the green channel is high gain, the red is low- medium gain. I have it set up as a clean/ crunch channel and get dumble-esque tones with the guitar's volume low and classing rock with the volume high. For thin lizzy type stuff, I throw on a little drive and instantly become a Gary Moore wannabe. Its not the greatest amp at all things. My 5153 sounds better for certain things, as do My MTS modules. But the feel is there, notes are crystal clear and it puts a big smile on my face.

I've come to a point where I know I'm not going to sound just like the music I like listening to. I'm no George Lynch, or EVH or Chris Cheney and its time to stop trying to get their tones and its time to start getting my own. The VHT really does it for me tone-wise and puts a smile on my face. I'm happy I got it over the kemper.

Peace~