We can do better ***Rant***

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarcoR

Reaction score
I realize buying used you?re taking a chance? it?s a gamble.
But people really irk me when they make minimal effort to carefully package an item and furthermore, failing to disclose possible points of concern with that item.

I?ve been mostly lucky in my dealings and the few times when items arrived damaged, the seller had been easy to work with. It?s just that I go out of my way to carefully package anything I send and fully disclose and possible issues that may be observed from the buyer.

I realize people would like to get most of the money they put into something back when possible but I think with modules, it?s a little ridiculous.

I propose this rule:

A brand new module from a modder with a couple hours use ? resale price: knock off 10 bucks and eat the shipping. You?re cool if you do that. If you want all your money back, just acknowledge that in your post; say ?I would like to get all the money I put into this back because I am a cheap f#ck?.

A used module in great shape - resale price: knock off 20-40 bucks and eat the shipping.

A used module that shows some wear - resale price: knock off 40-80 bucks and eat the shipping.

You get the idea?

An expensive module (because the modder rarely does mods and they are very desirable and seldom become available) should not be more expensive than it originally was (Donor + modification + shipping), especially when it has changed owners 5 times, may have had additional mods and is in worn condition.

In the sellers defense (I always see both sides), they may not have known how many times the module changed hands or that it had also been modified by someone other than the ?Good? modder.

Perhaps, just like me, they lost the gamble. My gripe is passing on their loss to the next guy and perpetuating this inflated market.

I?m not complaining to the seller, I don?t even see what they would do to make it right. I would probably not even complain about it now had the module been packaged better and the right side of the faceplate wasn?t bent on arrival. Or that just about every knob fit so loosely that they come off in your hand when you turn them. Hey, I paid for the name and I knew it. And if and when I resell it, I will disclose what I know about it and knock off $80, eat the shipping, package it great and when the new owner gets it, the knobs will not fall off anymore.

Sorry for my rant and thank you for your time.

Oh My F#cking God...
Here is the module I paid $450 last week for being sold for $300 back in 2010.

http://mtsforum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=11440&highlight=hbe

This is my point exactly!

Crap.. even if I knocked $80 off and ate the shipping it would still be more than it sold for then!!!

Forget everything I said in my last post; in 6 months it will be in the classifieds for $600. That's fair right?

Lol... I know this a rant and all, but...

Hate to tell you, but this is basic economics. Supply and demand. Folks dont pay a dime more for something than they are willing to, nor do sellers sell for a dime lower than they are willing to - unless there is some coercion of some sort of course.

For instance - the SG Afterlife. I've seen the fervor over these things in the past, and the huge sums spent on them. Clearly, these are in very high demand, and in very low supply (well, until Motorcity came around). So, the price reflects this. Prices are dictated by markets. So unless there is someone forcing folks to buy/sell at fixed prices (ala USSR, lol), mods will sell for whatever price the highest bidder is willing to pay.

BTW - Mods regularly sell on eBay for a good clip more than on this forum. eBay is as truly free-market as you can get. So, what we have here on the forum, is typically a great deal!

Completely agree with the bum seller comments...

Corium_AZ said:

Hate to tell you, but this is basic economics. Supply and demand. Folks dont pay a dime more for something than they are willing to, nor do sellers sell for a dime lower than they are willing to - unless there is some coercion of some sort of course.

For instance - the SG Afterlife. I've seen the fervor over these things in the past, and the huge sums spent on them. Clearly, these are in very high demand, and in very low supply (well, until Motorcity came around). So, the price reflects this. Prices are dictated by markets. So unless there is someone forcing folks to buy/sell at fixed prices (ala USSR, lol), mods will sell for whatever price the highest bidder is willing to pay.

BTW - Mods regularly sell on eBay for a good clip more than on this forum. eBay is as truly free-market as you can get. So, what we have here on the forum, is typically a great deal!

Oh you're completely right; I don't deny that's the case.

In my perfect world, I would like to see a certain modder who is intimately familiar with everyone?s mods and who has moved on to bigger and better things make every flippn? mod available to the public in spreadsheets with component values and locations TO DESTROY the market! NO MORE SOUP FOR YOU! :twisted:

(Not you personally Corium_AZ but those getting rich on greed)
:lol:

Corium_AZ said:

******...you own that module now? How'd you like it? I've been trying to locate that module all year and buy it back...LOL

Couldn't give that thing away...well, actually did give it away...ate $100 on it :-(

It's all about supply and demand I guess.

JKD said:
******...you own that module now? How'd you like it? I've been trying to locate that module fall year and buy it back...LOL

Couldn't give that thing away...well, actually did give it away...ate $100 on it :-(

It's all about supply and demand I guess.

I would happily sell it back to you :D

It sounds like a good Marshall module but a little noisier than the others I have. It?s one that is nothing special on its own but sounds good in a mix and cuts well. I'll deal...

MarcoR said:
Corium_AZ said:

Oh you're completely right; I don't deny that's the case.

In my perfect world, I would like to see a certain modder who is intimately familiar with everyone?s mods and who has moved on to bigger and better things make every flippn? mod available to the public in spreadsheets with component values and locations TO DESTROY the market! NO MORE SOUP FOR YOU! :twisted:

(Not you personally Corium_AZ but those getting rich on greed)
:lol:

You ever think of getting that bike out for a trail ride this afternoon? just sayin...lol

MarcoR said:
JD said:
MarcoR said:
You ever think of getting that bike out for a trail ride this afternoon? just sayin...lol

Would love too... I was just being overly dramatic. Too much coffee this morning. :oops:

it was a fun read...and I actually agree with your proposal...in a perfect world.

I get how you feel. It's like anything though, value will be up and down depending on how desirable an item is and how available it is. Example. Brand new mod is out, everyone has GAS for it. I put $500 into it. A week later I can sell it for close to that price. A year later there's one for sale every week on the classifieds add/or everyone has one, the resale is significantly less. At least it's not a car.

Jacksauce said:
I get how you feel. It's like anything though, value will be up and down depending on how desirable an item is and how available it is. Example. Brand new mod is out, everyone has GAS for it. I put $500 into it. A week later I can sell it for close to that price. A year later there's one for sale every week on the classifieds add/or everyone has one, the resale is significantly less. At least it's not a car.

Ha! I would love the used module market if it was like a car!

I'm just kicking myself because I've been really good about not going crazy buying modules left and right. But I really thought I wanted an HBE.

The best experience I've had was going to Rob's shop and actually playing every module and realizing I didn?t want anything I thought I would. I ended having him build me something that was missing in my tonal pallet and it became my most satisfying purchase.

I concur with the packaging issue. How hard is it to double box a module with shock absorbency/foam etc in between?! Wouldn't want to buy a guitar from guys with such packaging habits..

blacksun said:
I concur with the packaging issue. How hard is it to double box a module with shock absorbency/foam etc in between?!
Wouldn't want to buy a guitar from guys with such packaging habits..

I feel you. I refuse to ship guitars anymore just for that reason. They are hard to pack, and if you have shipping world or whatever do it for you it costs a fortune.

It is also becoming common for the the buyer to not like the guitar, break something on it, say you packaged it poorly and send it back for a refund. It's dangerous out there.

I have been a little frustrated with that "looking to get what I paid" type of thing from sellers too. But it's their choice to do so. If they sell, good for them. I just wait for their price to come down to what I am willing to pay and keep my fingers crossed that it happens. Otherwise, I just wait.

scary groove said:
I have been a little frustrated with that "looking to get what I paid" type of thing from sellers too. But it's their choice to do so. If they sell, good for them. I just wait for their price to come down to what I am willing to pay and keep my fingers crossed that it happens. Otherwise, I just wait.

Speaking of deals...I think you still have "what used to be my" all white Salvado? ****, I regret selling that one! How's it treating you?

hi only my second post but this thread really hit a home run I just received
a Malcolm module,used that worked fine for five minutes, I paid $225 bucks
for a five minute review,no refund can,t send it back to seller so who here
knows where the F^#cK I can send it to be repaired ? please !!!!!!!!!!

Hey man if you got this one off ebay item 171492920329 you should be able to get your $$ back regardless of sellers return policy. eBay is all about the buyer not the seller. Open a complaint. Good luck regardless.

LEACH said:

Have you tried swapping the tubes for a known good pair?

If you can't get it working, Rob can fix you up. Contact: [email protected]

LEACH said:

File a claim with the shipping company, contact Paypal or your credit card company and leave a negative rating for the seller.

2nd handprices: 50% new value. Shipping for the buyer.

E.g.
2nd hand XTC module: 110$. couple of hours for modding + 50$ max

Modded modules should not costs more than 170$. I am still amazed by the ridiculus pricing of modded modules. I sure am never gonna buy one.