A real JCM 800 (unmodded) Vs. 4 Modules

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That was really cool. Very hard to tell the difference to me with earbuds.

My experience tells me that I like the Salvo mods a lot but my first venture into modded modules was with JF. I like the feel and response better with those in most applications.

Your comparison makes it sound like the same tones could be had with either. The differences are in the room for me.

I took a picture of the module settings (it is on the Facebook MTS page). I borrowed the JCM from a friend who bought it recently and said it is from 83 or 84. I'll see if he can send me a picture of it. The preamp gain was about 6.5 anything higher didn't make much of a difference. I started with bass mid and treble at 5 and adjusted from there. The bass and treble probably went up a little and the mids probably went down a little. everything was reamped through a Riviera rock crusher line out back to my computer and I used a cab simulator plugin with the same setting on every recording. For the modules I came out of my RM4 into the effects return of my Egnater JCM 45 so that I could use the power amp section. I did adjust the presence and density knob differently for each module. Check out the picture of the mods and see how different each one is set...it is surprising. No reverb or post effects except dither to make the recording 16bit/44.1. Thanks!!

Tempee said:
I took a picture of the module settings (it is on the Facebook MTS page). Check out the picture of the mods and see how different each one is set...it is surprising.

I can't find those pics. I am interesting to see if the change your settings reflect what I hear and feel between the Salvo and JF mods.

Egnater/Randall MTS Users and Fans

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Egnater.MTS/

Tempee said:
Egnater/Randall MTS Users and Fans

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Egnater.MTS/

Not as different as I thought they would be. Those settings are about where I keep most of my mods.

I could not hear much difference at all. My question would be how do they feel? I can get a lot of amps to sound the same but the feel is a world of difference.

This is a great comparison, still listening but anyone who says you can't get very close with MTS is clearly very wrong. \m/

Ricky, I started with my Mesa 2:90 power amp and I was close but the low end bump and the chesty growl I was getting from the Marshall was not there. I also didn't like some of the modules, the Brahma and Mash-oldano were way off. I almost didn't use them. When I switched to the Egnater for power everything changed for the better! Also, I put a Voodoo labs Sparkle drive mod OD pedal in front of the the JCM 800 and it sounded great! It was snorting fire for sure! I didn't use the sparkle drive in the recordings but that is a cool pedal because you can adjust the mix of direct signal and distorted signal.

I dont think this forum has teh ability to attach photo's. Dont worrie about it. You have given lots of info to wotk with.

I'm interested because I have a (1981?) JMP 2203. I don't think I can get that sound out of it. (You happen to know your B+ on the PI etc on your JCM800 2203 ?) . So I tried it with my TSL60... I can get close with the 3rd channel, gain on 2-3 but not close enough..

Tempee said:
What is the best way for me to post pictures here?

I struggled with this for a long time. I use photobucket. Very easy upload. Then they supply you a link to your photo to copy and paste here. When creating a post, just hit the "Img" button right above where you are typing. Then paste the link in between the two symbols:

You can post pics, but it's a pain. I use photobucket ti get the code this foram's program takes.

I felt that Vishnu had a little more character for this comparison vs. the the other mods.

You can post pics, but it's a pain. I use photobucket to get the code this foram's program takes.

Here are directions in the forum FAQ:

http://mtsforum.grailtone.com/faq.php#24

I felt that Vishnu had a little more character for this comparison vs. the the other mods.

You can get close but my experience is that nothing beats the real deal. For a feel and detail between the notes.. the real 800 does it better. That said, no reason why you couldn't throw the brahma on a track and say it was an 800 and anybody really know. There are so many ways to mic amps and get tones that an 800 will sound different from one user to another. Not drastically different but enough that anything close enough can sound similar. (if that makes sense) I'm pretty much recording my 800's only now. The thump and detail is what i love.