What's are your favorite Modules?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not a ton of traffic on this board and the crickets sometimes get going pretty good.

Anyway....

My top 3 are:
1. JF SL-OD100 - Great big open grind and it just rocks!
2. JF Voxless - I like the range of tones and how it sounds with just light grit to a decent amount of gain.
3. Tough to put one here, but if I had to...right now I would put in the JF Silverado. Of the Marshall based mods I get along with it most consistently. I like its aggressive growl.

I really liked my JF XTC SE too. Probably the most versatile mod I have tried in terms of a very usable clean to go along with very nice mid and high gain tones. SE adds the mid sweep, which I found as a must on this one. Sorry I let it go and will likely get another at some point.

For me it's my MK22 in the middle position of my RM100. It's perfect...killed all my GAS for that 70's early 80's Marshall tone.

On the right side I have the SG Bully. I love it for taking me in to more of a hot rodded Marshall tone. Sometimes I swap it out for my JF Slo.

On the left side I have my JF Super Clean. A great clean that can do a lot. Sometimes doing a lot for me doesn't work though as I think I should get something more simple for my clean.

There has been only one module that I have kept since I went MTS in 2006 and that's the Egnater Bman. I also like the Egnater SL2X and EG3/4 and consider them the base to which all other modules (Marshall) are measured against.

At the moment (for the first time ever) the Bman is out of the #1 slot and that is held by a custom dual JF Vibe Deluxe that I'm loving. Channel A on both the Bman and Vibe Deluxe are very comparable but the B channel on the Vibe Deluxe hit with a Tube Screamer type pedal (I use the Timmy) is blissful.

I have a love/hate relationship with my Custom Dual QuickMod but I don?t see me getting rid of it anytime soon. It?s a bit of an accident and I don?t think it could be re-created exactly.

I think this question has been asked in the past. however, the interesting thing is how much my answer changes over the years. The reason I have an MTS rig is because I don't have to have a favorite 3 or 4 modules.
I have an RM4 in my live rig and lately it is this:
1) JF Base modded deluxe
2) JF 59RR
3) JF SLO-100
4) Either Salvation Buddy or JF VoxLess

In my studio my RM4 changes depending on the project.

I always have some form of Fender in the first Slot and usually a Marshall in the 2nd bay of either rig.

Well.....

I have had dozens of mods over the last 18 months or so I have been into MTS. To me they all sound roughly the same to the point I think I am going to abandon MTS and buy an amp I can dial into the "me" sound. There is a lot riding on the Camerock scheduled to arrive today. So yeah I think I have owned most Lynch mods, a lot of JF, Gigamods and Voodoo and a bunch of other stock mods.

So right now today as of this writing.....

1. Gigamods 1087
2. Voodoo Jose UG
3. Voodoo GTO/Judge
4. SuperV

-Charlie

The whole point of MTS is not to have one favorite tone :)

I go with favorite 3 for today (and no I can't put them in favorite order):

Salvation MarkUS
Salvation Camerock
Salvation Salvado Deluxe

Honorable mention to JF ERect for that Recto goodness.

...and I just bought an M4 so I can have more modules plugged in, sigh...back to the big rig again! :twisted:

Chas, I do not own any of the Mods that you have, but I can assure you that my Marshall mods are nothing like my Fender mods. I have a Fender Deluxe, Tweed, Vybe/Deluxe and Twin mods with the Deluxe and Tweed base modded. They have similarities, like my real Fenders, but I love the subtle difference in tone on even those. My RVerb is very distinct from the Marshalls and I have a couple of Custom mods like my Gibson GA50 or the VAI clean channel which is a different clean from the Fenders or VoxLess cleans.

Part of why I asked this question was what chas is saying there but... I have a dumble mod that sounds like nothing else I have or have heard. its not a complicated mod but they dont have to be "all the same" That being said I want to avoid some of the overlap. hopefully some of these replies will help ;)

suphuckers said:
Part of why I asked this question was what chas is saying there but... I have a dumble mod that sounds like nothing else I have or have heard. its not a complicated mod but they dont have to be "all the same" That being said I want to avoid some of the overlap. hopefully some of these replies will help ;)

Overlap is almost inevitable to a degree...Unless you limit to x number of mods...Which some claim to attempt to adhere to...Not I though...

My faves are these:

1. Salvation Mandarine Graphic OR - My fave mod since I first played one a year or so ago...Now I use mine all the time...

2. MotorCity Mods Clean - This is the "mystery clean" and it's a fave because it's everything I ever wanted in a simple clean module...Tone for days...

3. Salvation Masholdano Fig - And I have yet to play it! It is a massive combination of my favorite tones from Salvation in one custom mod...All the Masholdano features plus more! It is en route...

Well I get that it's unavoidable, because there is a lot of overlap in the amps that these Modules are emulating. (...and several of them are emulating the same amps)

I'm just trying to limit the number of Modules I end up with that are sitting on the shelf heh ...and I figure looking at everyone's top 3 will definitely help that.

Thanks, and keep em coming!

Edited... Because I'm just Rambling ;)

Well, since I only own three modules at any given time, as I'm a bit of a utilitarian in this sense - if I cannot switch it on the fly whilst playing live, I really have no true use for it. If I need more variety for recording, the studios we record with have mountains of awesome gear. So, my current 3 are, by default, my favorites, so far at-least, lol:

1) JF Vybe Deluxe - I can't imagine a 'clean' to lo-gainy module that could suit me or my playing better. Awesome mod, and very versatile.

2) Salvo Mash-All - I use this only in the Plexi mode, and hit it with a Klon-type OD out front - awesome, warm, mid gain/crunch all day.

3) JF Cutom Blackout - A modded Erect - has some more mids and more aggressive character. Love this mod for high gain stuff!

I've rolled through a whole bunch of mods, and settled on these for the time being. My previous favorites included my prized JF R'Verb and SL-OD100. Both great modules. I also loved the JF XTC SE that I had for a bit - just had too much overlap with what I had at the time.

I have a SG MK22 on the way though, so hopefully it'll unseat that Mash-All!

SG mk22 - This one is tuned just right for classic Marshall tone. If I could have only have one mod - this would be it.

Jf 59RR custom - Lot of tones from this one - The hot rod JCM mode moves me.

Grail - Metallica Black Album in a box. nuff said

NEVER OWNED A SALVATION MOD! It hurts to say that. A Salvado deluxe would take the pain away.

I am somewhat of a Fender Snob. I don't think a lot of people would apppreciate the nuances of five different Fender amps, whether the real deal or modded. At the same time some of you talk about the nuaces of different Marshall style mods that I probably would not hear. I have a Base Mod Plexi and a 59RR and that is Marshall enough for me. But I do appreciate that some of you know the nuances of high gain tones better than I do.

1. JF MarkX
2. JF 59RR
3. Stock 1086
I also second JKD with an honorable mention to the JF Erect..

Corium_AZ said:
Welcome to the sickness, lol!

The thing is... I'm 100% sure that if I could walk in a room with all these modules lined up for me to test, I could find the ones I want pretty easily. I usually know what I like in just a few minutes. There's nothing worse than buying a module, and then when it gets here, playing it and thinking... meh its OK ...and then it's... OK so now what do I try? I really don't want to go down that road.

I mean, I guess part of the point of the MTS is so you CAN have Modules laying around to swap. I just want to keep it to a reasonable minimum. ;)

I mean, I guess part of the point of the MTS is so you CAN have Modules laying around to swap. I just want to keep it to a reasonable minimum. ;)[/quote]

I think keeping 25+ modules around is reasonable.