MTS Forum Forum Index
Discussion forum for Synergy, Egnater & Randall MTS Amps & Modules

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

State of the union and a PSA regarding donors and amp sales
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jaded Faith

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kapo_Polenton wrote:
I like your honesty.. it is a bit like beating a dead horse. MTS has probably reached the top of the hill in terms of development. Great amps that do the trick but ultimately, still coming up 10% short when they go up against the amps they try to copy. Has nothing to do with quality necessarily, just something you feel when they go toe to toe. Some people don't feel this.. others do. At the end of the day, although you want to do certain things to these amps, sometimes reshaping what is already there can no doubt be challenging and not cost effective. I notice the shift to modding existing amps new and old. I think this is a fantastic niche and a good business move. Furthermore, a custom amp that combines what you have seen in popular amps with your own ear and changes you made to mods, would be fantastic to offer as well. US made amps packed with features and tones you know have been successful based on how well your modules were received. Right now I am holding onto my lynch box. I think i would lose more if i sold it and it sounds good. I don't think i would be so quick to expand my MTS collection any time soon unless something earth shattering came to be.

Thank you sir, I always try to be to the point and upfront in all dealings. I won't sell service work in the shop that amps do not need either.

When modding amps, there is only so much you can do with the preamp alone. In MTS, you don't get to touch the first gain stage, phase inverter or power section when modding a module. That's huge! There are a lot of tricks you can do given that palate, but it's still a limited canvas.

At the end of the day, regardless of what a mod is claimed to be or do, there are only so many things you can do between 2-3 gain stages and a CF stage.
Authorized Service Center for US Music and Egnater
Authorized Reseller for Celestion, Scumback & Mercury Magnetics
MusiciansFriend.com's Deal Center
Big Steve
RM100

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaded Faith wrote:

When modding amps, there is only so much you can do with the preamp alone. In MTS, you don't get to touch the first gain stage, phase inverter or power section when modding a module. That's huge! There are a lot of tricks you can do given that palate, but it's still a limited canvas.

At the end of the day, regardless of what a mod is claimed to be or do, there are only so many things you can do between 2-3 gain stages and a CF stage.

Rob the amount of variety you have been able to achieve, in both feel and tone, within the constraints of MTS has simply been amazing. I asked you to do some out of the box stuff, mainly 1950's and 60's Fender and Ampeg circuits, and you more than exceeded my expectations. So don't underestimate your ability to modify these amps, even when you are constrained.

I look forward to your new business model. A person with your talents deserves to be rewarded.
ricky
Lynch Box

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has there been any modding of an RM4 done?
withmittens
Lynch Box

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ricky wrote:
Has there been any modding of an RM4 done?

I'm new to RM4, so out of curiosity, what would you have done to it? and what are it;s shortcomings. not that I need to invent reasons to mod but, curiou$
SG, LP Std., Strat
ricky
Lynch Box

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure what I would do to one as I am not very savvy with this stuff. I also would not have known what to do with a mod, an RM50,or an RM100. However people like Rob came along and started tweaking and I was blown away by what this stuff could do. So, I was curious about the untapped potential of the RM4
guitarzan
Donating Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:20 pm    Post subject: Dual channel Reply with quote

Hey Rob,
Would you be interested in selling one of those dual channel conversion boards? I have a RM100 combo that I'd love to convert to dual. Would it be something I could do myself? I'm only slightly guitarded. Glad to hear your business is taking off and you're focusing on your own products. You've got a good ear and the skills to pull it off.
Guitarzan
Syn1, MOD50, M4, Hilly's RM100 modded to dual, RM4 modded to dual channel. G-Major 2, Mesa 20/20, Fryette Powerstation, Friedman Smallbox Combo, 1979 Marshall JMP 50 modded to BE/HBE by Friedman. Tons of modules.
Jaded Faith

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Dual channel Reply with quote

guitarzan wrote:
Hey Rob,
Would you be interested in selling one of those dual channel conversion boards? I have a RM100 combo that I'd love to convert to dual. Would it be something I could do myself? I'm only slightly guitarded. Glad to hear your business is taking off and you're focusing on your own products. You've got a good ear and the skills to pull it off.
Guitarzan

Thank you for the kind words and I am beyond excited to get cranking on this next endeavor. I just returned from a week in LA meeting with some producers and engineers that have made albums with Van Halen, The Doobie Brothers, Edgar Winter, John Mellencamp, Gov't Mule, Cold, Coal Chamber, Roger Waters, Bon Jovi, Red, Skillet, Kelly Clarkson, Flyleaf, 3 Doors Down, Buckcherry, Daughtry, Mudvayne, Santana, Papa Roach, Creed, Three Days Grace, Kiss, Puddle of Mudd, Drowning Pool, Hoobastank, P.O.D., The All-American Rejects, Mt Chemical Romance, Aerosmith, INXS, Chicago, Yes, Linkin Park, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Korn, Staind, Slipknot, Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers, Celine Dion, Jennifer Lopez and many more. The golden ears these gentleman possess and their input on what my original amps should be was priceless. If anyone knows what makes a great guitar tone, it's these guys. They will be my beta-testers for the prototypes as well. The prototype Mercury Magnetics transformers that I designed for these amps with Patrick and Sergio on my visit are due in today, so I feel a bit like a kid at Christmas today.

Regarding the RM100 upgrades, they are $450 plus shipping and have to be done in my shop. It involved replacing multiple PCB's within your amp and there is no way to test the code on the MIDI chip until I install it and test it. If there are any coding errors I need to work with Bruce to fix it. There is potential for a HUGE headache should I need to address that remotely. If you are interested in having your amp upgraded email me. Please do not PM me here, as I rarely visit or check them.

All the best,
Rob
nitrous12
RM100

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob, what is the status of the donor modules? I notice the site still show price with donor.
Jaded Faith

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not currently selling any of my stock until all of the MTS amps I have are liquidated. I need to hold on to what I have left to make sure I can load the amps if need be.

You are correct that I have not updated the website and still need to. MTS sales are generally very slow and most of my efforts have been elsewhere. It's just a matter of finding enough spare time to get around to updating it. Sorry for any inconvenience or confusion it may have caused.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTS Forum Forum Index -> Jaded Faith Mods All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: