effects

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dd20 seems to be working pretty well in the loop for me. Even with mod volume between 12-2. Not much but a few boosts and mxr flange up front coz I sold it all to fund mods...

I'm a fan of the DD20 too. It supports +4 line level and you can save 6? presets. Really good sounding pedal delay.

I picked up a Digitech HardWire DL-8 on a blow out black friday Musician Friend sale for $59. It works well in the hot RM50 loop and sounds great.

amesav, what are you looking for? Something that will work well in the loop or just effects in general?

amesav said:
Thanks MarcoR yeah something that works well in the loop

What effects are you looking for? Musicians Friend is still having that $59 sale on the DL-8 Delay.

A used Rocktron Intellifex will work great in the loop and give you great delays, nice verbs (depending on the algorithm), okay pitch shifting and modulation effects for around $100-$150.

If you want to skip the BS and budget options, get an Eventide Eclipse (I just got one). That reminds me, I may have an Eventide Timefactor, Pitchfactor and Space for sale shortly.

+1 on the intellifex... allthough I hate the programming of that thing and the pertinent delay on the pitchshift algorythm.

Right now I have a TC Nova Delay in the series loop. Nice!

I've had an intellifex, an eventide h9 & now a GSP1101.

The intellifex is good, very transparent, but I was never able to get it to work well in my series loop - it always clipped out on me, even with an ebtech line level shifter.

The H9 is an amazing piece of gear - massively versatile, easily programmable, expandable/upgradable, and fairly transparent. But, it takes the high levels in the RM loop even worse than the intellifex. I had to get an Egnater loop gadget to get it to work without clipping. And, in doing so, the whole setup became a tone sucker. So, I got rid of the H9 & the loop gadget.

I recently got a GSP1101, and it's the best of the three hands down. I can get it to not clip either by using it's own various level controls, or my ebtech. I use the ebtech just to attenuate the RM send signal, and use the GSP's output level to bump it back up to the return. The GSP is completely transparent - I cannot at all tell it's there. The fx are great, and in using the 4cm you can use it's stompbox OD/Dist fx in front, everything else in the loop, and even use it's internal preamp models, all on the fly via midi.

So, in my typical long winded fashion - I definitely recommend the GSP1101...

I haven't experienced any problems with the Serial send level yet. If your handy with a soldering iron, you can replace R55A (22k) with 18K-to-4k7-to-GND. Take the output from the 4K7 end. That'll bring down the level to -10dB

tschrama said:
I haven't experienced any problems with the Serial send level yet. If your handy with a soldering iron, you can replace R55A (22k) with 18K-to-4k7-to-GND. Take the output from the 4K7 end. That'll bring down the level to -10dB

That sounds like a nice clean fix, but I'd need more detailed instructions i.e. Pictures... In any case, I can't imagine any fx unit is equipped to handle the levels coming out of that send jack - that is with module volumes anywhere above 10 o'clock to noon. I refuse to run my module levels anywhere below 3 o'clock, as they lose a good chunk of their tone. So, I suppose if you're running your mod volumes on the lower side, then I wouldn't expect that you'd have any issues.

MarcoR said:
I picked up a Digitech HardWire DL-8 on a blow out black friday Musician Friend sale for $59. It works well in the hot RM50 loop and sounds great.

I used the Hardwire pedals in the loop of my RM-50 (delay/chorus/verb) and they worked great for a few years. I've since switched to the TC Flashback and Hall of Fame, which I find more versatile. But I wouldn't hesitate one second to pick up a DL-8 at that price.

Corium_AZ said:
tschrama said:

That sounds like a nice clean fix, but I'd need more detailed instructions i.e. Pictures... In any case, I can't imagine any fx unit is equipped to handle the levels coming out of that send jack - that is with module volumes anywhere above 10 o'clock to noon. I refuse to run my module levels anywhere below 3 o'clock, as they lose a good chunk of their tone. So, I suppose if you're running your mod volumes on the lower side, then I wouldn't expect that you'd have any issues.

True, I run my modules usually around 11-oclock, 12-oclock max. Most modules start clipping at about 2-oclock. That clipping can reduces some of the fizze trble spikes, and adds some compression.

tschrama said:
Corium_AZ said:
tschrama said:

True, I run my modules usually around 11-oclock, 12-oclock max. Most modules start clipping at about 2-oclock. That clipping can reduces some of the fizze trble spikes, and adds some compression.

I guess that's what I like about running the mod volumes higher, lol. I seem to get a much fuller tone, bigger bottom end & less harsh highs. But, same goes for my clean mods too - just don't sound as good below 3 o'clock. Just fuller, smoother & more present I suppose...

I guess it depends on how you run your power section (and what tubes in all positions) as well... I never run my power section master above 9 o'clock, so prefer getting my clipping from the pre's.

Corium_AZ said:
The intellifex is good, very transparent, but I was never able to get it to work well in my series loop - it always clipped out on me, even with an ebtech line level shifter.

Then I would almost certainly say something was wrong with the intellifex

-

I'm using a MPX G2 (with a RM4/RT2/50)
Most if not all FX are above the Intellifex's quality
Pre and post-fx with superior routing
though the menus are deep, they are also complicated and cumbersome, and the programchanges leave a gap when switching
therefore mine is soley set up for CC commands (which took a few days to dial in for only clean/rythm/lead)

The unit is getting old, and I may be replacing it in the future for the GSP1101
I figure it won't be a step back because the 1101 is the grandchild of the G2 and 2120
(the G2 was taken out of production in favor of digitech being for guitar and lexicon being for studio effects under their umbrella company Harman)

If you run your module volume past 2 oclock, I think the stage that receives all the module signals is clipping... it's not power amp clipping.