SG Criminal & Breakneck Clips - With Solo'd Guitars!

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike P

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I cut a track today with both the SG Criminal and SG Breakneck. My signal chain has changed, as I swapped out the Celestion Classic Lead 80 I've used forever for a new Celestion Lynchback. I spent about 20 hours breaking in the new speaker and I'm really happy with the results.

The signal chain is as follows: Les Paul w/Burstbucker Pro>RM100 w/ARS 12ax7's and a 5751 in the PI, Ruby 6L6's>Bogner Cube w/Lynchback>Mojave FET 201>Vintech 273>Apogee Rosetta 800 clocked to a DA16x. No EQ, no compression. The solo'd guitars have zero reverb and delay. All tracks mixed ITB.

Enjoy!

Full Tracks:

Criminal: www.mikeplas.com/mcm/handsofstone-criminal.mp3

Breakneck: www.mikeplas.com/mcm/handsofstone-breakneck.mp3

Guitars Only

Criminal: www.mikeplas.com/mcm/handsofstone-criminalguitars.mp3

Breakneck: www.mikeplas.com/mcm/handsofstone-breakneckguitars.mp3

Nice. I think the Breakneck sounds more raw in these clips than the Criminal. Nice tones Mike. You're getting some good sounds out of that LP. I have an LP with BB pups. I don't like it AT ALL. I can't get it to sound like that though ;) Great Work!

iekobrid said:
Mike P said:
My signal chain has changed, as I swapped out the Celestion Classic Lead 80 I've used forever for a new Celestion Lynchback.

What prompted the change?

Long story, short, essentially, the move into my new studio. The Classic Lead 80 sounded fine in my old amp closet but when I built out the new studio and amp closet, the speaker sounded much different.

As I detailed in my studio build-out thread, I was experiencing phasing due to the 3" Marketek foam I was using and replaced it with a pair of 24x24x4 705 panels and two Producer's Blankets. This "trued up" the closet so I was hearing the exact details for the first time.

Unfortunately, I didn't like what I heard. Every guitar track, regardless of module or guitar, had serious midrange bumps (anywhere from 1680-3200). It made the guitars sound thin and weak and even with EQ (which I don't like to do), they still weren't right. I racked my brain until one night, I went to the Celestion website and listened to the YouTube video of all of their speakers.

After previewing, I was really impressed with the Lynchback and Vintage 30, which never recorded properly for me in the past (now I know it was phasing, not the speaker). Once I heard the Classic Lead 80, I heard the same exact characteristics that I didn't like in my guitar recordings. So, I took a flyer on the Lynchback, broke it in for 20 hours or so and cut these tracks yesterday.

As always, Mike P writes super cool grooves. I was quite a bit more drawn to the Criminal - both in full tracks and solo. There was better mid clarity to my ears in the Criminal.

Thanks for these!

MikeP, this is a badass tune. It's incredibly difficult to say which I like better. They both sit very well in the mix. Overall I think the low end of the Breakneck is the cherry on top for these riffs. On the other hand the Criminal's shined in the palm muted chugs. Just my first impression with cheap headphones.

My other favorite MikeP tracks I've heard are cracked, bustedandbroken, racetheman and nodirection. There was some magic going on in your previous setup as well.

Thanks for posting these. I have a Criminal and have been pondering whether I want a Breakneck. It sounds like the Breakneck is kind of like a meaner variation on the SG XTC red channel, whereas the Criminal has more of that Marshall-descended sharpness.

Hey Guys,

Thank you all so much for the kind words. It was my pleasure to post both versions and please let me know if anyone has any questions about either module.

Thanks again! :D