MarkUs / Mark X impressions

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buriedorburned

Reaction score
I take it some members on here have owned both the MarkUs and Mark X. Would any of you mind giving me your opinions on them both?
Especially in warmth, versitality, and over all tone...
I'm pretty sure one of them is my next mod, but I'm stuck at a fork in the road....

Also, just to be clear. I am NOT asking who's better. I admire all modders, i'm just asking for impressions on each....

i have owned both...
in all honesty.. the Jaded Faith Mark X was he first one and i thought it was great - hit the sounds of metallica just like i wanted..
then.. I heard the MarkUs...
HUGE difference..

I prefer the MarkUs

Looking to score a MarkUS (again) to compare...currently have a Dual Channel MarkX and a Gigmods Mark Series.

The MachX is definitely different to the Gigmods and different from what I remember the MarkUS being like.

Is the Dual MachX unique in that it is based on a Fender/COD style module so that the EQ is pre-gain? Do the single channels do this also...I can't remember. :)

Howdy :)
How is the MarkUs?
What are your thoughts?
You can also leave reviews on the motorcitymods.com website :)

Johnny Wadd said:
Howdy :)
How is the MarkUs?
What are your thoughts?
You can also leave reviews on the motorcitymods.com website :)

Not sure how valid my opinion is since my playing sucks and I don't play in a band :)

Its very valid.
My playing sucks too and I'm not in a band either!
But to me.. The MarkUs is my favorite mod.
Its all a matter of what YOU like :)

I think they are basically intended to do two different things.

Dual MachX
Mine is built on either a Fender or COD platform I assume, since the EQ is before the gain....pretty much means the EQ mostly affects the feel of the gain and I can feed it more apparent gain by upping higher frequencies (Treble or Bright Switch.)

It can do a passable clean and high gain sound in the same module without really shifting the EQ..which is nice. (Crunch and Extreme channels.)

The high gain reminds me more of a COD/Fender type sound than the typical scooped EQ Metallica or DT sound..since the EQ and voicing switch appears to be pre gain (I could be speaking out of turn here...)

Single Channel MarkUS
I don't know how the gain is structured on this one, except it has two gain controls of course....with the Lead Drive bringing the beef.

There are two modes, with the blue mode producing something similar to a COD/Fender type driven sound and the RED mode producing that thick and beefy Metallica/DT type sound.

The EQ has a wider range/bigger effect and the scoop setting is pretty useful.

Both have useful sounds..

If I could make one change to the MachX it would be to add more gain and perhaps more EQ variety...a 3 way switch?

If I could make one change to the MarkUS it would be a switch to smooth some high end and maybe ditch the gate for somethingf more useful. The Noise Gate function affects the feel and the sound of the module too much..I have them on two other Salvation Modules and never use them.

I too have had both at the same time. Both sound great. Without going in to detail the MarkUs was better for vintage Boogie tones and the Mark X was better at modern tones. For me anyway.
I played a Mesa Triaxis with a 50/50 and a 2-90 for many years. I also worked for a Boogie dealer from '92 to '98. So I'm pretty familiar with the tones.
That being said, I just got sick of the Boogie thing. So I don't have either of those modules anymore.

I haven't played the MarkX. However, I've said many times that the MarkUS is my favourite MTS module. I like it more than a mesa Mark V, so that's saying something. It's tone is tight, articulate and cutting, sometimes it cuts a little too much. I like to dime the gain, and boost the module and i keep the gain voicing pot, or whatever its called rolled way back. I use mine in the V-EQ red voicing with all the knobs set somewhere around noon, just like a Mesa Mark 4. Pump a little delay through the amp and its reason enough to own the module and the MTS system. I can't immagine the MarkX sounding better. However, maybe it gets closer to an actually Mark V? I really don't know. When comparing the Salvo to the Mesa, I noticed how they didn't sound the same. the module has more gain and is easier to EQ. I don't know if the JF gets closer, but the tone on the Salvo is incredible, and in my case I wouldn't bother getting the JF. That's not a dig on the Mark X, I just can't imagine it sounding anywhere close to the Salvo.

It's the only module I've ever sold and re-aquired. The first one I had, had a push/ pull pot that when pulled, bypassed the gain for a clean tone. That's what I'd like my current module to have. To get a clean tone, the gain has to be on almost nil and the volume must be wide open. It sounds good, but lacks some depth. The clean tones on the module do not rival a mesa mark V. Those tones are some of the best cleans I've heard.

*It should also note, that I like my MTS setup darker than most use a stock Density/ presence board. That affects my tone in a great way!

Note that the single channel MarkX is different from the Dual Channel MachX.

My newly acquired MarkUS I have is better than my Dual Channel MachX at delivering those 'modern, cutting, tones' ... it simply has that much more perceived gain.

It sounds to me like you're talking about the MachX, not the MarkX. The MachX is based on a COD module platform, whereas the MarkX (as far as I know) is based on a standard high gain module platform. Two totally different mods.

frodgemo said:
It sounds to me like you're talking about the MachX, not the MarkX. The MachX is based on a COD module platform, whereas the MarkX (as far as I know) is based on a standard high gain module platform. Two totally different mods.

Ah! Bingo!

Going back to correct my posts! :)

I was thinking the same thing. From what I remember hearing, the MarkX and MachX are completely different. I can't compare any but the MarkX completely nails the old Metallica and Maiden for me. It's my favorite module. Never tried a MarkUS tho..

I've never used a Markus and I don't use the Mark X for heavy stuff I mainly use it for the Santana tones I get out of it.
It just has that creamy sustain with the right settings.

davetheslave said:
I've never used a Markus and I don't use the Mark X for heavy stuff I mainly use it for the Santana tones I get out of it.

Well, that's a great observations. I fell the markUS is designed to primarily sound like the gain channel from a Mark IV. You say its designed to sound like a MK1...interesting.

I may be wrong but the markX seams to be nearly a clone of the extreme MKV preamp, while the MarkUS tries to get a wider range of the mark series tones, all sharing the pre gain eq, and cover more boogie tones with an extra volume control, wider eq, more gain on tap, etc.. I don't understand why no modder has a Mark 2 C+ clone as such, when it is arguably the pinnacle of boogie tones and has its circuit present in both the mk IV and mk V.

The Rossness said:
davetheslave said:

Well, that's a great observations. I fell the markUS is designed to primarily sound like the gain channel from a Mark IV. You say its designed to sound like a MK1...interesting.

I have both the JF MarkX and the JF MachX in dual channel. The MachX is cleaner and more like a Mesa MarkII. The MarkX is more edgy/dry. I haven't tried the MarkUS since it's not available in dual channel, but I'll break down a get one soon anyway.