Brahma Module..."Tried it/Played it" thread!!!

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goldwing68nv

Reaction score
well,lucky for me,i'm located in the Chicago n.w. burbs area,about 30 minutes from Brookdale Music/Naperville,Il...so,today,i raced over to (finally!!!)try out the newly released "Brahma" module...seeing that i'm no tone "guru",by any means,i'll be the first to give my 2 1/2 cents about the module(please bear with me,guys!)...well,the Brahma,to my ears,sounds pretty similiar to the Plexi module.i didnt really have a chance to crank the Lynch head too loud,plus traffic was horrible,so i got to the store 25 minutes before it closed up for the night.i was surprised at the considerably-less amount of gain available on tap,compared to the Mr. Scary module.still,knowing that the Brahma module is described as a Lynch variation of the classic plexi tone,i somehow expected a higher level of gain to it.not to say that what gain it has is good or bad,it's just that i somehow thought that,gain-wise,the Brahma would sit somewhere in between the Plexi and the Mr. Scary,maybe closer to the Mr. Scary side.imo,it's much closer to the Plexi side...apart from that,at a medium-volume level,i couldnt really discern the subtle tweaks & differences that the Brahma may have from the classic Plexi tone.i had a SL+ and a 1086 module in the Lynch cab to do some a/b'ing with...otherwise,the Brahma has got a cool look,all its own.i've played the Mr. Scary countless times and,personally,i'd pick it over the Brahma for 80's Dokken tone,granted i like the SL+ best for hot-rodded marshall tone,though......so,now i'm curious to see what other guys,that get this module,end up thinking about it and how their ears perceive its "tone" to be!!!

I just got my Brahma module today. I was actually expecting it to NOT be a high gain module only because I had a heads up from the Randall rep that I communicate with on a regular basis who had given me his personal evaluation and that is what he said--that it wasn't very high gain. Previous to that however, I was expecting a higher gain module (George Lynch, aka, "Mr. Scary", metal guitar player, etc, etc.). I don't have the Plexi module but I have the Brown which I guess is supposed to be between the Plexi and the SL+ in terms of gain and the Brown has more gain than the Brahma. Thus far, I'm wondering if it was intended to be a more classic module--more like the actual '68 plexi itself rather then a hot rodded version. Although I was expecting it not to be heavy on the gain because of what I was told, it's even less gainy than what I was expecting. I tried it first with a Fender HRR Strat with a Dimarzo Super Distortion. It really has a more "classic" tone to it--less gain then my Brown module like I said. Being that it's not very gainy, it really doesn't seem to be a stand alone module for metal--it's going to need a push from something--a Tube Driver or something. As for a more classic application--I'd have to give the nod to the Brown because of it's gain. Tonally, the Brahma is very nice--very crisp and woody but just not enough gain IMO. On the other hand, I flipped to the single coil in the neck and the Brahma works really realy well for a nice warm Texas blues tone--it has the big, warm vintage sounding mojo going for it in the regard. I switched to my maple body tiger with Duncan Distortion--and that was a nice improvement for the Brahma tonally, better gain, but still, I'm surprised that, even tough I had the gain wide open, playing Kiss of Death etc is not working. I can make out a Lynch-esque tone, but just not enough gain. I got my Dan Donegan module today also--now that is a very versatile module. Classic plexi to modern high gain tones from that thing. I guess I'm not sure what to make of the Brahma. But then again, I was disappointed when I first got my Mr. Scary. It sounded a bit "honky" to me until I dialed it in--esp. with a Duncan Distortion behind it, I love it for solo work.

...very interesting on that last response from Caine.i thing he's hearing the same thing i did,when i played the Brahma.i agree with,basically,everything he has said.that's what my ears were telling me also.i definately wouldnt call the Brahma a hot-rodded tone,more of a vintage/classic plexi tone,with some tweaks to it,per Lynch's input...speaking of George Lynch AND this Brahma module,i just got home after a great evening of watching Lynch play,about ten feet away from me,for two hours on his ESP/RANDALL clinic at Sam Ash in the northern Chicago 'burbs.he played back & forth on his famous original tiger-stripe ESP,his new ESP Super V guitar and an ESP Eclipse(les paul copy),i believe.he showcased the Lynch box 100-watt mts head,loaded with the Super V,Brahma & Mr. Scary modules!!! the Super V had that "chime" to it.sounded real nice.the Brahma sounded better to me,now that i heard it played pretty loud(and by the master,himself).incidentally,George DID specifically mention,about the new Brahma module,that he "loves to play it with a pedal in front of it"(i.e. a tube screamer,etc...)that answers more about HOW he likes to play through that module.also,he specifically mentioned something very important about the Brahma.it was,indeed,modeled after a '68 Plexi,which IS what he wanted,and after much fine tuning & countless tweaks,he mentioned that he couldn't tell the difference in tone between the real-deal '68 Plexi & the finished Brahma module...that answers more questions.that's why the phrase "hot-rodded" doesnt really apply to this module.it's going after the classic tone of a specific Plexi head.next,George mentioned that the Mr. Scary is the exact-emulation of his Dokken days tone-no question about it.lastly,and i thought this was interesting seeing that i just recently purchased the Grail module,was that George briefly talked about the Grail module,which was sitting,unused,on top of the Lynch box head.he mentioned that the Grail module was based on his love of the older rectifier tone WITH a bit of Engl Powerball characteristics thrown into the preamp design...pretty neat! originally,i didnt care to much for the Grail when it first came out,but after i heard a local guitarist play through one live one night a few months back,i was blown away at how great it did really sound.i decided to "go for it" and bought one.definately liking it alot.gives me a nice change in tone from the Marshall thing!!! ...well,hope this info enlightens you guys a bit...hope to read more posts/reviews about the Brahma soon!!! btw,one last thing.i,also thought that one of the two modules,Brahma or Mr. Scary,were going to be significantly higher-gain than they are...maybe i'm just too heavy for my own good??? LOL!!!

Okay, I just send some time checking out the Brahma with a pedal in front of it. In the past, I have tried different configurations with pedals and modules and, at least with the Marshall based modules that I have, (Brown, SL+) and the Mesa (Grail), I never really liked using a pedal--just used the gain on the module. With the Brahma, it sounds SWEET with a tube screamer, Boss OD or DS1. I'm thinking I like the DS-1/Brahma combo the best so far. Now I'm feeling pretty good about this module. I posted a question for Gerry, George's guitar tech, in the Dojo, so hopefully I can find out just exactly how George is using his Brahma. I can also email George and ask him but I'll wait and see what Gerry says first.

Maybe GL is using the Keely Time Machine... or a DS-1. Do you have a Soldano GTO that you can try?
I'm waiting for my Brahma still but I'm looking forward to boosting it with the GTO!

Khing

Now you got me curious about the GTO/Brahma combo. I hadnt planned on getting a Brahma but if you get good results I just may. I really just need a reason :)

well,at the ESP/RANDALL clinic,last night,somebody from the audience asked George about what one of the larger pedal boxes,on the floor that he had & was using,at times,was.GL replied that it was a "custom distortion pedal" that he had made for him.i was right in front of George,but just behind the first row of guys.i could see the pedal that he mentioned.it was chrome,about 2-3 times the size of the boss delay pedal,which was next to it,but i coudnt see any labeling on it,though,from my angle & distance.thinking about it now,i wish that i would have payed attention to "when" he turned on that pedal & "which" module it was being used in conjunction with.George did NOT specify what pedal he specifically uses in front of the Brahma,when he commented on that module,but he does use something with it(to push it,i guess?),so he says!!!

A friend of mine lent me a GTO for a week,That thing rocks man,he is looking to sell it,what are those things worth?Sorry for the offtopic subject..

The GTO's are going for a good price right now. I got mine shipped from Souther States for under $300 CDN... it's in used but very good condition.
When Soldano discontinued them L&M sold them for $449 CDN new.When they were still in productuion they sold for approx $650 CDN and I've seen them go for as high as $750 CDN.

You should be able to get one for under $300 on Ebay.

I've got a feeling that the GTO is gonna go back up in price and that the current price is a reflection of them being "sold off" at a lower new price.

They are a wicked overdrive/boost/distortion pedal.
I run mine with Tung Sol 12AT7's for a volumn boost with slight gain increase. With my Hot Rod 50 it's transparent.

Khing

Well, I asked Gerry, George's guitar tech about how he uses the Brahma. I asked within the Dojo member's message board which is exclusive to Dojo members. I asked if it was cool to post that info here and he didn't say no in his response so here is what he said...

My question: A month or two ago, a Randall rep I communicate with fairly often, had indicated that he had tried the Brahma and was surprised that it didn't have more gain. I received mine today and same reaction. So far, others on the MTS forum have said the same. Gerry (or George), how is George using that module? Can you give us a run down of his set up and settings? Thanks.

Gerry: George's settings on the Randall LB change from time to time depending on what he's doing and lately it's been working on his new recordings.

The Brahma module was voiced to match the tone of George's '68 Marshall plexi head which doesn't have a whole lot of gain until you turn up the volume...and then it's rippin'! Have you tried that on the LB?

On the Brahma module, the gain is at 5-7, bass is 10, mid is 5-6, treble is 7 and presence is at either 3 or 8 depending on the room. The density knob fluctuates between 6 to 10 depending on the room too.

Actually this module is my favorite George tone on the Lynch Box amp because it's very close to the tones he's been getting in more recent years. The Mr. Scary module is the signature Lynch-tone and is a high gain module...so if you're lookin' for gain at lower volumes that the Brahma can't provide unless you crank the amp, switch to the Mr. Scary and you'll be in sizzle land!

My follow-up question: Gerry, cool, thanks. Someone on the MTS forum said he saw George at a clinic recently and that George indicated that he likes to use a pedal in front of the Brahma. Is that correct and if so, what pedal? Also, is it cool to repost this info on the MTS forum?

Gerry: George has been using the Cusack Screamer pedal which is from the Tube Screamer family but has a little more bite and sizzle to it. I love that thing! He's been using this pedal for almost three years now and it's just great. He uses it in front of the Brahma module as he had done using it in line with the '68 or '67 plexi Marshalls that were in use up until the Lynch Box was fully developed. The Brahma was modeled after these amps and it sounds wonderful. The Cusack pedal is kicked on for solo tone and the controls are simply set with all three knobs at around the 12 o' clock position.

Gerry also indicated that the modules that George is using are the stock store bought versions... no mods, and the prototypes are back at Randall. What you buy is the same as what "the master" is using.

good deal...thanks for inquiring further on what i had posted & more,Caine!!! always interesting to find out more dirty,little guru secrets.

That was some great info from gerry thanks for sharing Caine.

There is some very good news.... I got te Mr Scary and Brahma today after a hellish six month wait... it was well worth the ahem... wait.

First off I'd like to mention I'm happy to hear GL say the Grail is ENGL inspired... I got my grail back in November and my first impression was not Dual Rec but ENGL all the way... I mentioned this in my very first review of the mod. For the record the Grail is one of the best mods I've heard as far as unique modern tone goes... it sorta dips into Soldano territory aswell but more like Soldano with depth mod... it's more gritty than a Soldano.

Speaking of Soldano and being a Soldano owner I can say this... Mr Scary is bang on Soldano tone... BANG ON. It's rich and screamin like the finest Soldano going... I am loving this mod for sure.

The Brahma is the mod that set me back some... it's plexi no doubt but plexi with more "soul". The top end is absolultly plexi perfection and the botton is slightly more focused IMHO with the mids being tweeked for a sweeter vowel like singing quality with all the plexi sparkle that comes with that signature Plexi gain type.

First I ran the mod guitar to amp with no effects at all... guitar, cable, amp.
Then I ran my Soldano Supercharger GTO in front but through a Morley A/B/Y switcher... Guitar, cable, morley, cable, GTO, cable, amp I use all Monster Cable Studion Pro 1000 even on the head to cab.
I tweeked the tone till it was as transparent as I could get it ( GTO's are very transparent IMHO ) then I uped the gain just a hair the Braham mod gain is at about 3 o:clock, then I uped the output to drive the signal with enough volumn boost for solos. The GTO drives the Brahma really well. In truth they are of the same family as the Brahma was developed to go with the Mr Scary. The true difference is that the Brahma has exceptional sparkle whereas the GTO does the liquid gain... very complimetry IMHO.
One thing for sure is that the Brahma is not a bedroom volumn mod... it's begs to be cranked... and crank it i did with awsome results.

These are my first impressions of the Mr.Scary and Brahma... time will tell more.

Khing

khingpynn said:
There is some very good news.... I got te Mr Scary and Brahma today after a hellish six month wait... it was well worth the ahem... wait.

Khing

Thanks for the review, bro. I have to check put the Brahma.
Did Randall compensate you with any gifts or swag like they promised? :roll:
Tung

yeah,the Grail module definately sounds like a cross between Dual Rec & Engl tone.i bought this module,recently,and i'm really,really liking it alot! very clear & tight tone...btw,i'm glad to hear more positive,detailed reviews on the Brahma module from you guys...seeing that it really comes to life & shines when cranked up,hard,i can see how my first impressions,while trying it out at a local store,didnt impress me all that much...

I think it's the tightness and little tweak on the tone stack that pushes it closer towards Modern High Gain, ENGL type tone...I've owned 3 ENGLs (Powerball, Blackmore and SE) and it's not that close IMO but I can see why people are saying it.

I can get Powerball tones (how the PB sounds in the room anyway..I can't record for toffee!) with ease on the cap modded Ultra Module though :D

Thanks for that input JKD.

Tung... no brother I did not recieve any swag as I was promised by Steve Baldwin... but when I do I will let you know.

Goldwing68... As it stands right now bro, and I have to be fair because I just recieved the Brahma and Mr Scary mods, the Grail is my fav mod... likely due to the fact that I've been playing it as my main tone for a while... had time to tweek it... it has definetly grown on me. In a month that may have all changed... I have not played the other two in a band situation yet either. I am blown away by the Scary's accurate Soldano tone, it's on the money there and the Brahama has me very excited as I'm an old school Marshall tone junky.

Khing