The best sounding MTS rig?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mattfig said:
Is it RM100/M100? RM50? RM4 w/ X PowerAmp? Something else?

For me, I lean toward the RM100 with mixed power tubes...

RM100 w/KT88 and EL34 combo is my preference of all of the MTS set ups I've played. (RM50/RM20/RM4 w/Mesa 90/90) Of course, I havent played any Egnater Mod 50/100s and I'd bet those sound great.

Mattfig said:
Is it RM100/M100? RM50? RM4 w/ X PowerAmp? Something else?

I think it's unquestionable that it's an M4 (RM4) power by a VHT 2|90|2. It was hands down, not even in the ballpark, the best MTS rig I had ever owned. Period.

/thread

For the RM100 comments, it that stock or are we talking patch cable in the fx loop, with a MDA/Foglifter and a Mercury Magnetics transformer?

I run my RM100 with a patch cable/Effects knob at noon, Foglifter and a KT88-6L6 pairing into a 412 KHX. It's best, bro. Hahaha

Jacksauce said:
For the RM100 comments, it that stock or are we talking patch cable in the fx loop, with a MDA/Foglifter and a Mercury Magnetics transformer?

OK, I'll say that fx loop patched, MDA, and KT77s mixed with 6CA7s...

The Mercuries did little for me when I had them to be honest....I'd be curious to try others as it was a slight improvement, just not near the cost to me...

Mattfig said:
Jacksauce said:

The Mercuries did little for me when I had them to be honest....I'd be curious to try others as it was a slight improvement, just not near the cost to me...

Since I now own that amp, gotta say they are not much of a difference with the stock RM100LB....now the Salvation MDA board on the other hand \m/ :twisted: \m/

I'm still running the 6CA7s in it with the Parallel Loop Patch.

To be honest, I've only ever tried RM100's. But, I've rolled a lot of tubes & tweaks through them. For me, the ticket is; 5751 tube in the PI slot (JAN GE for me), tung sol 12AX7 in the input tube slot, jumpered parallel loop w/level at about 2 o'clock, 2xMesa 6L6's (I think relabeled JJ's?), and 2x SED Winged C EL34's. And, JJ 12AX7's in all of the mods. I love it!

BTW - What's the big deal with the VHT power amps? Can someone explain what it is about them that y'all dig so much? I mean, I've never been impressed at all by VHT/Freyette amps (sound like fizzy messes to me). So, just curious why all the love?

Corium_AZ said:
To be honest, I've only ever tried RM100's. But, I've rolled a lot of tubes & tweaks through them. For me, the ticket is; 5751 tube in the PI slot (JAN GE for me), tung sol 12AX7 in the input tube slot, jumpered parallel loop w/level at about 2 o'clock, 2xMesa 6L6's (I think relabeled JJ's?), and 2x SED Winged C EL34's. And, JJ 12AX7's in all of the mods. I love it!

BTW - What's the big deal with the VHT power amps? Can someone explain what it is about them that y'all dig so much? I mean, I've never been impressed at all by VHT/Freyette amps (sound like fizzy messes to me). So, just curious why all the love?

What amps did you hear that were fizzy? Not my favorite tones but they are definitely a quality rig- I've heard killer tones coming from Pitbulls and a Sig X- As far as power amps- I have to agree with Drew- Probably the "biggest" sounds "ive heard from a rack power amp was a VHT- Previous guitarist had a VHT 2/90/2 paired up with a Triaxis. Sounded huge- I think it had KT88's in it? (Its been awhile) Didnt matter what that rig was up against, it always seemed like his had more "thump" and volume than anything else.

JKD said:
Mattfig said:
Jacksauce said:

Since I now own that amp, gotta say they are not much of a difference with the stock RM100LB....now the Salvation MDA board on the other hand \m/ :twisted: \m/

I'm still running the 6CA7s in it with the Parallel Loop Patch.

Have to agree guys. I'm running fx loop patched, MDA, and 6CA7s. Haven't experimented with tubes in the amp much surprisingly. Tubes in modules much more. My peeves about the RM100 are the inability to scale back the power section and the weight.