One Maggie seems to have been purchased.....?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is I

The best way I can describe the module is "Chewy" I have it in a RM 50 with 6v6s and the Foglifter. Comparing it to the Supro I have next to it; The Maggie more midrange and I think my feeling is not for the cleaner sounds.
I need to figure out the vibrato, it only seems to be heard when both knobs are above 12:00; the other issue is that it feedsback at a high pitch with the "loudness" past 11 with humbuckers. Can the tubes or a tube be microphonic?

Overall impression, like the chewiness and definite vintage vibe to it, it might need a little tweaking of the something to stop the high pitch feedback; It is a unique sound that I like; I am glad that there is a more "vintage" sounding module. I have the brits covered (H watt/Mandarine/matchvox and VX/All flavors of Marshall and Modded sounds ie Friedmans) American gain of Soldano/Mashdolano and 3 types of Bogners and a twinface. So unique vintage amps or some boutiques would be my next purchase. I was hopping for a Matchless Clubman/Chieftan next

hmic10 said:
It is I

The best way I can describe the module is "Chewy" I have it in a RM 50 with 6v6s and the Foglifter. Comparing it to the Supro I have next to it; The Maggie more midrange and I think my feeling is not for the cleaner sounds.
I need to figure out the vibrato, it only seems to be heard when both knobs are above 12:00; the other issue is that it feedsback at a high pitch with the "loudness" past 11 with humbuckers. Can the tubes or a tube be microphonic?

Overall impression, like the chewiness and definite vintage vibe to it, it might need a little tweaking of the something to stop the high pitch feedback; It is a unique sound that I like; I am glad that there is a more "vintage" sounding module. I have the brits covered (H watt/Mandarine/matchvox and VX/All flavors of Marshall and Modded sounds ie Friedmans) American gain of Soldano/Mashdolano and 3 types of Bogners and a twinface. So unique vintage amps or some boutiques would be my next purchase. I was hopping for a Matchless Clubman/Chieftan next

Glad you got it safely and dig the chew. Good term!

Anyway, there is an internal trim pot that can be adjusted easily to address the loudness...Just mark where you begin for reference....
The vibrato is subtle below noon but there...It becomes much more identifiable past noon...
Also, the vibrato is designed so that it is heard more when notes ring out than when simply playing...It takes some getting used to as this mod is quite an oddball at first...
If we can be of any help, please let us know! Thanks!

Edited to add: Our tubes are warrantied as our the modules so we'll take care of any and all issues!

thanks for that info. I may pm you about it if that would be alright. sounds like a very interesting mod. can;t decide between Supro, Twinface and Maggie

withmittens said:
thanks for that info. I may pm you about it if that would be alright. sounds like a very interesting mod. can;t decide between Supro, Twinface and Maggie

withmittens, (not to highjack this thread but...) wanted to throw in here. I was on the fence about a twinface. I was considering other modules, but after getting it.... omg. I mean, sure... I still want those other modules (supra is on my list too), but it would be sad if I never got this twinface

withmittens said:
**** you. I mean, thanks

I mean I guess this isn't really hijacking this thread. It's your thread, and you started it because you're trying to make a decision... but... The Twinface is pretty bland with all the switches off. It has that mojo switch tho. It kinda makes it sound like an old fender that's really HOT. Then the pushed switch really kicks in the OD. When you turn on the mojo and put it in DLX mode... Wow... I love old DLX's... Anyways, You won't hate yourself if you buy one ;) I've listened to clips of all 3 of those modules, and like I said... The Supra is still on my list (I even discussed buying one with Matt, ask him) The Maggie looks interesting, but more of a gimmick (or fun toy), and the Supra is a one trick pony (Even tho they might both be really nice/fun/interesting modules) That Twinface tho.... Just sayin' LoL

withmittens, the clips on the Twinface that exist are pretty lame. The module itself is about 20x better than it seems like it is in those clips. If I knew how to play guitar I'd make one ;) Maybe I'll make a clip some time. I'll have to learn some actual notes to play tho... I'll think about it. If I don't, someone should, that's for sure.

Edit: The best example of the actual module that I think I heard is the "intro" part of the video on Salvation's site. That video that follows doesn't do it justice at all. ...and I think the guy that made the audio clips must have been playing a Gibson or something (looks at Matt) ;) LoL

...and, Please don't be offended Matt. I love a lot of your stuff. I just think you sound best with other stuff. If I wasn't a brave man I would never have ordered that Twinface based on those clips. It would have been a shame if I had never bought it tho. Guaranteed I'll never sell it.

suphuckers said:
...and, Please don't be offended Matt. I love a lot of your stuff. I just think you sound best with other stuff. If I wasn't a brave man I would never have ordered that Twinface based on those clips. It would have been a shame if I had never bought it tho. Guaranteed I'll never sell it.

lol...No offense taken...Glad you dig the mod, that's the important thing!

http://youtu.be/UQ3wCQAP_Cw?list=UUwFwlxntGNFSI2GfDH3kpAg

Aight well since I felt like I ran my mouth so much, here's a clip.

There's a little clipping that I didn't hear in my monitors when I recorded it, and the playing sucks (made this @5am before I even had my coffee LoL)

This should give a better idea of what the Mod can do.

I forgot to switch the module to DLX mode (Which I like better). I recorded the whole thing in Twin Mode, and I also didn't have the guitar set right. Tone was in a weird place and the volume wasn't up when it needed to be to show the full harmonic content and etc etc. I know blah blah excuses lmao.

I'm just trying to convey that this Mod is still better yet than I have made it appear to be.

hmic10 said:
It is I

HMIC10- Appreciate the feedback - try adjusting the internal trim pot as matt stated earlier, but mark your starting point so you can always go back to a reference. Also, the vibrato is very um shall i say transparent at lower levels - intended to be like that - very subtle.. try it about 9 oclock and let a chord ring - its very subtle but very cool in my opinion.

Thanks,
Johnny

suphuckers said:

There's a little clipping that I didn't hear in my monitors when I recorded it, and the playing sucks (made this @5am before I even had my coffee LoL)

I forgot to switch the module to DLX mode (Which I like better). I recorded the whole thing in Twin Mode, and I also didn't have the guitar set right. Tone was in a weird place and the volume wasn't up when it needed to be to show the full harmonic content and etc etc. I know blah blah excuses lmao.

I'm just trying to convey that this Mod is still better yet than I have made it appear to be.

Nice sounds, I didn't expect it to get as heavy as that. Really liked the clean tone.

suphuckers said:

Nice clip man....Sounds good and shows off the tones nicely...

But I gotta ask, Mr. Crowley was what you found missing from the Twinface demos??? :p Would have never guessed...

LoL@Matt No, it wasn't about the song selection
In fact I actually liked your song selection ;)
...but even this clip doesn't do the mod justice.

Marco, it'll get even heavier. Notice I never even touched any of the knobs. They are all set somewhere between 5-8, and like I said my volume wasn't even turned up on the guitar. It's a very versatile module. Much like the actual amp would be. It gets pretty much any tone the amp can get.

withmittens, that Maggie looks like an interesting mod. ...but if you can only get one.... Just sayin

I never would have imagined that a Twinface would get that grunty. I will point out that it is the Mesa circuit that is doing that and not a Fender circuit. That said it sound pretty great. The clean Twin sound is nice too with the Mojo switch. I bet the Deluxe is similar but more full, like a Deluxe ought to be. is it miles better than a stock Deluxe/Blackface?

These two amps are fairly ubiquitous in the music I play so I can't go wrong with a Twinface, there is always either a Twin or Deluxe available somewhere where I go.

the Supra handle clean as well as overdrive sounds?

Does the Maggie sound like a small amp? does the Supra?

I have a stock blackface, and yes the twinface is MILES better.
...and yes the dlx setting is fuller sounding
Matt or Johnny (or someone else) can probably answer those other questions better than me.

Edit: ...and Matt It wasn't really even the playing either. I actually kinda like that bluesy clip. I just wasn't hearing the tones I was hoping that module would give me. So I didn't mean to say... (and I shouldn't have said it the way I said it) Point was, the available clips just weren't showing what that thing can do. That's all I meant to say.

I think pushed is just another gain stage pushing the fender circuit, and not really a mesa circuit.

Actually, older boogie and dumble circuits are just pushed blackface fenders. In fact I could hear a bit of Robben Ford's tone in that pushed mode.

withmittens said:
I never would have imagined that a Twinface would get that grunty. I will point out that it is the Mesa circuit that is doing that and not a Fender circuit. That said it sound pretty great. The clean Twin sound is nice too with the Mojo switch. I bet the Deluxe is similar but more full, like a Deluxe ought to be. is it miles better than a stock Deluxe/Blackface?

These two amps are fairly ubiquitous in the music I play so I can't go wrong with a Twinface, there is always either a Twin or Deluxe available somewhere where I go.

the Supra handle clean as well as overdrive sounds?

Does the Maggie sound like a small amp? does the Supra?

as i understand it, the Pushed is it;s own circuit, it does not work on either the Twin or DLX. It's unto itself. It would be much cooler if it did add a gain stage to either Fender circuits. This would be more useful and unique

Find the soundcloud clips for the twinface where they play sweet home alabama