Where's the color gone? A bit lighter topic

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oregon

Reaction score
I miss seeing the colorful modules of days past (since it's not the 80's we don't need Fucha :D )

And no...I didn't buy the Buddy cause it's purple, but it's a cool looker for sure.

I'll admit I have lots of different colors on my handful of guitars. Just never loved plain I guess (I appreciate a nice see though or design.)

Oh! I know we need a Theatre of Pain mod that has the Dr Feelggod tone, with the classical acting theatre happy an sad mask. I did like that tone.

Remember one of the 1st super ugly strats which were factory set up with gross Pepto color, black neck, generic humbucker - I think '86 or '87 and Floyd Rose...brrrr and no I couldn't even try it. If that was your fave, I sorta apologize.

Well I hesitated to comment Oregon, but what the hell.

My opinion is the exact opposite. Who woulda thunk it? lmao

I like things plain and simple. Whatever time you were going to spend "decorating it" please spend making it sound good.

In fact I tend the take the decorations off of every single thing I own. I have a coupla' Harley's... I think one of them still says Harley Davidson on it somewhere, but I'm not sure LoL. My speaker cabinets are all flat black.

I really dislike a buncha flashy gawdy nonsense. Id be happy if a module sounded great and had a magic marker written on the front to tell me what the switches do.

I mean... I like beautiful things but...

Amps/Modules are for playing music. Not for lookin' at.

Women. That's what they are for. ;) At least for the 1st 10 minutes anyways.

A Hot girl in a nice dress, jewelry, makeup, perfume... all decorated up lookin' beautiful. There ya go.

My amp? Not so much.

My car? That's for going fast (That's plain black too) Please spend whatever time you were going to spend decorating it, making it better/faster/reliable.

Now my daughter and my woman.... They have all these decorations all over the place. All this junk hanging off the rear view mirrors of their cars. Pink Gym bags. 50 dangle's off their keychains etc etc.

Me? I have 3 different outfits.. clean/dirty/inthewasher LoL

Keep it simple.

Edit: About the most flashy thing I have is a candy apple red guitar. ...but it's a solid candy apple red. Beautiful, but still simple.

I'm with you, Oregon. How do you make an Orange guitar (with black pickups and a black pickguard) more flashy?

Guitar_zps3c921b68.jpg

I wonder who's sounds better? ;)

35+yr old piece of swamp ash. Painted by me, with a very thin layer of Nitro. Hand selected Custom made to order QSawn Maple neck (almost an inch thick) Hand selected Indian Rosewood. The fretwork was done by hand by a very skiller Luthier. Hand wound pickups. Vintage style push back wire and etc etc.

Nothing wrong with your guitar drew. I'm just sayin'. I'd spend my time doing other stuff that's all.

This is also not my best guitar, but I picked it because its black and makes the point.

suphuckers said:
I wonder who's sounds better? ;)

It's more than just flash. Completely rewired under the hood and the frets have been touched up -- not that a Prestige Ibanez frets need much work.

Hey, just because you spent an exorbitant amount of time under the hood of your flat black Trans Am -- doesn't mean it's gonna outrace a Yellow Ferrari. :wink:

Edited to add: this is far from my best guitar OR the most flashy one I have. There's better and less subtle guitars in the collection.

As far as the topic goes of sprucing up modules. I'm all for that too.

drewiv said:
Hey, just because you spent an exorbitant amount of time under the hood of your flat black Trans Am -- doesn't mean it's gonna outrace a Yellow Ferrari. :wink:

Not to start a rivalry or fight or anything, but if I spent that much time under the hood of my Camry you'd be reconsidering your yellow paint lmao

Plus this is a Fender Fullerton Dan Smith Piece of Ash. The rest of the parts are all hand made. Most of my guitars have hand made bakelite pickguards on them. High quality CTS pots.

In this scenerio, I'm the one with the Black Ferarri, and (sorry) buy you've got the yellow Trans Am lmao. Don't let the plain black paint full ya. I think you kinda missed the point on that one.

Edit: Just because you put a flashy Ferarri logo on the hood wont make it a Ferarri ;)

..and that's kinda the point here.

I wouldn't waste my time puttin a buncha colors all over my gear. Modules or anything else.

drewiv said:
As far as the topic goes of sprucing up modules. I'm all for that too.

..and I like the way these Modules look. I think the Mark is too busy, but Clean that's a better word. You guys would say "plain" I'd say clean.

Edit: I mean the reason I'm saying all this is because I kinda really don't like when I find a module (or anything) that I like and it's got all this crap all over it lmao.

I mean... not that most modules do have a buncha stuf all over them, but Id rather just keep it that way. Thats my point. You buy a module and you pay the extra for the custom faceplate. Please don't talk Rob or anyone else into putting all this junk on their stock faceplates that I have to look at ;)

I'd like to see different color modules also. I have a blue camerock (full disclosure: stole the idea from someone in Cali. after seeing it on Facebook) that looks way better then the stock black one. I was about to get a green S1S0, but then Fig and Johnny started teasing us about their new venture and froze my spending.

Drew has some pretty awesome faceplates on his dualies. Some of my favorites are: the Voodoo Amps faceplates, BE is very cool in a subltle way and I even think the Toxin is pretty bad ***... even if it is Poison based :lol:

Oh and that Fender from the 80s... I think I have the one you are talking about... the HM Strat... only seafoam w/ a Kahler Spyder.... sanded it down in the 90s and now it's a beautiful John Deere green :twisted:

lintycreep said:
Oh and that Fender from the 80s... I think I have the one you are talking about... the HM Strat... only seafoam w/ a Kahler Spyder.... sanded it down in the 90s and now it's a beautiful John Deere green :twisted:

This is actually a body from a Lead III. Bodies from that time are not all equal. ;) Plus I think the HM was made much later

Hell, I like flashy and I'm not apologizing to anyone for it. Looking good (flashy) has nothing to do with the performance of anything. Just because someone spent time making something look good (flashy) doesn't mean they didn't take the time to make sure it was up to snuff in the performance realm. Why stop with performance when you can make it look good? That's just being lazy and stopping before the job is done -- in my flashy opinion. :lol:

Shout out for the Toxin!

Sorry... told you I took too long to post it... did see you and Drews posts

responding to this...

Remember one of the 1st super ugly strats which were factory set up with gross Pepto color, black neck, generic humbucker - I think '86 or '87 and Floyd Rose...brrrr and no I couldn't even try it. If that was your fave, I sorta apologize.

yeah I get ya drew. I'm just giving my opinion... you can have your too ;) but its not really about being lazy. I mean I spent days and days on the black finish. It's razor thin. You really could have no idea what I went through on that "plain black" guitar Hehe

lintycreep said:
Sorry... told you I took too long to post it... did see you and Drews posts

responding to this...

Ohh yeah that was soo 10 minutes ago hahah

drewiv said:
Hell, I like flashy and I'm not apologizing to anyone for it. Looking good (flashy) has nothing to do with the performance of anything. Just because someone spent time making something look good (flashy) doesn't mean they didn't take the time to make sure it was up to snuff in the performance realm. Why stop with performance when you can make it look good? That's just being lazy and stopping before the job is done -- in my flashy opinion. :lol:

I mean. I literally probably spent 3 or more months putting that black guitar together. Sanding it, shaping it, finishing the body. Then finishing the neck. Then the wiring and etc etc. The hrs in that thing are mind boggling. How long did it take you to slap in those pups and pickguard? LoL Its not about lazy.

Yes I think its better to spend time making things sound better, but I also just think that stuff is silly. I mean if you like it than fine, and I don't really care. Do what you want. I think everyone should. I'd just hate to see a buncha flashy Modules, but that's just me.

In this you're correct. I really don't have any idea what you went through on that plain black guitar. For all I know it's the best guitar my hands could ever lay themselves upon. I have no issue with how it looks either. I like plain, I like flashy, I like in between. There's a place for everything.

suphuckers said:
yeah I get ya drew. I'm just giving my opinion... you can have your too ;) but its not really about being lazy. I mean I spent days and days on the black finish. It's razor thin. You really could have no idea what I went through on that "plain black" guitar Hehe