Benzin vs Angel modules

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxxstock

Reaction score
Hi guys!
I know that they are two different animals, but still ... what would you prefer?
Very interesting are the opinions of those guys who had both modules. :wink:

Generally Diezels are more hot rodded marshalls, "on steroids" if you like (who doesn't..). Engls, well not quite the same, but have their own thing going on, athough I can't really say it's completely an apples vs oranges thing.

I can comment on this one....I hear both mods still in the Marshall tone camp...The Diezel is very good girthy and mean....The Angel is has razor sharp teeth and isn't any friendlier...

If you are a shredder, Angel.
If you are a chugger/shredder, Benzin.

:)

Fig,

would you say the Angel is a bit thinner/buzzier?

Mattfig said:
I can comment on this one....I hear both mods still in the Marshall tone camp...The Diezel is very good girthy and mean....The Angel is has razor sharp teeth and isn't any friendlier...

mfgobbi said:
Fig,

would you say the Angel is a bit thinner/buzzier?

Mattfig said:

I would not call the module thin or buzzy but I will say you could have better luck getting a ripping chainsaw solo out of the Angel methinks...I don't play many solos and found the Angel too tight for punk songs...The Benzin is like a very heavy hand b-slappin Marshall with testicular elephantiasis... :)

I should also say it depends which Angel you are speaking about as Angel E has a pretty good set of danglers on it too!

Mattfig said:

Said cool!

I've never played at Angel E or B module. But I owned Engl E530 preamp (sold it) and now I own Salvation Benzin V.age4.
I regret that I did not possess them at the same time, but I remember the thrill of the play on the E530.
Engl E530 has a very aggressive, squealing and compressed sound thin, but very cutting through.
In my opinion the sound of the 530 is very different from Marshal hot roded. 530th cold and screeching, Marshall juicy and soft.

Benzin V.age4 much more like a marshal on steroids, but it is much darker. Lacks a little sharpness in the attack, but the sound is much richer and thicker than in the 530-m.

I also know (based on my experience) that all MTS modules (even modified) sound more organic and gently than the originals (preamps and heads). Therefore I am very interested in your opinions on Angel module, compared with V.age4. :wink:

Owning an Angel+T I'd say it's tighter than anything I've so far heard.

I'd not call it cold, but it's gaincharacter certainly is less organic than anything else I have in my rack (bar perhaps my Rocktron Piranha)

Its mids are solid, too solid for that Metallica-like chugging, but for let's say Helloween-esque staccato playing, it's amazing since it doesn't muddy up

Nightdare said:
Owning an Angel+T I'd say it's tighter than anything I've so far heard.

I'd not call it cold, but it's gaincharacter certainly is less organic than anything else I have in my rack (bar perhaps my Rocktron Piranha)

Its mids are solid, too solid for that Metallica-like chugging, but for let's say Helloween-esque staccato playing, it's amazing since it doesn't muddy up

Well said!

I have the Benzin and Angel E.
I definitely prefer the Benzin, but that's just me.
The big difference is the benzin has a big fat bottom, and the Angel E is super tight. So I agree with previous posters. For shredding, speed metal, thrash, etc. Angel is your guy.
For big 6 string chords, chugging, and lower gain grainy, growly gain, go with the Benzin.

Also, for those same reasons, the Angel handles low tunings much better.

I have an Angel E and Benzin Coda (Einstein)
I haven't played the regular benzin, but I can tell you nothing beats The Angel E in my opinion.
I have compared it to the Angel, Angel B and Kranky Angel.
And every other high gainer, even Afterlife.
It is simply better than all of them.
It's the most versatile and it has the tight mean cut, but crank the low and it gets huge while staying tight.
NO OTHER MOD has done that for me, period

Some of the other modules known for huge low end sound tend to get boomy in my opinion.
I'm not sure about the Benzin, but the Coda is that way.
Still sounds great...thick and huge, but harder to dial in and doesn't cut quite as much.

grbassist said:
I have an Angel E and Benzin Coda (Einstein)
I haven't played the regular benzin, but I can tell you nothing beats The Angel E in my opinion.
I have compared it to the Angel, Angel B and Kranky Angel.
And every other high gainer, even Afterlife.
It is simply better than all of them.
It's the most versatile and it has the tight mean cut, but crank the low and it gets huge while staying tight.
NO OTHER MOD has done that for me, period

Some of the other modules known for huge low end sound tend to get boomy in my opinion.
I'm not sure about the Benzin, but the Coda is that way.
Still sounds great...thick and huge, but harder to dial in and doesn't cut quite as much.

Hmm...I thought the angel was good, but not great.

Did you have the Angel E?
There is a difference.
BTW, I'm not alone, at least with everyone I know locally.
Every single guitar player I know has picked it out as my best sounding mod.
Players who know tone and have great amps like the Mark IV, Invader, Ubershall, Pittbull UltraLead, JVM, JCM800....