pedal circuit in module?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RHz

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I've got some questions for any of you modders out there.

Is it possible in one way or another to incorporate a pedal cicuit (or part of) in a module?
For example, I've got two favourite tones which includes overdrive pedals, a marshall jackhammer boosting a sl+ module and a ibanez ts7 boosting a Recto module.
Would it be possible to build these pedal circuits into the modules? I'm guessing the big problem would be the power suply for the pedal circuits? But if it is possible, would this be a very complicated build and not worth the effort?

In short, you can't really put any pedal circuit into a module and get the same results as a pedal up front. The main reason being the first gain stage is in the amp, not the module. That prevents it from being apples-to-apples.

Ahh, naturally.. that never crossed my mind.

But out of curiosity, would it be doable? Even though it wouldn't obviously be the same as i first intended.

Thanks for the reply Rob :)

The Scott Ian 1987 module is supposed to be his old Marshall JCM 800 being pushed by a boost pedal. I believe Dave Friedman designed the module. Mine does not sound like two separate entities, nor can I tell what kind of boost Scott wanted to emulate. Nice mid-gain Marshally mod though.

My pleasure RHz, hope it cleared some things up for you. I suppose you could install something like that in the very front end of the module with some degree of success. The Silverado uses a second PCB inside it with a diode clipping circuit. It's in between gain stages, involves a mixer circuit and not up front, but it's doing a similar task to what an OD pedal would.

It sure did! Just somewhat anoying that i didn't think of the first gain stage before the modules..

Hmm, so its quite possible to approximate a od pedal in a module. Would it also be possible to include maybe a gain and a tone control to the diode clipping circuit or a balance control for the mixer circuit? Maybe with some internal trim pots?
For example, when i use the jackhammer boosting the sl+. I sometimes (depending om my mood) turn back the gain on the amp and turn up the gain on the jackhammer, for a harsher distortion and tone.

Thanks again for the follow up Rob!

SDWR:
it would be interesting to know what pedal he used with his jcm 800 and how the tone compares to the module..

RHz said:
Hi everyone

Is it possible in one way or another to incorporate a pedal cicuit (or part of) in a module?
For example, I've got two favourite tones which includes overdrive pedals, a marshall jackhammer boosting a sl+ module and a ibanez ts7 boosting a Recto module.
Would it be possible to build these pedal circuits into the modules? I'm guessing the big problem would be the power suply for the pedal circuits? But if it is possible, would this be a very complicated build and not worth the effort?

I've been thinking to use the free triode of the input tube as a boost, voiced like a TS9...would be extremely cool if I could make if switchable, or asignable to a channel..

tschrama:
That's a realy cool idea! Would be even cooler if you could get it to work! You've got to report back if you ever do ☺

The Rossness:
Isn't the nuno sign randall head based on his marshall boosted with a rat pedal?

RHz said:
Hi everyone

I'd think your biggest enemy are dimensions
Power could be improvised with an auxiliary source
but a Pedal PCB can't be made much smaller without sacrificing something

also: for the effort and money involved creating something like this
you might be better off getting something like a Voodoo labs GCX instead
More flexibility below the price of a pedal+module+modification

SDWR said:
The Scott Ian 1987 module is supposed to be his old Marshall JCM 800 being pushed by a boost pedal. I believe Dave Friedman designed the module. Mine does not sound like two separate entities, nor can I tell what kind of boost Scott wanted to emulate. Nice mid-gain Marshally mod though.

Scott used a TC Booster+ Distortion
add7cff71b039769b80fe60735e69467.png