Nailing tones in the MTS world

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikegyver

Reaction score
Just thought I could start a discussion for everyone to share their successes or frustrations trying to nail tones (or come as close as possible) to famous sounds.

I'm currently close to the EVH brown sound with my JF Grail Tone, but still not nailed yet (waiting on Foglifter + new tubes + speaker setup). Also close to Brian May's famous Vox AC30 Queen sound with my JF Voxless.

I know most modified modules with minimal settings will fool the average drunk listener at a bar into thinking "that's the sound!", but I'm curious if anyone has certain tones nailed (preferably proven with sound clips).

The only sound I ever tried to reproduce (since mostly all I do is sit around making up my own stupid music), and normally this isn't a sound I'd ever go for anyways, but... For 27 seconds I thought I heard the ever elusive EVH tone coming out of my SG Criminal. I then (at a later date) tried to reproduce said sound (while my friend played the guitar) and I was not successful. The moral and the reason for my post... A guy walks up to Eddie's amp, and picks up the guitar. Does he sound like EVH? Not a chance in hell. He sounds like himself playing on EVH's gear. Now do the reverse... EVH comes to your house. Does EVH sound like you? Not a chance in hell. EVH will sound like EVH even if he's playing on a altoid can amp.

Haha, good point. I know what you are saying that "tone is in the hands/fingers" but I really don't buy that bullhonky. Technique is in the hands, but tone is in the equipment. When I play an open A chord or the intro to "you really got me", it will sound 100% the same as EVH :)

Regarding the EVH tone, all I'm missing is a little of the upper-mids "whine". Like during the chorus and other parts here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFZ6sT--MZ0

I suppose I've really been after Charlie Starr's tones - from Blackberry Smoke (great tones & great player). Hence my run through every Orange and vintage type Marshall module available. Still hasn't quite gotten there yet tho, But the closest I've come is with the Salvo Graphic with a dirt pedal out front. I think a lot of his tone is in his guitars... Or maybe it's in those foot long sideburns, lol.

The JF Grailtone nailed the brown sound for me. It was worlds better than SG's bully IMO and I'm probably going to buy another one some day in the future.

An interesting think I read about Brian May was that he never used Top Boost on his AC30's He'd just crank the normal channel. An old Digitech Brian May pedal might help too.

I'm not really into nailing tones, but I am into fooling the average drunk listener at a bar. All that being said, I have had fellow musicians (I use the term quite loosely on myself) say that I've nailed the Dookie tone with my JF 59BJA and I've nailed the Flesh & Blood tone with my JF Toxin. I know, I know, two tones everyone on the forum is jealous of...

I have never bought into the modules coping a particular amp. A module just gets the sound or it doesn't (in combination with my other gear and hands).

I couldn't get a brown sound I liked out of the GrailTone to save my life but my custom QuickMod nails it for me. A close second is the HBE.

Once I got chewed out for suggesting an Egnater Erect to get Matt Bellamy (Muse) sound because it wasn't modeled after a Diezel... but to me, it just sounded like that sound.

Way back in the day (80s & 90s) it didn't matter if I was playing a Fender or a Marshall but I always got compliments and was known for nailing the tones of the covers we'd play.

I don't buy into modules being designed to replicate a particular amp; maybe in theory, maybe in the ballpark but the sound is a sum of all the pieces in the chain and the way you attack it on the guitar, IMHO. :D

I'm with Marco on this...I got passable Marshall imitations when I was using a Mesa DR...there's a lot of other equipment in your chain other then the module.

..not to mention Tone is in the ears of the beholder :)

The only tone I've replicated was Foo Fighters "Everlong."

Using JF Erect, and a G&l with a Billy Corgan bridge pup, and the volume on the Gtr at roughly half output. Not really the same ingredients as the Dave G's rig.

Typically, I search for my own tone, so I'm with the folks here regarding its your fingers etc.

I've been in the ballpark with other mods and Gtrs to certain tones, but I prefer finding sounds that are more my own.

I'm not interested in capturing someone else's tone with the MTS modules, I'm trying to capture my tone with each MTS modified module.

What I need from each module is to sound like me playing through the emulated module. So for example, when I play through the SG MK22+, does is sound exactly like me playing through a 1979 two input Marshall JMP? Does the Super Clean sound just like me when playing through a Fender Twin? Does the Criminal sound like me playing through a 5150 MK3?

At the end of the day, that's all that really matters.

PS - I'll have some new clips in the next week with the Criminal and Spawn. I'm extremely happy with both modules. :D

The trouble is that what you hear is tone and techniques all as the same as ONE thing at the same time and it is hard to distinguish between the two. It's a fact that a good technique (clean picking, good string muting, etc) will bring out the best of what the amp can offer and no undesirable "noise". I once wanted Robben Ford's tone.... then I saw him playing a strat into a tube screamer into a twin reverb... then I realized I wanted to be Robben Ford.

For the recorded tone chasers out there, remember that the tube power section/cab/speaker(s)/mic @ mic-position/mic pre combinations have as much or more to do with many recorded tones than the guitar preamp.

The Two Notes Torpedo which can accurately emulate any cab(s)/speaker(s)/mic-position(s) or analog filter speaker sim(s), plus many different tube power amp sections is absolutely golden with MTS.

Not only does this eliminate SPL restrictions in that you can crush the virtual tube power amp at any SPL or DI'd, it also takes most of the weight out of a tube rig as you can run lightweight solid state power (as well as better duplicating recorded tones etc).

http://www.two-notes.com/en/

All true, it of course starts with the playing first and foremost!

mfgobbi said:
The trouble is that what you hear is tone and techniques all as the same as ONE thing at the same time and it is hard to distinguish between the two. It's a fact that a good technique (clean picking, good string muting, etc) will bring out the best of what the amp can offer and no undesirable "noise". I once wanted Robben Ford's tone.... then I saw him playing a strat into a tube screamer into a twin reverb... then I realized I wanted to be Robben Ford.

What modules, whether Randall or Salvation, JF etc, are the best clones of amps?

werdna said:
What modules, whether Randall or Salvation, JF etc, are the best clones of amps?

All aftermarket modules (Salvation, Jaded Faith, Sacred Groove, etc.) are generally far superior to the Randall and even Egnater stock modules.

It all comes down to personal preference, each vendor offers their own flavor modeled after famous amps/preamps, which one does it best is your decision. There isn't a bad one out there, just listen to clips, do some thinking of what tone you want and you can't go wrong.

I know Jaded Faith makes custom ones based on album tones or a certain band/group you are going for. From Metallica to Phish to Eric Clapton, you can get it all.

I've never thought about getting a particular players sound through the mods I purchase. The whole reason i buy the mods is to get as close to the circuitry of the amp I want in the convenient mts package. to be able to switch at will and play with the sounds a circuit makes.

when I listen to all the music i like and read about the gear that was used, i get excited because i can hear a certain energy that the player had as he or she reacted to the sound of the gear and the obvious inspiration that resulted. i want to get that charge too when i plug in and attempt to get a similar nuance in a tone or sound. I do get that and it gets me excited to hear it and this inspires me to play more and different things.

But I've never nailed a tone. except maybe a genre or a certain style or feel. I think you can get just about anything with these mods. remember, records are momentary things. made up in a studio. Live sounds are just that, live and dynamic and always changing.

just my $0.02

I got the best clone of the tone from Self Titled Rush with a Mr. Scary module. I added some old black plate RCA 12ax7s, and Scumback speakers. My guitar loaded with Gibson 57 pickups helped as well. This combo made all kinds of great Marshall style tones at every gain setting. Should have kept my original setup! alas it didn't get used much at the time.