What's Your "Recording" Rig?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scary groove

Reaction score
Hey I been out of the home recording thing for a while. I used to use a couple of mics and M-Audio into my PC and using Adobe Audition. While I believe I still have those, there are a lot of new things out there that are great for recording. What are you all using to record? Let's hear about it. Thanks

I've recently built new recording PC's for family members and have chosen the Steinberg UR22 as the recoding interface, which comes with a free version of Cubase AI7. I have to say, I have been blown away with the sound quality and options of the UR22, which MAP's at only $149! The included Cubase is surprisingly power and the perfect integration with Cubase is incredible.

Also, as far as third party plugins go, I bought into the recent IK Group Buy, in which I received five plugins for the price of one and again, I am blown away at the quality. I already own Waves Horizon, Studio Classic Collection and the CLA Classic compressor but, IMO, the IK emulations of the Neve, SSL and UA compressors are head and shoulders above Waves (plus, no iLok2!). I'd highly recommend to anyone wanting Neve and SSL emulations to demo. They were a no brainier for the Group Buy.

Hi scary groove,

I am using Reaper as DAW. For audio input I used a Focusrite scarlet 2i2 and I recently upgraded to the 18i8. The 18i8 has 8 mic inputs, 4 of which are XLR with phantom 48V power. It works great for recording 4 mics simultaneously, e.g. 4 different speakers, or 3 speakers and a room mic.

For mics I have the usual suspects and vintage mics, but I'll name some new models:

-Shure PG57, which I like actually better then th SM57 it imitates
-Prodipe TT1, more highs then SM57, yet smoother.
-100$ ribbon mic, long ribbon type. There are Various brands for these. Right now I use it a figure8 room Mic. Up close to the speaker it has way much proximity effect.
-Studio Project B1, cheap large condenser, Works also great for close miking a cab
- I recently bought two Mic Clamps, so I could fic the mic on to a Cab. Works great, far less mess in the room this way.

I use ProTools Eleven. My interface is a presonus 16.2.4 or some bunch of numbers. I have some nice mic pres like Manley, Toft and Grace plus a bunch of cool mics. However. i am finding it easier and easier to use my MTS stuff w/o going to the speakers---MTS RM4 into the Two Notes with Ownhammer IRs. It sounds great.
The one thing I do miss is the ablity to crank the amp up really F#cking loud and get lots of cool feedback and stuff. If anyone has figure out how to do that with the IRs, please let me know.

I ams seriously considering picking up one of these:
http://www.fryette.com/power-station-integrated-reactance-amplifier/

seems to solve a lot of my existing problems and will play nice with my Verellen Preamps.

I ams seriously considering picking up one of these:
http://www.fryette.com/power-station-integrated-reactance-amplifier/

I'm loving mine. Very versatile piece of equipment for $600. Here's what I've tried so far:

The Good:
Power amp for M4 - sounds very good
Set it up as wet rig - very fun!!! Never would've had the equipment to try this before
Played Acoustic through line in - sounds surprisingly good
Attenuator - pretty transparent, only tried briefly tho

The Bad:
Line Out isn't working - just sent an email to support tonight. Hopefully it won't be a big deal.

Keep me posted on the line out issue.
I plan on using it a lot. I am digging the idea of blowing the dust off of my rm100 - if only to use as a 3 channel preamp switcher.

fuggit. I just plopped down my order.

Back in 2009 I looked into a budget recording/Silent rig end ended up with this:

EMU 1212M,
Small headphone amplifier
Reaper DAW loaded with LeCab / NadIR, using various IR cab packs
also various VTSs for FX

I use the same PC I use for my everyday use in a dual boot setup
saving the cost of a seperate system
(though I built the PC with audio in mind, hence, for instance, Intel CPU instead of AMD)

Working like a charm for only the cost of the 1212m, Reaper and 2 extra HDDs

Over time I expanded the 1212m with a Beringher ADA8000 because I simply have too much gear for the 2 inputs on the EMU

PowerStation Update:

support got back to me the same night... it appears you can't record from the line out w/ only a preamp going into the line in. Hooked up my amp (amp in) to test and its working like a charm.

You won't be disappointed! I think once more of these get out in the wild, the more popular they'll become. It needs a proper Pete Thorn review!

Oh that kind of sucks. I was hoping to do some silent recording with a tube pre into it. So it needs a speaker output into the amp in? Super weird.

Got home late last night and my Fryette Power Station arrived.
I only spent an hour with it but my impression so far it VERY positive. It made my Verellen Meatsmoke and Skyhammer Pre's sound better than they ever have direct.

Just the fact that I can add real power amp distortion before using an IR in my mac is just bananas. I can't wait to try it out with my rm100.

OMG, get your Powerstation away from that keyboard!!! It's got disease!!! :lol:

Disease? No sir, that is relicc'd.

Actually, I call it a dare.
As in, I dare you to use me.

All of that build up is from 7 years of hardcore freelancing. And two kids that really don't respect the old man's workstation..

horseblanket said:
Disease? No sir, that is relicc'd.

Actually, I call it a dare.
As in, I dare you to use me.

All of that build up is from 7 years of hardcore freelancing. And two kids that really don't respect the old man's workstation..

This reminds me of a couple of boys I saw this weekend washing the dirt (what little there was) off of their truck. They were polishing the crap out of that thing. On the radio was "Call me maybe". Then out of the corner of my eye I caught a group of much younger kids coming down the road. They were laughing and carrying on. As they got really close it became obvious that they (the little kids) were making fun of those older boys.

A little while later I asked one of the boys if his name was Nancy. I don't think he knew what I was getting at lmao.

...and hey linty wtf are those clips? ;)