JF Silverado Demo Preview

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarcoR

Reaction score
I really wanted to wait till this was finished (still need to do the actual demo part) but I couldn't resist posting. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KghDaWxZIYE

Recorded in Sonar X3 with a Focusrite Safire Pro 24 DSP.

All JF Silverado (even the clean part) .

M4 with VHT 2/50/2 poweramp.

Left rhythm guitar is dual humbucker Strat with MCP Afwayus, WGS Veteran 30s with an SM57.

Right rhythm guitar is Fat apple Strat with Suhr DHS+ pickup in bridge, Scumback M75s and Sennheiser e609.

Left and right rhythm guitars are dry, lead has a little slap delay and clean breakdown has pingpong delay. No eq or compression but mastering limiter on the overall mix.

I?m still learning my new music room so the mix could likely be improved.

Let me know what you think!

Wow! Your playing is always awesome...and yeah, the mod sounds great as well. Nicely done sir.

Ripping! Nice marshall tone, how do you compare the silverado to the splawn mod? How is the mod set for cleans? How does it respond to the pick attack and guitar volume?

Great to see real guitar playing and tasteful music.

JayDA said:
Wow! Your playing is always awesome...and yeah, the mod sounds great as well. Nicely done sir.
Thanks man, I appreciate that!

suphuckers said:
Nice MarcoR. I especially like that reverberation you have going on there around 1:10. Very Nice. ;)
Thanks suphuckers!

suphuckers said:
Marco, Wanna tell me/us a little more about your rig? What's going on there with your effects? All software?

I run a stereo rig but only used one side for each of the two rhythm tracks which were recorded dry. The intention was to capture the difference between the two guitars used and the different speaker/mic combinations. My left cab is a Port City with WGS Veteran 30s and the right cab is an Egnater TM212 with Scumback M75s.

The clean part with the reverberation you commented on was the both cabs recorded in stereo (how I usually run my rig). The delay was an Eventide Timefactor and the reverb was a room preset from an Eventide Space. Most of the effect was the Timefactor though. I thought the Silverado got a great clean tone for that part.

I recorded the lead in stereo as well but found some phasing issues if they weren?t panned full left and right so I opted to just use the track with the Scumback/e906 combination. I used a touch of the Sonitus (sp?) delay in Sonar to add some spatial stereo-ness back to the mix.

Ok Marco, you can no longer post videos. Lol
Your playing is so natural and tight it depresses me and I don't even notice what mod you are playing. Lol

mfgobbi said:
Ripping! Nice marshall tone, how do you compare the silverado to the splawn mod? How is the mod set for cleans? How does it respond to the pick attack and guitar volume?

Great to see real guitar playing and tasteful music.

Thanks for the kind words!

I use a dual QuickMod that has been tweaked a few time by Rob to suite my tastes but compared to what I remember it sounding like when it was at GT specs, the QuickMod is deeper, scooped and smoother with more gain. The Silverado is more pissed off and less polite which I like. I don?t care for the ?Rhythm Clip? switch as it becomes more compressed. Without it engaged, there is a nice open sound to it.

It responds very well to the volume rolled off on the guitar and you can hear that in the breakdown part of the song; the gains were maxed for the solo but rolling the guitar volume back provided a sweet dynamic tone.

For cleans, the Lead master switch is off and the gain is about 11:00 with the master volume around 3:00.

JD said:
Ok Marco, you can no longer post videos. Lol
Your playing is so natural and tight it depresses me and I don't even notice what mod you are playing. Lol

You crack me up! :lol:

I've said it before my friend and I'll say it again, your playing is among my favorite. Feel free to come by the shop anytime and play for me again.

Very cool! I definitely am thinking to get a Silverado for my cosmetically changed un modded module.

withmittens said:
curious to know where the gain was set for this song.

great sounding, very nice work

Thanks! The main riff rhythm tracks had the gain at about 2:30 and the "Lead Master" at about 1:00. The solo through out the song had both the gain and "Lead Master" dimed. It's a vintage Marshall tone for sure with a nice bite. Not over the top gain at all but plenty of tone.

Great job! good playing and video editing too. I enjoyed that.

So a question about the compression. I tend to not think i need it either but it does tend to help bring up the overall volume of a track when you try to make it listen friendly. Is the limiter you use doing the same thing? The difference being that you just applied it to the whole track and bumped the whole track rather than individual parts?

Kapo_Polenton said:
Great job! good playing and video editing too. I enjoyed that.

So a question about the compression. I tend to not think i need it either but it does tend to help bring up the overall volume of a track when you try to make it listen friendly. Is the limiter you use doing the same thing? The difference being that you just applied it to the whole track and bumped the whole track rather than individual parts?

Pretty much. I'm using the UAD Precision Limiter as my cheap and easy home mastering solution. I set the maximum output to be 0db or a hair under and you can push the input up as much as you need to get the loudness as close to commercial as you can. I REALLY HATE over compressed mixes and try to leave the dynamics as much as possible. I think when doing these demos it?s critical to keep it natural and not over juice the mix.