Bogner Ecstacy Blue pedal VS XTC mod?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

withmittens

Reaction score
has anyone had both of these things? can anyone tell me which one sounds best? I mean i can imagine the mod would, but who knows

Here is a nice demo link for the pedal:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EcstasyBlue

I feel the SG XTC LE I bought from Scott a few years back is more versatile, and sounds better (based on the Sweetater demo.) but you might want to stop at a guitar center, if one is convenient to try it in person.

Of course I have to admit I play with the gain quite a bit and think the mod delivers incredibly at low, mid and high gain. It's one I don't expect to sell.

withmittens said:
has anyone had both of these things? can anyone tell me which one sounds best? I mean i can imagine the mod would, but who knows

No comparison in my opinion...The SG XTC (and the Salvo for the same reasons) kill this pedal. I tried one (Blue) and found it to be kind of thin and sterile compared to the mods. I'd probably take the stock XTC over one of these...Just my opinion.

rblyn said:
withmittens said:

No comparison in my opinion...The SG XTC (and the Salvo for the same reasons) kill this pedal. I tried one (Blue) and found it to be kind of thin and sterile compared to the mods. I'd probably take the stock XTC over one of these...Just my opinion.

Wanted to add to this...I can see using it as an additional overdrive/boost type pedal...The application I am referring to is cranked in front of an amp as your preamp. Yeah, kind of cool at low volumes....but crank it up live volume against one of these mods and you would see what Im talking about.

some of the demos sound like the pedal is very amp like in it's gain and perceived heft. I've always loved the blue channel sound in that it is very plexi but can also do more gain but stay in the plexi camp, more gain keeping the clarity and punch, organics, etc...

was never sure if I would devote a slot to a Bogner sound, the pedals can be has used for reduced prices. Naturally I imagined the Mod would be better because it is an actual preamp, but the pedal....could it be used in front of a Deluxe mod, The Deluxe being a full sounding base...?

I have the Bogner Blue pedal and really just use it as a tone shaper. With the boost function off it has hardly any breakup at all, but with the boost function on -- even at the lowest possible settings -- it has more than I care for. So I mainly use it like a Wampler Paisley pedal (which I also own), for adding a bit of sparkle and grit to my clean sounds.

ah, that's too bad. I mean a good boost with tone shaping is a good thing but too bad it doesn't deliver the Blue channel for you. I guess I've yet to find an 'amp in a box' pedal that does what it advertises.

The question then is, which XTC mod delivers the goods the best? focusing on the Blue channel here.

withmittens said:
ah, that's too bad. I mean a good boost with tone shaping is a good thing but too bad it doesn't deliver the Blue channel for you. I guess I've yet to find an 'amp in a box' pedal that does what it advertises.

The question then is, which XTC mod delivers the goods the best? focusing on the Blue channel here.

Sacred Groove hands down.....Nothing like hearing it in person but there is a recent video of the blue channel of the SGX, his latest version. Search the forums for Sacred Groove XTC and you'll find a lot of people who've owned this mod absolutely love it. More than one claim its their all time favorite. Scott's version is a very brown, and very organic sounding as well. A close second was my old "original" version Salvation with the Shiver option.

Just want to thrown in here and say.... I absolutely don't like any Bogner stuff. Be it the real deal or those pedals or w/e. Its so bad that I gave my XTC Mod away HaHa. That being said, I really like the sound of that SGX. I'm not sure what that means tho ;) LoL

suphuckers said:
Just want to thrown in here and say.... I absolutely don't like any Bogner stuff. Be it the real deal or those pedals or w/e. Its so bad that I gave my XTC Mod away HaHa. That being said, I really like the sound of that SGX. I'm not sure what that means tho ;) LoL

Do you like Steve Lukather's tone these days?

suphuckers said:
I like his playing, but no I don't particularly like his tone/sound. It has some bells but otherwise I wish he'd use a dif amp LoL It's very noisy. I don't care much for noisy overtones. If someone else likes it that's fine.. To each his own.

I haven't heard him live but have a guitarist friend (played in Helix for a bit) who just saw Lukather the other night and he said it was the best tone he's ever heard from anyone. I wish I made it to the show.

Well when you posed the question I went and listened to several videos, (and I tried to find new current stuff). He seems to have quite a lot of bells in his tone (Which are nice), but... Well I don't want to debate it. I would certainly enjoy the show, but if you handed me his gear I'd have to pass ;)

suphuckers said:
Well when you posed the question I went and listened to several videos, (and I tried to find new current stuff). He seems to have quite a lot of bells in his tone (Which are nice), but... Well I don't want to debate it. I would certainly enjoy the show, but if you handed me his gear I'd have to pass ;)

I get that and I'm guessing you saw this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouPa5swr610

yup ;)

EDIT: ...and I dont wanna hijack this thread, but check out this guy (...and I'm not saying he's the best or that even his tone is the best. In fact I'm not real big on Marshalls I think that's what he uses either BUT....) Check out the clarity in this guys tone compared to Steve's tone. It's quite a contrast. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxnTEEDtSFg

Yes it is. :)

...and I think my mk22 will get me something very close to that tone/clarity.

If you are not a marshall guy, what are you?

I think we hijacked this thread. sorry.

That's marshall alright, but that tone is a lot more than marshall... those are low output strat pickups. Any good marshall mod will get you there: JF 59RR, SG Mk22 (not sure about the cleaner parts), Salvo Mashall+.

I think vintage Marshall tones are untouchable...

JD said:
Yes it is. :)

...and I think my mk22 will get me something very close to that tone/clarity.

If you are not a marshall guy, what are you?

I think we hijacked this thread. sorry.