Patchbay Routing, whaddya think?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nightdare

Reaction score
Been overextending the grey matter for the past week setting up for an incoming patchbay setup

My old 2ch Harddiskrecorder has been used as input mixer for some time now
but constantly replugging it to switch from Guitars to synths, won't make the sockets last forever
Nor is it practical to move my heavy-*** flightcase to replug preamps and FX units

Budget not being what it once was, I settled for a simple setup of alot of cable, a behringer ADA8000 and PX3000
Especially since I'm pretty content with my Soundcard which although having only 2 analog ins/outs, also has 8ch ADAT in/out

Using the ADA8000 will add 8 inputs
but with 2 Synths (6 outputs), 4 Preamps (4 in + 4/8 Out) and 3 FX-units (4 in + 5/8 outs, 2 are capable of the 3CM)
I'm still short a few holes
So along comes the PX-3000 patchbay, with that the games begin and racking my brain, so far I've come up with this:

2q32fyt.jpg

(yes, that's a typo at the 2nd 1212M input :p)

I succeeded in the unwritten rule: "Top connections are outs, Bottom are ins"
I also put the 'fx-section' in center to allow easier access from either the guitar or synth side
(not that I worry about cable lengths, but it also helps keep things logical)

Synths, preamp outputs -1- and the Tuner (DTR-1 Pos #22) are Half-normalized allowing me to tap or insert/break a signal
Everything else is set to Thru

The way I see it, I can now always run synths and preamps dry, put them in series or Parallel with up to 2 different FX units (3 for the XV-88 ) at the same time
I'm able to use Pre- and Post FX from the MPX-G2 and GX-700, while the Intellifex is wired stereo

I can run Silent, Live or both

The Tuner and Poweramp could be routed to the ADA8000's outputs, but I figure, if my computer were to crap out (or I'm too lazy to turn it on)
this would still allow me the use of the patchbay without replugging

As is, I still have some room for additions or even make the MPX and GX run stereo-out (I believe it's possible I can run the MPX stereo-In as well)
Since it's a balanced patchbay, I could even cheat using Y-cables to save connections

Though I'll probably plug in an FX unit or preamp through the front of the rack, If I want, I can also plug into the patchbay
The only thing I won't have is a patched direct signal

Great job, these take a lot of work to master - they seem relatively easy, until you try setting patch bay up.

Yeah, I'm thinking it might even have been easier if I simply did it 'hands on' when receiving the units
But I gotta say using a template and color-coding the various groups
(Every colorgroup will be a wireloom ) allowed some brainstorming with cut/paste actions

(In my first draft I -stupidly- thought about using thru connections for setting up the Preamps ins/outs above eachother,
which would have cost me a whole lot of flexibility, which would have been at least another hour of rewiring using trial and error)

The only trouble is, that I have to order a few extra wirelooms, since I added the 2nd preamp outs for added flexibility
-which wasn't in my first plan when ordering- I'm a few short