• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Synergy/MTS Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB - JF STEP Pedal or Egnater 'Loop Gadget' or the like

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corium_AZ

Reaction score
Looking for a JF STEP pedal, Egnater 'Loop Gadget', or the like. I recently grabbed an Ebtech Line Level Converter, but it still results in the clipping of my Eventide H9, and results in the attenuation of the return signal. I'd like to be able to keep my module & master levels the same as they were preceding the use of the FX loop, and the titled are the only devices that I know of that can do this. Let me know what y'all have, if anything (long shot, I know).

I have an extra Loop Gadget somewhere in the sea of moving boxes/Rubbermaids in my basement. Shall I commence digging? :lol:

drewiv said:
I have an extra Loop Gadget somewhere in the sea of moving boxes/Rubbermaids in my basement. Shall I commence digging? :lol:

Let me know your price, and I'll let you know, lol.

But, yes, please do!

I just ordered an ebtech. I wish I had noticed this thread before I ordered it. Does the ebtech work with your other effects? :?:

I could probably build something for a lot less $$ (no frill's just 2 in/out) but I feel like I'm running out of time (sometimes) and didn't want to spend the needed time to build it. $150 seems like a lot to me for the JF. I mean.... I can guess what's in the box. :? Things that make ya go hmmm LoL

suphuckers said:
I just ordered an ebtech. I wish I had noticed this thread before I ordered it. Does the ebtech work with your other effects? :?:

I used the Ebtech with a TC G-System and a MOD50 and it made the loop usable. There was slight high end roll off and maybe less dynamic feel. The Egnater Loop Gadget was much better tone wise but there was still something in the feel that changes.

suphuckers said:
$150 seems like a lot to me for the JF. I mean.... I can guess what's in the box. :? Things that make ya go hmmm LoL
The STEP took about 6 hours to assemble in its original version hence the cost. It has been discontinued until a newly designed PCB is ready which will speed up assembly considerably. Once this happens, a version 2 STEP will be released at a lower cost.
Edit: FWIW, the cost was on par with other active devices available for this usage.

yeah, it's all the stuff in the feel that's lost that always gets in the way. Thanks for depressing me about my purchase LoL If this doesn't work out I'll probably build one myself. I was thinking when I was debating the purchase, there has to be freq's that are lost in translation of that ebtech device. sucky.

Marco is 100% correct in his statement. What you were paying $150 for was a combination of my knowledge, experience, parts, time and confidence in a proven product that works from a company with a reputation who stands behind their work.

While I can certainly appreciate the spirit of DIY, there are always those who minimize gear to being worth nothing more than the cost of the components. As Marco stated, it required 5 hours of my labor from start to finish to make an original STEP pedal and it was completely hand-built. Including the finish. I charge $60 an hour shop rate all day, every day with a line of gear in my shop queue year round. You do the math. I think $150 was a bargain for what I put into it given the value of my time. It was priced competitively with other comparable products and discontinued because it didn't make financial sense in my business plan.

Also as an FYI, the Ebtech is a passive unit that uses step-down and step-up transformers to reduce the signal voltage. In my testing, I found a KH-1 module fully driven could provide a signal about 10V higher than what the Ebtech could account for to make pedals like a ISP Decimator happy. While it would work fine for most pedals, some are extremely sensitive to being over-driven. As for tone, you are subjected to the sound quality of their transformers. It's a personal thing as to how you feel about that. It bothers some, others not at all.

Hope that helps.

Hey, didn't mean to ruffle any feathers ;) I'm just saying for "me", someone who can make it himself, $150 seemed like a lot. That being said... Notice the reason I'm not making one right off the bat. "It'll take too much time" ;) I get all that. I'd also probably be buying one from you after I see that this ebtech dealio steals too much of my tone. ...but since you're not making them anymore, I'm sure I'll be building my own. All of that stuff that you just said is exactly why I'm not making/selling pedals (or guitars). Nobody wants to pay $XX for stuff really, and it takes so much work... I don't feel like doing it for less. I get it. I'm just saying for me personally, I guess I'm gonna have to break down and invest the needed time to build one. Unfortunately.... I mean maybe I can modify the ebtech if I can see a way to make it better. The pedals I'm using aren't extremely sensitive. I have a few that are just a tiny bit overdriven. I placed a rack effect in front of them and attenuated the input a little and it pretty much fixed the majority of my problems, but I want a more permanent less bulky better solution. Anyways... sorry if my post offended you or w/e.