diy ideas for a Recto module?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RHz

Reaction score
I've got a second stock Recto module and looking for any ideas regarding simple diy modifications. I've been thinking about doing the grail mod I've read somewere in this forum. But before i do i want to know if anyone has tried any other mods to a Recto module?
I haven't got any special tone I'm chasing just want to try something different. I quite like the stock Recto module with a tubescreamer in front of it, so I'm going to keep one as it is for now.

If there aren't any other ideas I'm going to start with changing the tubes for a pair or mix of at7 or a au7 tubes. Anyone tried lower gain tubes in high gain modules? What can i expect?

Btw i know the obvious answer is, send it to one of the pro modders and get a "real" module. I would love to, but money is an issue. And i can't justify spending the cash right now.

Thanks in advance

I love the stock recto with the TS9, just as well as my Soldano preamp with a ts9. But to get real tight saturated tones without TS9 I got a nice mod:

-cut out the shelving resistor to the gain pot, but leave the // cap. This leaves you with, effectively, a smaller coupling cap. It will provide a bit lower gain, but much tigher.

-Parallel the 39K with another 39K (just solder 1 extra on top). This will recover the lost gain and looses a bit of that typical grating tone quality.

-If you have enough gain, you can choose to cut out the last 1uF cathode cap. I hate these, as a final cathode cap allways gives fizz. You'll loose saome gain though....You might like the 1k-100K couple better then the 1k8-220K couple... but that involves a bit more soldering work.

Try it out and report back for more suggestions

Goodluck,
T