Xtc modding

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nutbox

Reaction score
Hi there,
I was just wondering what mods can be done to the xtc module.
I know changing C3 to a .001u cap gives a tighter lower end?

But is there any other mods that can be done to improve it
I have had a search but it all seems a bit vague on what mods work on the xtc.

So all help appreciated thanks dazz

I am wondering the same thing as to what a Beginner Modder can do with an XTC... The biggest mod ive ever done was clipping the C1 off an SL+....
-Matt Page-

To make it more similar to the real XTC:
-remove C10 (2.2uF)
-add 1uF over R9
-add a 2k7-220nF over R10
-remove C17 (470p)

Hi tschrama
thanks for the info, just to clarify is that piggy back the cap on to r9, and is that add a 2k7 resistor and a 220nf cap to r10.
Also is it best to use orange drop caps for this?
Thank you again for the help dazz

yep, piggy back 1uF over R9 ; picky back a 2k7 in series with a 220nF together over R10.

These steps together compensate , more or less, for the different input stage and higher V+ of the rm100 compared to the real XTC. It will make it a bit tighter and upping the gain a bit, but it keeps the complex midrange. For a even tighert feel switch the 2.2nF input cap to 1nF, if you not allready done that. It might be a bit too uch all together. try and see...

If you have a specific tone desire with you XTC module, I might be able to give some more specific modding tips.

Hi tscharma ,
That sounds like a starting point as for specific tone I dont know yet , because it is a mod I am doing for my guitar tutor because he said it was pretty flat and didnt inspire him like his plexi.
I shal do these mods and see what he thinks .
thanks again much appreciated dazz

Please could you clarify what would be the best piggy back caps for the mod,because I have a load of ceramics or is it best to use orange drops or silver micas?
Cheers

FWIW, when I first started modding things here and there I just used Orange Drop Caps for everything as a reference...Always good to stay with one brand when doing initial testing, then refine with different brands....Just my .02 ...

.. unless I am building instrumentation electronics...I dont care for different types of capacitors, brands even less so. Cheapest polyester red wima's are fine with me..

Thank you for the info , whats the best site to help me start to get to know how to mod these modules the best resources shoukd we say lol.
cheers

would clipping c10 and c17 and doing nothing else, improve the sound?

Trying to get my 10th post as well, please excuse the newbiecy

Reviving a really old thread here! I did these mods and what a difference it has made!
Thanks a lot !

So reviving an old thread again. Is there any A B sound clips of before and after? I have an XTC and was thinking about selling it. Sounds just kinda average to me. I have a Grail and Mr Scary. Those sound good to me and I like the sound clip of the Salvation Mark Us I heard