It all starts with the pick!

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

audiomidijace

Reaction score
I've been using the same brand and model of guitar pick for 20 years. I **** you not! It's a Clayton Acetal teardrop. In the last few years a switched from .63mm to .80mm. Somehow I manage not to lose too many of them so I've been using the same picks for quite a while. I decided to order some fresh ones and to try some 1.00mm as well. When I went to the website I saw they had the same teardrop shape pick in something called Ultem. So I ordered some of those in .94mm. The new Acetal .80mm did feel much firmer then my old ones so that was a good move. The 1.00 feel pretty stiff, so I may not use them. But I was blown away with the "sound" of the Ultem picks! They have so much more attack and everything sounds SO much clearer! When I switch back to the Acetal it sounds muffled and compressed. 20 years of muffled and compressed!!!
As picky as we are (See what I did there?) about our modules, tubes, cables, etc. We should take the time to try out some different picks to improve our tone as well.

dsmetal14 said:
Do you know what material the Ultem picks are made of?

This is all they say about them:

Ultem is remarkable for creating crisp clean tones, on even the dullest of strings. This pick is made of the highest grade material to ensure your guitar produces the cleanest, brightest tone available. This pick closely resembles the true sound of actual tortoiseshell that is so widely desired. However, it will not fracture like tortoiseshell and is one of the strongest picks on the market.

I like the ones with the pot leaf on 'em. And certain styles I also like metal picks (especially when using a pick on bass, which I don't always do.)

Jazz iii XL ultex are a winner for me lately. Way more attack than the old dunlop nylons I've used for so many years.

It?s a real bad habit I can?t break? I?ve been using these picks for 35 years and I can't use a regular pick.
23414073033.jpg

To add to the problem, I hold the pick completely wrong with my thumb and middle finger. Oh, and I play with the side that has the ridges (for her pleasure).

I have used the deep toned Tusq picks. A guy gave me one and said he couldn't decide if he liked them or not. I wasn't that impressed with the tone difference but mostly I didn't like the feel of them as much as the Dunlop picks I'm used to. I think it would make a bigger difference on acoustics but haven't tried it yet.

If I'm using a pick, on guitar or bass...it has to be one of these. I can't even remember a time when I used anything else! I bought like 500 of them 20 years ago when I worked at a shop that sold them, and I don't think I've even bought a pick since. If only I could settle on amps like I've settled on picks.......
HercoregNylonFlatPicksFlex75-11.png

here's what McMaster says about ultem. you could buy a sheet and punch them yourself I guess, and save save save. http://www.mcmaster.com/#ultem/=v3ifwl

I tried out the Cool picks recently and I think I like them, http://elderly.com/accessories/names/cool-picks-beta-carbonate-guitar-picks--PKBC.htm

I've used Dunlop nylon with grippy texture for decades, but I like these Cool BetaCarbonate with rubberized grip. I drop picks like mad. I kind of wish there was a pick that wrapped around my index finger

Imma try them there ultem .73 with grippy hole thing next http://www.steveclayton.com/flex-ultem.php

The shape is half the battle for me.
I can't play normal sized picks.
Teardrop or similar only.
I used to play something like this:
http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/tortex-jazz
Back in the day they were purple and I would file them to a sharp point.
When I found the Claytons they seemed sharp enough as is.

Yep, all picks sound different. I've been using Pickboy picks since the late 80's a for about 10 years, I couldn't get them in the US, so I'd buy a gross. At one point, I was down to about ten picks but fortunately, they became available again around 2008.

MarcoR said:
To add to the problem, I hold the pick completely wrong with my thumb and middle finger.

EVH does, too. I tried it for a little while in the 80's but it felt unnatural to me, so I went back to forefinger-thumb.