Randall SL+

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

werdna

Reaction score
I am thinking about getting another medium gain Marshall type module. I currently have a Randall Plexi with a Jose mod. I am thinking of getting the SL+ because I hear it sounds like a JCM800 but with extra gain can sound like a Soldano. Or should I spend more and get a Camerock and/or Salvado?

Mattfig said:
You should save and get a Mashall, Camerock or Salvado for sure my friend...Not even a comparison between those and stock mods...Night and day difference.

+1

Stockers are a waste of time in comparison...

The Randall SL+ is a good module and has more gain than a Marshall JCM -800. It's easy to start covering the same ground with Marshall based mods. I would suggest something in the Doug Aldrich vein. (Camerica ?)

Stocks Vs. Mods.

I often do not hear a huge difference between stocks and mods - especially on you tube videos. But I play my modded mods 95% of the time. Listener fatigue sets in waaaaaay quicker with stock mods. I never get tired of my mk22! So - the difference is like night and day.

I have a little SL+ problem. Last week I had: a stock SL+, Sacred Groove SL+, Sacred Groove MK22, and a Mr Scary. The stocker got a bit harsh at volume, the Mr Scary is an improvement, but a bit more Soldano like. The Sacred Groove SL+ is a big jump in clarity with the same gain as the stocker, while the MK22 is more of a stock Marshall gain range compared to the other three.
I ended up sending the stock SL+ off to be a donor, but I do think it was one of the strongest original mods, as evidenced by my keeping multiple variations/upgrades on it.

This may sound judgmental, but I don't waste my time on the stockers either. Most of my mods are JF and his Marshall stuff kills. I have one of Anthony's Salvation Buddys and it is also slays. I just can't do a stocker after these guys stuff.
they are well worth the money.

Thanks for your advice people. In my band, we play heavy rock. I have a Plexi that has been slightly Jose modded. It has loads of crunch, not much compression, and is quite bright. But I need another module, one that sounds Marshall but is a bit heavier. It doesn't have to be modern searing gain, just something the sounds like Slash would use it. What would you recommend: Camerock, Mashaldano, Mashall or Spawn?

werdna said:
Thanks for your advice people. In my band, we play heavy rock. I have a Plexi that has been slightly Jose modded. It has loads of crunch, not much compression, and is quite bright. But I need another module, one that sounds Marshall but is a bit heavier. It doesn't have to be modern searing gain, just something the sounds like Slash would use it. What would you recommend: Camerock, Mashaldano, Mashall or Spawn?

Out of those I would say Spawn. Another to consider if you want that raw aggressive biting Slash type tone is the JF Ultralead, recently renamed Calilead.

werdna said:

This might help with your decision...It's Mr. Brownstone played on a Spawn...

https://soundcloud.com/mattfig/brownstone-played-on-salvation-spawn

The thing is that I really want to buy a Soldano type pre-amp, just because the sound is so great. For my RM4, I could have my Tweed, the modded Plexi-Jose, the Spawn and a Salvado. Do you think that would be adequate to cover Rock from the 80s to 00s, from GnR to Chevelle, from Tool to Godsmack?

werdna said:
The thing is that I really want to buy a Soldano type pre-amp, just because the sound is so great. For my RM4, I could have my Tweed, the modded Plexi-Jose, the Spawn and a Salvado. Do you think that would be adequate to cover Rock from the 80s to 00s, from GnR to Chevelle, from Tool to Godsmack?

YES!

Resurrecting an old thread. I'm curious about the Spawn module. To the point, I already have a Camerock, Brahma, and SL+. Does the Spawn cover some territory that these don't?

If so, out of that lot which would you sell or trade to have the Spawn? Why?

Appreciative of any advice. Thanks.

Hiya,

The Spawn has a pretty unique feel and while it sounds like a Marshall when chording, it sounds pretty different for leads...More articulation....

If I had to sell one of the bunch I would sell the SL and grab a Spawn from MotorCity Mods before the sale ends! :)

Mattfig said:
Hiya,

The Spawn has a pretty unique feel and while it sounds like a Marshall when chording, it sounds pretty different for leads...More articulation....

If I had to sell one of the bunch I would sell the SL and grab a Spawn from MotorCity Mods before the sale ends! :)

I can't disagree with this.....the Spawn is even unique from the Camerock.

I think I've owned 'em all now, still own both Salvation and JF take on the Splawn...plus the Camerock, all different.

The Spawn can get heavy as **** too.

Actually still have a stock Mr Scary...even though it's very close to the SL+...still different from any mod. :)