Lee Jackson mod?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Rossness

Reaction score
The other day I was playing an old Ampeg Lee Jackson amp. I had never played one before, but really dug the tone. Then it konked out on me after about 10 minutes of playing.

Has anyone ever done a Lee Jackson MTS Mod?

The VLs are great amps that have inherent build flaws. A mod would be great-make sure to include that 5way mid selector!

Not sure what Ampeg you are talking about. I bought the SVT from JF and it is really nice for bass and Bari cleans. I also used to own an Ampeg guitar amp and almost had Rob design one but went with something else. Contact him over at JF and he will do you right. I have had him design a couple for me like an old Gibson GA-50 and also an early Marshall "bluesbreaker." They are stellar!

ricky said:
Not sure what Ampeg you are talking about. I bought the SVT from JF and it is really nice for bass and Bari cleans. I also used to own an Ampeg guitar amp and almost had Rob design one but went with something else. Contact him over at JF and he will do you right. I have had him design a couple for me like an old Gibson GA-50 and also an early Marshall "bluesbreaker." They are stellar!

Its in no way connected to an ampeg SVT. This is the amp. I think its called a VL1002-
ampeg-vl-1002-100w-160003.jpg

It sounded superb, but the tubes got all fuzzy after about 10 mins of playing. I think a module version of this amp would be cool, and it would be reliable, unlike the actual amp.

I have a long-time local customer who LOVES these and has four between the 100 & 50-watters. I service them all about every other year. They are the ultimate amp to him, which is cool. Not my cup of tea at all. I can appreciate them at lower gain settings and Mids cranked, but I don't think anyone sets them up that way.

They remind me of all the other stun-gun/hive-of-bees stuff that SLM was putting out at that time period (see other Ampegs and Crates). They are plagued with all the same quality issues as all the PCB SLM amps. I probably see more boards with burn damage in Ampeg than all other brands combined.

I've owned the three-channel combo version for decades and never liked it as anything but a versatile tube power amp. Every time I attempt to use the preamp(s?) I think "This cannot possibly be how it was meant to sound" and drag it to a service shop where I'm told "Nope, that's it alright." :lol:

http://www.leejackson.com/images/VL503.jpg

I bought one when they first came out,very unreliable,never was able to get t fixed right....turned out to be a $1100 paperweight/doorstop....I actually took it to the local landfill when I moved about 10 years ago.....He also designed the Crate Stealth.....never played one,but have heard clips,they sound good....always get tempted to buy one when I see one....they are only about $250-$300 used....The Lee Jackson amps are supposed ot be more reliable.....worth more used it seems....but Ive seen them cheap in some places....same goes with the Metaltronix amps......