Ubersonic Tones

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

audiomidijace

Reaction score
Here's a link to a Playlist on my Soundcloud page.
https://soundcloud.com/jace-nuzback/sets/ubersonic-tones
It has three versions of the same track each using the same guitar and JF Ubersonic settings for the rhythm guitars. They are listed A, B and C.
Each was recorded very differently. I'm curious as to which version of the three you think sounds best. I'm not saying that any of the three are perfectly recorded, I'm just curious which recording method you lean towards.
Thanks for the input all.
Jace

Nice track. Very nice playing. I like track B the best. It just has a little more punch in the tone. Track A would be 2nd and track C 3rd.

This module is one of the only modules that I still have GAS for. But the tone here is much like my Afterlife when I got it. I loved the clips of the Afterlife. Got one and was a bit disappointed. But that's probably due mostly to guys that know how to record tracks and/or my shitty playing of my own Afterlife.

If you ever are curious to try an Afterlife, please let me know. Maybe we could do a trade to demo for a week. I have done this several times here with others.

Thanks for posting your song!

I liked A the best. Everything just seemed clearer on it, I could hear more of what was going on.

B & C I couldn't split for a favourite. They both sounded good, just different. A bit more bite or sizzle to B, but I could decide whether I preferred B or C

I prefer B, then A.. last C..

Maybe a blend of B and A would be best. \

What did you do differently? Different mics? Different mic positions?

Well, I guess that's all we're going to get.

A=Two Notes Torpedo C.A.B. using Ownhammer IRs. Signal coming from the RM4 main output. Double tracked in stereo.

B=Double tracked, stereo Shure SM57 with an Aphex preamp.

C=Double tracked Miktek CV4 tube mic stereo with SM57 blended in mono all using an Aphex preamp.

The only mic stand I had available for C didn't allow me to properly position the mic. I went and bought one that allows me to do it properly. I'll try to cut the tracks properly in the next couple of days and see how it sounds. I'll post them when I do.

Thanks for playing along.
Jace

I've enjoyed combining a good IR from an RM4's line out with a mic'd speaker for clarity and punch. Although I haven't been able to play much in a bit.

Nice to see varied opinions presented in a friendly manner again in the forum!

B is still my fovarite..

Listening back, A is good, but indeed misses something. I think there are better IR's out there.. or you could even make your own.

I've been able to make my own IR's from my own mics and cabinet... I could not distinquess it from a life recording using that same mic and cabinet..

If you're interested I can explain how you can make an IR yourself without any additional software besides your DAW. This way you could also make an IR an room mic. Rooms mics really add something to make it sound bigger..

A little late on the action, but I found A and B in a contest for the winner spot with B having a bit of advantage. C didn't really do it for me. It didn't sound bad, but it just lacked som high end and prescence to my ears. Overall really nice recordings and tune. great work :D

tschrama said:
B is still my fovarite..

Listening back, A is good, but indeed misses something. I think there are better IR's out there.. or you could even make your own.

I've been able to make my own IR's from my own mics and cabinet... I could not distinquess it from a life recording using that same mic and cabinet..

If you're interested I can explain how you can make an IR yourself without any additional software besides your DAW. This way you could also make an IR an room mic. Rooms mics really add something to make it sound bigger..

I for one would love to know how to do this. None of the IR's capture the tone I get from my speakers/cab since it's kinda rare, and all the ir's fall short IMO..

here you go:

http://guitarampmodeling.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=19606

NB: for the recording novice: A close mic'ed cabinet sounds nothing like a cabinet sound to you in your room. The hard bit is to make it sound as thunderes, big and meaty with double tracking and room mic's.

But IR's from this method are undistiquisable from real live close mic'ed cabinets.

I'll see if I can find that PDF again...

I re-recorded with the CV4 tube mic properly positioned and added the new file to the playlist. This is what "C" should have sounded like.
https://soundcloud.com/jace-nuzback/sets/ubersonic-tones

It's still double tracked in stereo with an SM-57 blended in mono.

I'd like to get my hands on an EV RE-20 mic again. It's still my favorite mic for recorded electric guitar.

That being said, I'm pretty happy with the results I get from the Two Notes C.A.B with the Ownhammer IRs. Plus it lets me record anytime without waking the family or bothering the neighbors. It's not a gratifying tone to me while I'm recording, but it works pretty well in the mix.

Jace, I confess, I stole (bought) your first Uber :lol:

Anyhow, the riffs are very cool. To me, this song says "I'm a badass villain and I'm out to get you."

B and CV4 are my favorites with a slight edge to B. My ears detect a tight and articulate crunch. Tasty. Nice playing!

I hope the Uber is treating you well!
I miss my purple LEDs!
It's funny, to get it the way I want it I have the bass boost off with the bass and mids at 9 O'clock. The Uber just slays though! :twisted:
I didn't realize how much I missed it until I started recording this track.
Thanks for the feedback and the kind words.